Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'am french and I'am going to stay in Boston by September (10 days).
I would like to know if you could indicate me adresses of boardgames shops in Boston.

I intend to buy : Conquest of the empire, Battlestations, Heroscape and Napoléon.

Thanks a lot.

Bye
Arnaud.
a.rostain@free.fr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Well, if you dont mind a drive. About 40 minutes south of Boston, in a town called West Bridgwater is a game store called Scholars Books and Games. He has a far better selection than any store in Boston AND he discounts games 25% off of retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your help

I'll cope with this shops, but if you are anothers adresses I take it

Bye
Arnaud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy wrote:
The compleat strategist, 201 massachusetts ave. Boston

The games people play, 1100 massachusetts ave. Cambridge

Not sure you will find all the games you want at either of them, but those are the 2 closest stores.

Hope you enjoy your Trip

when we visied boston these are the 2 game stores we went to visit. except one is openiing too late (11am), and one is closing too early (6pm). so we didn't get to see anything in those stores. but from the 2 min we stayed in The games people play, they seem to have a large stock of games, and they have all the new games too. looks like a nice place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is true, but I was told that The Games People Play was the first store in the US to sell a copy of Settlers of Catan. Any truth to this claim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Not sure if this is true, but I was told that The Games People Play was the first store in the US to sell a copy of Settlers of Catan. Any truth to this claim?

I live across the street from this store (great store, btw), and recently asked the owner about this, and she was so impressed that she was getting recognition for it. She told me some stories about when she first stocked the game, before there was a Mayfair edition, and how they struggled to translate the German text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
A previous thread on the same topic (game stores in boston):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been to the Games People Play mostly because I buy /trade most of my games online and only heard of it recently. I do go to Boston often, but mostly for book & record shopping. Just around the corner from Games People Play is one of my favorite record stores. I recommend it to any game geek that is also a music geek: http://www.twistedvillage.com/ (web site is not indicative of the actual inventory in store, much more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those shops don't have web site, but maybe email ?

Just because I'd rather emailing than phoning to those shops with my heavy french accent ...!

Again thank you a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you what. I'll pop into Games People Play tomorrow and ask if they have the games you want. I already know that they have Heroscape, but don't know about the rest of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schenker wrote:
I'll tell you what. I'll pop into Games People Play tomorrow and ask if they have the games you want. I already know that they have Heroscape, but don't know about the rest of them.

surprise
I really appreciate, You help me a lot !

I don't know how to thank youblush

thus, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Napoleon game are you looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schenker wrote:
Which Napoleon game are you looking for?

Napoléon from Columbia Games.

Thanks you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golgoth 13 wrote:
Hello,

I'am french and I'am going to stay in Boston by September (10 days).
I would like to know if you could indicate me adresses of boardgames shops in Boston.

I intend to buy : Conquest of the empire, Battlestations, Heroscape and Napoléon.

Thanks a lot.

Bye
Arnaud.
a.rostain@free.fr

Salut!

I have bad news and worse news.

I just checked The Games People Play and the only game on your list that they have is Heroscape, and they are charging $62.00 for it. You could probably find it elsewhere for closer to $40.00. The guy tells me that Conquest of The Empire is out of print, he has never heard of Battlestations, and that he doesn't carry very many Columbia Games--and that you are better off ordering them right from the company.

The worse news? Well, I suppose that's arguable: While I was there, I picked up the store's last copy of Citadels. DUDE!! That wasn't even on my Wishlist! What the hell?!?!? angrysurpriselaughsauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
schenker wrote:
Golgoth 13 wrote:

Conquest of the empire, Battlestations, Heroscape and Napoléon.
... Heroscape, and they are charging $62.00 for it. You could probably find it elsewhere for closer to $40.00.

Certainly. Target, Wal-Mart and Toys R Us all carry it for $40 or less.
Where in Boston will you be staying?

Quote:
he has never heard of Battlestations

Geez. I called them 3-4 weeks ago about Battlestations and they didn't have it. I suggested they carry it any I think he mocked me. I'm not sure, but it was an odd conversation.

When I was looking for Battlestations a few weeks ago, I called most of the game stores within 60 miles of Boston and none of them had it. I ordered it from Thoughthammer.

Since you won't be here for a little while, I know several stores (Your Move Games & Scholars for sure, and probably most others) will order the game for you for purchase in the store. I (or schenker) could call one of them for you and ask they order it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:

Geez. I called them 3-4 weeks ago about Battlestations and they didn't have it. I suggested they carry it any I think he mocked me. I'm not sure, but it was an odd conversation.

Well, he's kind of an odd guy. Since I live right across the street, I often see him in the Au Bon Pain next door and walking around the square.

Quote:
I (or schenker) could call one of them for you and ask they order it.

I'm actually moving back to Michigan on Monday, so Matthew will probably be your best bet from here on out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris R wrote:
Any copies of Dune left in France you can bring me?

The only copy I know belong to a friend...sometime I wonder if that friend belong to the game...

Understand I'am a dead man if I warp his copy to USA...even with a smile.

Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud ROSTAIN
France
Marseille
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schenker wrote:
[The worse news? Well, I suppose that's arguable: While I was there, I picked up the store's last copy of Citadels. DUDE!! That wasn't even on my Wishlist! What the hell?!?!? angrysurpriselaughsauron

That's french appeal devil

Don't regret your buy. You'll have a lot of fun with that game.
By December, in france, we will have an extension (new cards).

Well, I succceed in calling The compleat Strategist with my low english speaking.
He can't get Battlestations and Conquest of the empire is not the kind of game he sells, and he thinks that the game will be orderable in 4 weeks. If I well understood our talk...I'm not sure about It
Eagle Games Announce the availability for 29th of august.

I mull over an other attack plan...Maybe an on-line shop...Night will advise me.

Byesnore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, this brings back memories... I used to work at The Games People Play, back when I was in college, 20+ years ago. Nice to know they are still in business. I assume the same woman (Carol) owns it? If any of you see her or speak to her, tell her "Gus" says hello.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls