Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another session tonight, but 6 strong. In my last session post I promised to write up the next one, "to try post the battering we'll get, when we move up the difficulty"...

Well...

Turns out I didn't need to up the difficulty, to get royally screwed! laugh

So we started off with the B side of the board, and with the "red 4" line corridor pretty well burning to bits. Not a lot of overlap on our initial explosions, so a good proportion of the place was on fire early on.

I was going to move up to Veteran, but in the event our burning building dissuaded me - also, with one new player, we wanted to have a chance to win, and our last experience told us we would do that easily enough, on recruit.

We figured that Veteran with 6 players would mean starting with +3 +3 = 6 starting hotspots - so we stuck with recruit for just 3 (were we right about the 6?)

Early on we rolled lots of bad dice. The corridor on Red4 was soon ablaze along almost its whole length - and since it gives access from the top of the board to so many areas, until you knock holes elsewhere, this was a real issue.

Seems the 4-1/4-5/4-4 squares were magnetically attractive for multiple explosive fun.

We had some good work from our D/O, spraying water all over to douse some good 3/4/5 space fires. But now we know you can't use the ability if the affected quadrant has a FF in it, the utility of the skill is limited. Use it once or twice, then move on.

Likewise the hazmat guy - so effective in my hands last game - was denied any use when the 2nd and 3rd explosions took out these (hazmat) squares without further ado.

We managed 4 rescuees, with only 1 dead, by the time the building collapsed to splatter the rest of us. We knew we'd lost by then, and interestingly noone ran away: we discussed whether to head for exits when implosion was imminent, but the view was, save as much as we can.

Great session again; we had our asses kicked, and that was a Good Thing, we had some of our tactics working well, but the game still conspired to give us a kicking.

No complaints: last week we thought Recruit was too easy; tonight we'd say it was too hard. So the move up to Veteran will be a challenge. More than 1 person said, let's try to use better tactics next time - I am sure we can do that, and improve our position.

Still like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maƫl Brustlein
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it me or is building collapse the main reason for losing a game of Flash Point? Not that there's anything wrong with this though. Maybe it's because of the way my friends and I prioritize things during a game (I played it with roughly 15 different people so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it me or is building collapse the main reason for losing a game of Flash Point?

Nah, that's normal. Originally there were 30 damage markers and the game would end if you lost 3 victims. The threshold for damage was lowered as the one for fatalities was raised. The rationale was that firefighters shouldn't get so discouraged by early setbacks that they "give up" in the middle of a rescue. Now , if they stick around too long trying to save "one more victim" and the roof falls in on their heads, that is a tragic mistake - but also very heroic.

I imagine it would be very easy to structure this game around a campaign, with scoring for victims rescued and penalties for fatalities - some of whom might be your own firefighters. Some games would become exercises in "push-your-luck" gaming. Can we save that last victim? Is it worth risking multiple lives to save only one?

Just recently I have seen one game end early on account of four victims dying. I think there was less than 12 damage to the walls. So it does happen, but it is the exception to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls