Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend any game stores in Portland, OR other than Bridgetown Hobby (which is a great store, but happens not to have the game I'm looking for)? We're visiting friends in Portland for a few days, and I was hoping to pick up a copy of Bohnanza and/or Through the Desert for them while we're here, but Bridgetown is out of both games, and I won't be here long enough for them to order a copy (which they were nice enough to offer).

There must be at least one other decent game store in the city -- anyone have any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.rainy-day-games.com/
Rainy Day Games on TV highway in Aloha, is a well, run well stocked games stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Everton
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest rainy-day, too. I'm in Hillsboro, so it's about the only FLGS I'm willing to drive to around here. Their prices are often $5-10 over what you might get mail order (don't know how they compare to other FLGS's). I did snag Goa there when it was out of print almost everywhere. (They didn't have it last I checked, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainy Day is impressive - they even have a board gaming night! wish i lived closer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainy Day definitely has the largest selection of Euros in the area. In the OPPOSITE direction is Z-Games in Vancouver, WA. There's also a tiny little store tucked away near me in the Hillsdale area, can't remember its name, but it's just around the corner from the Post Office there. But Rainy Day is the one most LIKELY to have the games you're after; I've bought a bunch of games there, but you WILL pay full MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainy Day Games keeps its inventory on it's website and it's kept up to date daily so you can make sure the game is there and in stock when you go there.

There's a new game store in the Lloyd Center Mall. I forget the name but I was in there about a month ago and they have a pretty good selection of party games and card games and even has lots of Rio Grande Games.

Finnegan's Toy Store in downtown has a huge selection of Ravensburger games and has started carrying other Euros like Ticket to Ride (when they can keep it in stock!) Blokus, and Settlers in addition to lots of party games. I haven't seen Bohnanza or any other Rio Grande titles but I think it's only a matter of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Rainy Day is probably the best alternative to Bridgetown if you want meatier games. Just be prepared to fend off the overly-helpful car-salesman-like employees. (I'm sure they're required to be that... attentive is a nice way of puttin it.)

For more party-style or lower meat games I've been impressed by the selection at the Barnes & NOble in Lloyd Center more than once. Here, also, you are unlikely to get any bargain's, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
Rainy Day Games keeps its inventory on it's website and it's kept up to date daily so you can make sure the game is there and in stock when you go there.

Unfortunately, they stopped tracking/reporting quantity for their board games. soblue

http://www.rainy-day-games.com/qs/Board_Games.html

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all for all the recommendations. I ended up going to Rainy Day Games, which had an extremely impressive selection, and was able to pick up Bohnanza (and Alhambra, on a whim). Very solid store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam McCanna
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new p-town store just opened up called Guardian Games that's great.

not the largest selection of boardgames in portland by any means, but it's a great store...very laid-back, unlike Rainy Day, and they also buy-sell-trade, which is pretty cool.

i just started running some games there a couple sundays a month also, so come on down.

315 se 3rd, portland, or

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls