Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Anderson
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my second game of War of the Ring, and my friend Ben's first game. I played the Shadow forces and he played the Free People.

In the first couple turns, I woke up Saruman and started to attack Rohan. I figured the horse lords had it coming. He concentrated on moving the Fellowship as quickly as possible. After the first three turns, I had driven all of Rohan into Helm's deep. The siege lasted a couple of turns, but Rohan did fall. I sent the servants of the White Hand after the true prize: the white city of Minas Tirith.

Seeing this strategy, Ben broke Aragorn and Boromir off of the Fellowship and ran them down to Gondor. He quickly crowned Strider and made him into Aragorn. The battle for Gondor became a stalemate. I started to concentrate building up my forces in the South to attack Gondor from the seas. I was able to successfully pick up a couple cards that raised the Fellowship's corruption level.

Continuing to speed the Fellowship to Mordor, Ben tried to recruit to stop my attack on the south of Gondor, but to no avail. I took the southern ports of Gondor. I began to build up forces in Dun Guldur to attack the Dwarves and the Elves in the north. I also began building up troops in Moria to go after the Shire and Brie. I quickly took Dale, Brie, and the Shire.

To counter this, he built up forces in the Woodland realm and drove me from Dale. He also built up forces in Lorian and began to work his way around the Misty Mountains to attack Isenguard, which was mostly abandoned in my reckless assault upon Gondor. It was about this time that Gandalf was sacrificed and brought back as Gandalf the White, and all non-Hobbit members of the Fellowship were broken off to help defend the realms of Man and Elf. Frodo and Sam reached Mordor with an unfortunate 9 corruption, so Ben mostly abandoned the plan to drop the ring into the Cracks of Doom.

Seeing an opportunity, Ben send Aragorn and the forces of Minas Tirith off toward Umber, to attempt a military victory. After a short siege, Umber was taken. This gave Ben the prerequisite 4 victory points needed to score a military victory. In desperation, I sent a force from Moria after Lorien and a force from Minas Morgul after Minas Tirith. I was able to take them easily, giving myself the 10 victory points I needed to win.

Therefore, at the end of this turn, we both had met the requirements for a military victory. According to the manual, this means that I, the Shadow player, won a victory.

It was a funny endgame, with the Free Peoples controlling Isenguard and Umber, and the Shadow controlling The Shire, Brie, all of Rohan, Lorien and Minas Tirith. Those poor Hobbits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It was a funny endgame, with the Free Peoples controlling Isenguard and Umber, and the Shadow controlling The Shire, Brie, all of Rohan, Lorien and Minas Tirith. Those poor Hobbits.

The Cities (Shire, Dale, Edoras, Pelargir etc.) give the Shadiow 1 VP.

The Strongholds (Minas Tirith, Edoras, Lorien etc.) give the Shadow 2 VPs.

The Towns (Bree, Carrock, Westement etc.) do not give the Shadow any VPs.

If I understood your report correctly you got VPs from Bree, which is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay P

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
markjanderson86 wrote:

Kristofer already noted the values, so here's the specific breakout:

Shire: 1
All Rohan: 3
Lorien: 2
MT: 2
Total: 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was only remarking that I thought it was funny that I controlled Brie. I controlled Dol Amroth and Pelargir as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls