BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: women - games you just bought/recieved ? comments ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this thread is lethal..i go ow whats that and that - mandy rattus looks really good..and is that your cat and what kind ? very gorgeous anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jody wrote:
Any thoughts on score keeping? Is it convenient?

I've only played the physical game twice, and both times it was before playing the iOS app, so it might not be helpful, but . . .

My recollection is that keeping score was easy -- there are physical plastic crystals representing honor point VPs, and it's easy to remember to grab them when playing a card. The only other points (that I can recall) are VPs on the cards themselves, and counting them up post-game is also easy.

The one thing that I recall as a potential problem was remembering to use or to factor in all constructs -- the app makes it so easy (by highlighting all constructs with an associated action, automatically adding supplemental rune points, etc.). It wasn't a big deal, but that's the only situation I can imagine something slipping through the cracks (for me, especially now that I'm used to the app doing it for me, lol).

I'm ready for game culling rather than game acquisition, but, still, Ascension is a game I'd love to trade for -- I think we'd enjoy the physical game even though we have the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All four German games arrived today and I've already translated Djam. Having now read the rules, I suspect that the cards from A to Z could be used with it. Both games involve rolling a D6 to choose a topic from a card, and then each has an initial letter objective that varies (based on what you roll in Djam vs. what you haven't already covered in A to Z).

I was surprised to find only 4 topic cards (so 24 categories in total) in Djam. I'll be curious to see whether the categories get old fast or whether they're capacious enough to function as a relatively minor constraint with the emphasis being on using as many of the five letters as possible and doing so as quickly as possible. I'm also wondering about the letter distribution (German vs. English) but have already developed a make my own letter dice back-up plan.

Even as I grumble about it, I clearly enjoy the translation process. Plus the other Attia word game I've played -- Tai Chi Chuan -- is really good, so I'm willing to put some work into this one to get started.

And let me just add that Michael Schacht gets my vote as the most gamer-friendly designer for his consistent willingness to make translations and expansions easily available online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished up some trades and received Mord im Arosa and a couple of abstracts I'm pretty excited about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corross wrote:
jody wrote:
Any thoughts on score keeping? Is it convenient?

I've only played the physical game twice, and both times it was before playing the iOS app, so it might not be helpful, but . . .

My recollection is that keeping score was easy -- there are physical plastic crystals representing honor point VPs, and it's easy to remember to grab them when playing a card. The only other points (that I can recall) are VPs on the cards themselves, and counting them up post-game is also easy.

The one thing that I recall as a potential problem was remembering to use or to factor in all constructs -- the app makes it so easy (by highlighting all constructs with an associated action, automatically adding supplemental rune points, etc.). It wasn't a big deal, but that's the only situation I can imagine something slipping through the cracks (for me, especially now that I'm used to the app doing it for me, lol).

I'm ready for game culling rather than game acquisition, but, still, Ascension is a game I'd love to trade for -- I think we'd enjoy the physical game even though we have the app.

I totally agree. We have both iOS and physical and I must say though it takes some alertness to switch back from iOS to physical (mainly the constructs indeed), we still love it enough to play it very frequently. In fact I must say it's our most played game this year so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omg so many games to look up! I recently received Aton in an auction and we're having a lot of fun with it.

I'm trying to get Belfort, The Speicherstadt, Gonzaga and quite a few others to the table but will likely have to wait until my son's condo renovation is complete. It sucks up all our time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
corross wrote:

I'm with you on the 'game culling' as I have way too many games and my youngest will be leaving the nest in the Fall reducing us to 2-player games. Anyway I'll have to seriously look into trading for it, in the long run it will make me feel better. Thanks for your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mebririth wrote:
I totally agree. We have both iOS and physical and I must say though it takes some alertness to switch back from iOS to physical (mainly the constructs indeed), we still love it enough to play it very frequently. In fact I must say it's our most played game this year so far

This is good to know Joline. I doubt that my husband would bother with the iPad app and I'm looking for solid games to play with him when it's just the two of us.

I was at my FLGS this afternoon and walked out with nothing! I know, my bad... :/ I had the new Power Grid: The First Sparks in my hands as well as Ascension: Deckbuilding Game and expansions and Stronghold. I just couldn't bring myself to buy another game.

I may go back for the PG: The First Sparks, I understand it plays like standard PG without auctions and not nearly as long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
this thread is lethal..i go ow whats that and that - mandy rattus looks really good..and is that your cat and what kind ? very gorgeous anyway

Rattus was really fun, great as a gateway, but had lots of strategy for even experienced gamers. I think this will replace Pandemic for me Must get it! Sorry, I am an enabler. robotrobot

Thanks My cat is a Singapura.

He also wanted to be in the game Cat & Chocolate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Hansen
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I was the turkey all along!
mbmbmbmbmb
Signy wrote:
I still have not played Space Alert which I got more than two years ago

Space Alert has been sitting on my shelf as well. It's been calling my name though. My gaming group is really new and I'm still teaching Ticket to Ride and Catan so I don't think they are ready yet. Maybe one day ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KittyPaws9 wrote:
Signy wrote:

Space Alert has been sitting on my shelf as well. It's been calling my name though. My gaming group is really new and I'm still teaching Ticket to Ride and Catan so I don't think they are ready yet. Maybe one day ...

At least you have a gaming group! But I'm not really complaining because my husband and son are always willing to play a game with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moonika Laine
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KittyPaws9 wrote:
Signy wrote:

Yeah, it does not seem beginner friendly. Fortunately there is larger gaming group in my city that has a lot of players. I've asked somebody to teach me the game there so maybe after that I can read the rules more easily and teach it to my smaller game group.

The rulebook is really fun to read, but somehow it is just more daunting than many other rulebooks. It's not even Vlaada Chvátil writing style because I grasped Galaxy Trucker and Dungeon Lords quire easily.

And speaking of it I have not played Dungeon Petz yet either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered Ora et Labora two weeks ago, and to get free shipping I had to order some more games. So then I ended up with Power Struggle, Railways of the World: The Card Game, Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland, Habitat, Formidable Foes.
The last two were on sale, otherwise I would not have bought them. But there were no other games I wanted, so to meet the free shipping I had to buy something.... (I can always sell/trade them.)

Only played Ora et Labora so far. But I'm planning on playing the Ticket to ride maps and Railways of the World: The Card Game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
I ordered Ora et Labora two weeks ago, and to get free shipping I had to order some more games. So then I ended up with Power Struggle, Railways of the World: The Card Game, Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland, Habitat, Formidable Foes.
The last two were on sale, otherwise I would not have bought them. But there were no other games I wanted, so to meet the free shipping I had to buy something.... (I can always sell/trade them.)

Only played Ora et Labora so far. But I'm planning on playing the Ticket to ride maps and Railways of the World: The Card Game soon.

Heh heh! This made me laugh. My orders go the same way--it's smart of retailers to dangle the free shipping bait! I have made variations of an order for the past two months but not pulled the trigger yet. Instead I have been haunting auctions. In fact, yesterday I was notified I won Fast Flowing Forest Fellers and I don't even remember bidding on it! And Excape is in the mail--at least I remember buying that one which I bought to take on vacations to visit family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MANDY..HAHA funny...i have 3 siamese - always walking or racing over the games - bit everywhere!

POWER GRID the first sparks..how much maths is there really..im no good at adding up or trying to work maths stuff out ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali M
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boyfriend loves the Lord of the rings card game and whilst it's not exactly new in our household, I have finally got the time to sit down and learn it so he is going to teach me the game this evening. I have kind of been putting it off for a while but he loves it so much, I thought that I need to give it a try and battle some big spiders meeple

We have yet to play Troyes, which I am very excited to play as well as Quebec, Upon a Salty Ocean and the Road to Canterbury which he came home with yesterday. haha A lot of games to keep up busy.

x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moonika Laine
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:

POWER GRID the first sparks..how much maths is there really..im no good at adding up or trying to work maths stuff out ?

There is a lot less counting in First Sparks than in Power Grid. And the sums are smaller, if that is any help. Have to warn first timers that there is a small chance to mess up your first round so that you can't compete for the rest of the game. But it is easy to see, just make sure you have enough to feed you people AND buy something next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a good weekend of gaming and had some new games show up on my doorstep this weekend:
- Power Grid: The First Sparks preorder finally showed up. Interesting that a game with Power Grid in the title arrived since I haven't had power in over 90 hours.
- Strasbourg another Feld that was missing from my collection.
- Drum Roll a much anticipated Essen release that I managed to pickup in an auction

I've got so many new games that other than items I've already Kickstarted games, I won't be buying games anytime soon....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope your power comes back on soon and that you're keeping warm. At least you have some new games to keep you busy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just ordered thanks to mandy rattus and both expansions..ill have to wait as its for my march birthday..ordered octopus too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not read the spoiler if you are trying to resist from purchasing another great game...that has CAT-apulted to my Filler of choice...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For an Entree or Dessert:
After you've finished the main meal of Rat(tus) infestation, you'll need to cleanse the palate with a smidgen of Cockroach Poker (Kakerlaken Poker) to have a well rounded gaming experience that your cats will approve of.

Cockroach Infestations? Yes, please.

I bought 3 copies to gift to friends. I'll say no more.

~from the Enabler~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Summoner Wars: Master Set, Tournay and Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game for my birthday two weeks ago. Tournay seems promising, I really liked Blood Bowl and Summoner Wars was also really a great surprise.

Yesterday we played Dungeon Petz for the third time and I really love that game.

I'm looking forward to getting more games in of all of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandy, that's one of my daughter's favourite fillers - she takes it to her high school game club nearly every week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jood wrote:
just ordered thanks to mandy rattus and both expansions..ill have to wait as its for my march birthday..ordered octopus too

The Black Plague during the Dark ages, witches, all out mayhem, and plays well with 2! ...just downloaded the .pdf rules for a look-see. Thanks ladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Hansen
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I was the turkey all along!
mbmbmbmbmb
sandysidamo wrote:
- Drum Roll a much anticipated Essen release that I managed to pickup in an auction

I am really interested in Drum Roll. So jealous. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [522] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.