Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my fourth game of WotR. The first two were played with only a cursory reading of the rules, so I really only count the last two as being honest games of WotR. Today’s game came about as close as a game can come to going either way.

I played the Free Peoples, and decided that today I was going to try to run the ring as my primary focus. I didn’t split the Fellowship except to send Strider to Minis Tirith, and that was only after the Fellowship was most of the way to Minas Morgul. I was forced to reveal on my second move of the ring, and agonized whether I should go along the Old Forest Road or gamble and take the shorter Moria route. I’m not really a gambler, but I chose the go through Moria none-the-less. I wasn’t revealed again until I declared in Minas Morgul, and the damage caused by the Balrog was slight, so that seems to have been a good call.

Gandalf died fairly early (successful hunt but not revealed - pulled the 3 corruption tile) but he deflected those 3 corruption so he definitely fulfilled his purpose. Unfortunately, I couldn’t roll a Will of the West to save his (second) life. FINALLY I rolled a WotW and one character die, and thought hard whether I should move the ring or bring in Gandalf. I chose poorly. I moved the ring as my first action die, and then Cody played "A Day Without Dawn" and removed my one long-anticipated WotW. (From now on I’ll remember to play my WotWs immediately.) Strider also had to sit in Minis Tirith, under siege, until the next-to-last turn of the game when I finally rolled another WotW and was able to bring him in. But I only got to roll six dice once, and then the game was wrapped up.

The elves put a long defense at Lorien, and for a while I thought I was going to have a cake walk, but as we were nearing the last stages of the game Shadow armies put Rivendell, Woodland Realm and Minis Tirith under siege. Pelargir and Dale both fell, then Rivendell, then Woodland Realm, so in short order the Shadow had eight VPs. The Fellowship was in Mordor with Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Meri and Pippin, so I had a lot of protection. Next-to-the-last turn there were four dice in the Hunt Pool, so if I had an eye pulled from the cup I was going to get hurt. I moved and an eye was indeed pulled. Boromir took the blow. I had a WotW and thought about moving one more, since I was so close, but decided to wait one more turn to see if the Hunt Pool would be safer. This was not a good call, since it came down to one dice roll away from losing the game.

The last turn I rolled three character dice and a WotW. Again there were four dice in the Hunt Pool. I moved the ring and pulled the -2 tile; too good to be true. Then the Sauron army attacked the dwarves in Erebor. Cody knew time was short so he pulled out all the stops. He’d attack, then reduce a hill troll and attack again. My dwarves were putting up a tough fight, but losing too quickly. Finally, the last attack, Cody rolled three dice (I had one elite dwarf in Erebor) and rolled (to the best of my memory) twos and threes. My turn. I moved the ring onto Mount Doom and dunked the ring.

In retrospect I should have pushed the ring the turn before, but I was too confident the dwarves could hold out. They ALMOST lost and I would have lost the game by a thread. As it was, it was a near-run thing. Basically, I won because Cody wasn’t stopping the ring with successful hunts. I never stopped to heal, mostly because I had the cards to heal as I went.

As an aside, Cody had "Palantir of Orthanc" out for most of the game, and although I know it did cause some trouble, he was having to discard a lot of cards to keep his hand-limit. I just focused on moving the ring and let the war take care of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
One small thing you might have overlooked:

A Military Victory (Shadow or FP) doesn't occur until the end of the turn, so if the Fellowship manages to destroy the Ring before the end pf the turn it doesn't matter if the Shadow has reached 10 VPs.

The same is true for a Shadow Corruption win:
If Corruption reaches 12 it doesn't matter if the FP have accumulated four VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
L4D2 wrote:
(From now on I’ll remember to play my WotWs immediately.)
Yes we all have to learn that one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Veldrin, for the clarification. I was playing as though it was a "Sudden Death" victory condition, as in many wargames. You give me a sense of peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Laux
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Filthy Hobbitses.

Thumb up