Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really sad that I only heard about kickstarter two days after this one was funded. I'd been keeping an eye on users trading it and listings in the marketplace. On my birthday last year (December 30) I saw Flash Point: Fire Rescue listed on ebay.com for $0.99 BIN so obviously I binned it and waited to see if it was for real or not. I got the game new in shrink and I only ended up paying about $13 (including shipping)! Apparently it was an error in my favor on the part of the seller's listing. Sorry you messed up, but I probably wouldn't have been able to get this game otherwise, especially not any time soon.

So I got the game unwrapped quickly and punched it and set the board up and beheld the beauty that is Flash Point: Fire Rescue. I quickly read through the rules and decided to play a quick game with the basic rules. I chose the green, blue, and orange firefighters (I'm not a fan of co-ops that you don't get to choose your color because it's tied to an identity/special power) so I liked that aspect.

I was a little unclear as to where to place my firefighters so I just placed all three at the entrances closest to the three victims. I started off the game by walking in and chopping down a wall. I figured it was the easiest way to get to my victim since he was pretty much surrounded by fire. The other two firefirghters moved towards there victims. I started some smoke, and one ignited. I got to the victim with the orange fireman and moved him back through the chopped down wall. The blue and green firefighters also found their victims (one was a cat, the other a girl) Some more smoke and another ignited but I had gotten three victims out pretty much without incident, and only 2 damage tokens used.

Two of the victim were nearest the blue fireman so I let the green put out a few fires while he waited for a victim. The orange fireman had to go back through the chopped down wall to get to a new victim in almost the same place in the house. The blue fireman got to his first victim by using an extra action he had previously saved up (I love that you can save actions like this,) A fire green had put out became smoke again (It wasn't next to another open flame) and I experienced my first explosion. It hit 2 walls and started 2 new fires. Another victim was now right next to the green firefighter (where a fire had just been-that rule is a little baffling to me, but it did make the game a bit easier) Green, blue and orange all made it out with another victim, blue had also revealed a false alarm. One more victim until the game is won! But like a real firefighter I would not be giving up until everyone is saved.

Orange and green got right to their victims and both revealed false alarms. Blue's victim was far removed and required some fires to be put out to get to him. More smoke, another fire and another explosion, lots of damage dealt with this one- one in each direction. Luckily victims weren't showing up in the center room of the house which was completely engulfed, and the doors were closed (I didn't bother with opening or closing doors too much) Orange and green had new victims to go for and got to them within 2 turns (one was a cute little doggy) all three firefighters got out with their victims on the same turn. With only one victim left, all three firefighters entered the and after the green firefighter set foor inside the building the whole dang thing collapsed on them with one giant explosion.

9 saved victims, 1 lost victim, 3 lost firefighters, one lost house. A victory, but a hollow one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fifisdead wrote:
Another victim was now right next to the green firefighter (where a fire had just been-that rule is a little baffling to me, but it did make the game a bit easier)

That is one of the changes between the Family game and the advance game. Points of Interest get bumped based on the arrows on the board if smoke or fire are on the POI spot rolled.

I have decided that I really enjoy this game, mostly for the theme... but, like you, I find that I loose a lot of fire-fighters as the try to get that last person out of the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls