BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Best stores in San Francisco/LA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Romero Araujo Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everybody. I'm from Brazil, and I'm going to San Francisco and LA within a month (mar. 22-mar.30), and want to know about the best board games stores there. Also, distance/transportation is a major problem for me, it would be nice if there's any public transport service close to these stores.

I've read about a good store in San Francisco, I think it was gamescape, or gamezone, or something like that, but also seen lots of complaining about their prices... Anyone can confirm me it?

Thanks for all replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Redwood Shores
California
msg tools
I have been to Gamescape, they have a decent selection of
new titles. The prices are mostly full retail.

I would recommend Games of Berkeley, since they
have really good bargains on their bargain bin
www.gamesofberkeley.com, and the store is right next to
the BART station, from SF to Berkeley it will be like
~$3 each way.

Gator games also carries a large selection, and like
Games of Berkeley, has a descent bargain bin section
www.gatorgames.com/ and the store is within walking
distance to the Caltrain station. Train ticket will be
around ~$4 each way.

A little bit further is Endgames in Oakland.

There is a toy store in SF GO! Toys Games & Puzzles,
but it carries a limited selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar E
United States
santa rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The store you are talking about in SF is Gamescape. I visit them almost every time I am in SF. I usually expect "brick and mortar" places to be more expensive, paying a few more dollars to have the game NOW and supporting a local store is worth the small extra cost. They do also have a discount section (I got a travel version of Paradice last time for a dollar i think). They have a really good selection of games and puzzles. They are moderately knowledgeable too, although I seem to always stump them with my crazy questions about availability of upcoming games. Overall a good game store w/good selection(i think they have a customer loyalty program, after $100 you get 10% off but dont quote me on that I cant remember accurately). Oh and there is a coffee shop on the corner that is gamer friendly. hope that helps!

Address
333 Divisadero Street San Francisco, CA 94117-2208
(415) 621-4263
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endgame in Oakland and Games of Berkeley are both good recommendations for the East Bay. They are both very close to BART stations and in cool neighborhoods where you can spend some time walking around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Public transportation in Los Angeles is abysmal.

Depending on what area you'll be staying in there are some good stores.

Santa Monica - Aero Hobbies & Games (www.aerohobbiesgames.com)

Pasadena - Game Empire (www.gameempirepasadena.com)

North Hollywood - Emerald Knights (www.ekcomicsandgames.com)

In my opinion the best of these is Game Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romero Araujo Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Well, thank you everybody for the quick reply! I'll look for these shops, and will post the games I buy there afterwards

If there's any other stores you guys want to add, don't be shy

Thunbs up for everybody =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
marstiller wrote:

Santa Monica - Aero Hobbies & Games (www.aerohobbiesgames.com)

Public transportation is definitely awful in the area - I would strongly recommend renting a car, if possible.

I wanted to second Aero. I haven't been to the others, but I love Aero. The owner is a really nice guy, so you feel good throwing business his way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
marstiller wrote:
Public transportation in Los Angeles is abysmal.

Pasadena - Game Empire (www.gameempirepasadena.com)

Also just wanted to mention that if you're close to any of the rail lines in L.A., Game Empire is an easy 3 or 4 block walk from the Allen station of the Gold Line train, so it would be easy to get to from downtown, Hollywood, etc. Just get off at the Allen station of the Gold Line, head south (that's away from the mountains) on Allen. When you reach Colorado, you're there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
And Knight Ware in Universal City is a short walk from the Universal stop on the Red Line of the subway.

If you get off at Universal, then walk to the intersection of Lankershim and Ventura/Cahuenga(Cahuenga turns into Ventura there)--to find this intersection, just walk under the freeway overpass and there you are--then turn left on Cahuenga. At the next light cross the street and there you are.

It's a great mom-and-pop FLGS, and there's open board gaming/RPGing every saturday, all day. They also have nights for HeroClix and Dragon Dice plus regular Magic tourneys if any of those interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the relative merits of the stores since I've only been to Game Empire (which is great), but I would say that if you want to walk around after or hang out in the area, Santa Monica is really nice. The pier is touristy but fun; the little park North of the pier up on the sea-cliff is beautiful, a great place to sit down with a sandwich and a new rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls