Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my second game with the advanced rules, and the first one getting them RIGHT. Folks, be sure to check the book for the details of the special roles because the cards do *NOT* have the full rules on them.

I played most of the game with the Fire Chief/Generalist but I started with a Driver briefly to douse some of the initial flames. The truck turned out to be useful once later in the game as well when one of the bedrooms got a bit out of control.

Anyway, things are mostly going alright. We've got six victims rescued, and the Chief just rode the ambulance to a couple spaces away from (hopefully) the final POI we need to win the game located in the NE bedroom. Suddenly an explosion rocks the adjoining bathroom and pressure waves kill not only that POI but another one on the *other* side of the bathroom as well. Two victims in one blast and we're at 3 casualties now and sweating.

The final POI's appear in the southern part of the house, far away from the Fire Chief so he radios in for the Generalist to head their way and rides the ambulance BACK around the building where he just came from.

I want to get them both out, so the Generalist goes for the deeper POI which turns out to be real, the closer one is a false alarm. We're dragging him to the door, figuring we got this, but the structural damage is piling up and we need to get a move on.

I'm a little concerned though because there's a big fire raging in the SW corner of the house right by the exit door with the ambulance waiting outside. So, I decide to play it safe. Instead of dragging the victim adjacent to the door where an explosion could take us out, I stop short and save my AP for next turn. The Chief assists, moving over and dousing the flames the best he can to clear our way and make sure there's no way this victim will be caught in an explosion.

Well, they say slow and steady wins the race, and today they were right. The Generalist gets the victim outside to the waiting ambulance and even has a spare AP left over which he uses for an extra extinguish action on his way out. Seven victims, we did it!

Now, by the letter of the rules, that's an instant victory condition - game over. But it didn't seem right to call it a day with a man still in the house. You've gotta play it out until EVERYONE is safe and that includes our heroic fire fighters too.

So, we make the fire roll and it hits the SW part of the house which is still raging pretty badly. We've been careful so the resulting explosion doesn't hit the Chief - he's standing clear of the flames and only two spaces away from the doorway. But, in addition to spreading the fire the explosion also rocks the walls of the house causing an additional three points of structural damage to the N/S/W walls of the room... and there are only two cubes left in the supply.

Just as our hero cleared the doorway with the rescued victim in his arms, the house collapsed behind him - crushing the Fire Chief under a mass of burning timber. He gave his life to make sure the last victim made it out.

So let's drink one last toast to the Chief! A damn fine firefighter and a hero to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Love those nail-biting endings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report David ! I really liked the style.

Hail to the Chief !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. These sessions always feel so real. I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how much drama you can feel due to the immediacy of the theme. When the building collapsed on him just 2 spaces from the door I just had this blank look of disbelief. I really doubt I'd feel as personally affected in something like Pandemic (which admittedly I have not played) just because it's zoomed out so far that I don't think you have nearly as much personal connection with the results.

Planning another game over lunch today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls