Popular Tags: stores [+] [View All]
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't make it to Columbus very often, but I'll be going to the state fair this weekend and thought I'd see if there is anyplace worth stopping on the way back.

Some googling turns up Hobbyland, Larson's Toys & Games, and Go the game store. Are any of them worth stopping in? Are there any better ones around? Do any of them carry Euros and such?

I'm completely uninterested in minis, ccgs, rpgs, and comics, and stores NW of downtown are on my way home, so most likely will be the ones I hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Driscoll
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As of this week there are four game stores in Columbus.

There is Ravenstone Games on Karl Ct.

The Soldiery on N. High St.

The Guard Tower on Trabue Road

and the new one is called Gamemasters and it is on Lazelle Road near Polaris.

The local phone book can get you the numbers and you call call them for directions.

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The Soldiery is pretty worthless. They always seemed to have money troubles and never updated their boardgame inventory.

(Thi was as of 3 years ago so things may have changed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larson's has a nice collection of educational games. Go is a nice mall store--bringing the more popular titles to the masses. The Guard Tower is where I go to get my Euro game fix here in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Driscoll
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the word I used to describe my most recent visit to the Soldiery was "grim". They were also selling POTSM packs for over retail so beware.

Ravenstone does have a nice selection of board games but the staff does not play those kind of games so you are on your own.

The Guardtower has a bigger selection but don't go there if you are alergic to dust or cats.

Gamemasters is the new kid and they open today. I plan on taking my step-son there this weekend to see what they have.

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Guardtower is the better of the game stores...place to play a game and decent selection.
the Soldiery is a store I would like to like, but just cant for some reason.
good info on the Gamemasters, never heard of it and it is only 10 mins from me. have to check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happend to the Drowsy Dragon over on the east side?

Drowsy Dragon was a small shop run out of the front of a guys house.

When I lived in Columbus, every Sunday my friends and I would eat at Bob Evans, then hit the Drowsy Dragon, then hit the Guardtower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Driscoll
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Drowsey Dragon was purchased by the Soldiery, I believe. Gone but not forgotten.

Do you remember the Drowsey Dragon before when it was called the Soldier Shop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody got a more accurate location for this Gamemasters? Street address, nearby stores, etc?

I'm not at all familiar with the area myself. I figure I can find the road, but I have no idea how prominent the store will be. (Stand alone? Strip mall? ?)

I'll definately check out the GuardTower though. I have a cat, and a 100+ yr old house, so I should be immune to the 'atmosphere'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bruce
United States
Westerville
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gamemasters Strategy is located off of Lazelle Road and Sancus Blvd on the north side of 270 - the Polaris area as it is known.

It is easily accessible from I-71. Take the Polaris Parkway exit (Exit number 121), travel west until the Sancus Blvd. intersection (the 4th light) and turn left (South) on Sancus.

Travel through two lights to Lazelle Rd (at the 3rd light) and turn left. The store is located almost immediately on the right side in a small strip mall.

(There is a 5/3 Bank, a gasoline station, a dry cleaner, and a golfing range at the last intersection.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Driscoll
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, Gamemaster is opening today so I am not really sure where they are. The flyer they sent around at Origins says:

Gamemaster Strategy Game Company
8269 Market Exchange Drive
614-847-4263

Mapquest, Google and Rand McNally all do not show this location yet. The flyer has a map that shows the store near the intersecion of Sancus and Lazelle, probably in a strip mall but until I go there this weekend I am not sure. Sancus connects to Polaris Parkway. It looks like if one were going south on Sancus and one were to turn left on Lazelle it would be on the right hand side of the street.

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks bunches for the info folks.

Of course this is just half the trip, I've still got to put some yarn shop stops on the map so my other half will put up with all the driving around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped off at Gamemasters on my way home from work. They described it as a soft opening. It's a small store without much product yet. One wall and one center, chest high, shelving unit had historical figures on it (which are not my thing so I can't comment one way or the other). The 2nd center shelving unit was bare as was the 2nd wall. The front corner of the store looked like they could display about 10 or 20 Eurogames. I saw Memoir '44, Sid M's Civ, Munchin, and some AH Axis & Allies stuff. I only saw one copy of each and no inventory so I can't say if they had more.

The rear half of the store looked like they were going to set it up for large table-top miniature tournaments....again, not my thing so your mileage may vary.

They seemed to be running around getting things set up and looked to be a few days away from being able to offer much. Go! The Game Store in the Polaris Mall has a lot better selection of Euros than it looks like Gamemasters will have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't sound too promising. Oh well, it wasn't really on the way home anyways.

But there is a Go! store in Polaris? Google turned up one on lane ave, and another at the tuttle crossing mall. (Not that google is up to date or all that accurate of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But there is a Go! store in Polaris?

Yeah, it's pretty new. It took the place of a K-Bee Toys when it left the mall. It's pretty near the food court just outside the Kaufmann's Dept Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only ended up going to The Guard Tower this trip.

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to resist the shiny packages, and now Trias, San Juan and Attika sit on the shelf behind me as proof. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old thread but I spent the day in Columbus today and visited these places.

"Go! the game store" in the Polaris mall. Normal selection and prices for a Go! store.

Soldiery had a big selection of games but not much new or current. A lot of stuff that looks like it's been on the shelf for a very long time. It was difficult to find. I had the address wrong the first time I looked for it but I did go back and find it. Lots of Settlers, Munchkin, killer bunnier, ect...

The Guardtower was my favorite. They had a good selection and a lot of current hot games including some harder to find current games. Games were priced at retail.

Ravenstone games had a good selection. Games were priced at retail.

None of these places had any boardgame events on their schedules.

I couldn't find any information on Game masters and I did not go to the address listed in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pittenger
msg tools
Remember? wowI used to WORK there! By the way the Shindels,the ex owners of the store stopped by to see me today at my job at the main library.Both are good and still living in the area.I just decided to google "Drowsy Dragon" and found my way here. Talk about a blast from the past!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Any changes to the Columbus area? I'm moving in at the end if the week and am anxious to see what there is to offer.

Also, I notice there's Kingmakers now, although I don't think they sell games just provide space to play. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guardtower is still there, has expanded their board game selection a lot in the past few years. It's really busy on the weekends.

Ravens tone is still there, but it's been a looong time since I've been there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guard Tower

http://www.thesoldiery.com/

http://www.ravenstonegames.net/

http://www.comictown.net/ carries MTG sometimes RPGs, haven't been there in awhile to check

For game clubs of course there is
http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Hutchinson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far here is a current list of Game Stores:

The Soldiery
The Guardtower
Ravenstone
Comic Town
Packrat Comics
The Future of Gaming (formerly The Fog of Dusk)
Beyond the Board

There is Kingmakers which is a Boardgame Cafe but as stated previously they do not sell games

In addition to Buckeye Boardgamers there is also CABS (the Columbus Area Boardgaming Society) and Beers and Board Games. I am sure there are a few more groups but those are the few I know exist now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guard Tower is pretty decent. Only been there once, but I liked what I saw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stang
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the Board in Dublin is awesome. Pretty much dedicated to board games. They have open gaming nights, and they have about 100 games you can demo. Bright, clean, and wonderful people running the place.

The GuardTower is great, but more focused on miniatures (Tons and Tons of Warhammer, 40K, Hordes ,Warmachine, etc. They have recently redone and added a lot more boardgames, though. Probably the biggest store in Columbis area.

Fog of Dusk, or whatever it is now, is smaller, and not as much selection. Nice folks though.

Soldiery is more hardcore Magic the Gathering/miniatures crowd, and not really boardgame focused.

CABS is a huge board game club, http://buckeyeboardgamers.org/
meet every week.

Some other clubs:
http://www.meetup.com/Columbus-Tabletop-Gamers/
http://www.meetup.com/boardgames-43201/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheCOGS/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woods
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to store is the Guardtower - clean, professional enough, strong selection...though they look like they've cleaned out their board games a little around the edges (within the last few months).

Soldiery is my "if I must" store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |