Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, after many weeks of tests and prep work I’m finally ready to offer sets of my stronghold models for sale.

A set consists of 17 models : All 16 strongholds on the board are there along with a ‘bonus’ model of ‘The Shire’ (as a little bit of fun – and because I really wanted to make one!).

The set can be ordered painted or unpainted:

Unpainted - £90
Hand Painted - £200
(payment via paypal)

Postage and packing:

UK - £6 1st class recorded or £11 Special delivery next day (fully insured)
Europe - £9.00 *
USA - £12 * * International signed for is available - £8 extra (fully insured)

Anyone wishing to order a set should geekmail me (anyone who has already done so and received a number does not have to ‘re-order’). As the sets near completion (I’m working on batches of 10 for easiness at the minute) I will contact the appropriate ‘number’ holders to confirm/cancel their order and whether they require a painted or unpainted set. Once they’re ready to ship I’ll geekmail again to arrange payment and as soon as that’s done they’ll be out the door and on the next boat, plane or whatever!

Also, as this is very much a ‘one-man show’ and a bit of a labour of love, folk will have to be somewhat patient regarding the timescale of orders (anyone who has been following the thread in the gallery section will know that I have 3 month and 20 month old daughters… and the constraints they are currently placing on my free time!). It will probably take several months to clear all the orders – but I am committed to doing so!!

NB: The unpainted set will come with a short guide to washing, preparing, priming and painting – as casting resin can be tricky unless you know exactly which steps and materials to use.

NB: (again) Coming later this year (once the lion’s share of stronghold orders are done) – ‘The Mountains of Mordor’ (and elsewhere..) , probably more miniatures (definitely a ‘Dale’) and possibly a Mount Doom in the same style as the strongholds.

NEWS...........................

Hi all. Well... I'm getting very near to the end of the initial 200 orders. I always planned to stop there but I've now decided to merely take a little break before starting up again. There is now a second waiting list and I hope to give out numbers for this list round about Xmas time or when I hit 200 - whichever comes first.

I'd also like to thank everyone for all the support for this project so far. To say that I have been surprised by the response would be a slight understatement. Thanks again.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few closer shots of the miniatures:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now let me guess what these might represent?

Starting at the back

Orthanc, Barad Dur

Almost at the back (mostly made from grey/white stone)

Morannon (The Black Gate) Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul and The Grey Havens

Second Row

The Shire, Dol Amroth, Moria, Umbar, Woodland Realm and Lothlorien

Front Row

Rivendell, Helms Deep, Dol Goldur, Erebor(The lonely mountain) and Mount Gundabad

Did I get close?

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra - Live at the Village Vanguard
badge
Giraffes on Horseback Salad - Josh Frank, Tim Heidecer / Illustrated by Manuela Pertega
mbmbmbmbmb
Will these go through BGG marketplace so that the website gets its 3%?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Siegmund
Netherlands
Heemskerk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see the new thread, these strongholds are truly amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can we see on board pics. Are these only CE version sized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Will these go through BGG marketplace so that the website gets its 3%?

Hi Sphere, the actual sales won't be going through the marketplace feature, but I had several useful conversations with 'Octavian' at BGG before I started this thread and we've worked out a method to ensure the website gets the 3% it's due. Thanks for pointing it out - I should have made it clear in my opening speil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aammondd wrote:
Can we see on board pics. Are these only CE version sized?

I was in the middle of posting some 'on board' pics - then my wife shouted up that The Walking Dead was starting!! Will attend to it now (will post better ones when I deliver the first set to my friend and his CE board next week!).

They were designed with the CE in mind, but they do fit on a normal board (bit of a squeeze for a 10 unit army alongside though). The base of every model is 40mm round (half dollar or old english penny size roughly) if that helps you to visualise it?

Here's the link to a gallery thread full of photos of 'work in progress' sculpts, paint tests and more 'on board' shots:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1160234/war-of-the-ring-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look amazing. What are they made of? Can you tell me what the average weight of one is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're cast out of 'fast cast' polyurethane resin. Most of them weigh in at about 20g with Minas Tirith taking the prize at 31g.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These should fit in well with the new "You have been assessed for street repairs" event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick glimpse at what 340 strongholds (20 sets) look like....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mora
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupsauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Hernandez
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sickdave wrote:

my number still not up

on a side note, is that a checklist that I spot in the back? QA process I see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
Mage Knight est excellentissime !! > Mage Knight is a blast !!
badge
Mon rêve ?...Pouvoir enfin jouer à WotR > My dream?... for heaven's sake, play WotR
mbmbmbmbmb
sickdave wrote:

You already have 20 sets ? Do you think you'll contact us soon for painted/unpainted sets ?
I'm going crazy waiting for my set !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During a very long day yesterday I managed to paint 10 Erebors and 10 Shires... Still a fair way to go though before the first orders go out. I don't want't to raise anyone's hopes prematurely though and therefore I'll err on the side of caution and say it'll probably still be a few weeks before I start shipping orders.. The whole project will indeed take many months to complete.. and I'll understand completely if anyone wants to change their mind due to the extended waiting times - I probably should have made this clearer in my opening to this thread (hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess!).

I'll shortly post some new pics of a 'game in progress' and hopefully that'll prevent you from going crazy Thierry! (or maybe it'll make it worse!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
Mage Knight est excellentissime !! > Mage Knight is a blast !!
badge
Mon rêve ?...Pouvoir enfin jouer à WotR > My dream?... for heaven's sake, play WotR
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup
I was kidding of course,
paint them the best you can !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pics of the minis on the board - during a game against my mate (which I won as The Dark Lord incidentally... Mwaahaaahaa)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look really great. Two questions:

1. Can you post a couple of pics of them on a 2nd Edition board for size?

2. How fragile is the resin? What I'm getting at is, what sort of precautions or storage should we be looking at to transport these around when we're taking the game to the game store? Does the set come in a box made to be reused for this purpose perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya, I only have a 'mud brown' 1st edition board I'm afraid - but I'll post some pics of it as it's the same scale as the 2nd ed. if not the same colour!

The resin seems fairly resistant and and was advertised as 'non brittle' (I've also dropped quite a few Grey Havens recently and so far no damage!). Once painted I then spray them with a tough polyurethane coating followed by a matte cote finish. However, there are a fair few delicate spires on the models (although I'm probably going to replace the thinnest ones with piano wire or something suitable to prevent snappage!) and of course once painted you wouldn't really want them clacking around in a box together.

The box I'm using for packing will house all the models lying down, so the best bet is probably to buy a piece of soft, upholstery foam that fits the box's dimensions and cut out individual spaces for the models.

For my own set I'm toying with the idea of something a bit grander.. I'll pop a photo of the work in progress on soon - it might give folk some inspiration to do something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the figs on my 1st ed. board for scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mora
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sickdave wrote:
During a very long day yesterday I managed to paint 10 Erebors and 10 Shires... Still a fair way to go though before the first orders go out. I don't want't to raise anyone's hopes prematurely though and therefore I'll err on the side of caution and say it'll probably still be a few weeks before I start shipping orders.

Any possibility to ship unpainted sets before that, so we could start painting too? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sickdave wrote:
Some pics of the minis on the board - during a game against my mate (which I won as The Dark Lord incidentally... Mwaahaaahaa)

Dave managed to beat me for the first time really. I played really badly - not passing when I should etc - I was genuinely too distracted by the look of the game! wow Honestly, seeing these in real life is eye popping.

I am sure it was deliberate, distract me by creating a 3D Middle Earth, and it worked.

It still came down to some lucky dice rolling at the end though yuk Eh Dave?

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Fredlund
Sweden
Veberöd
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit hesitant if I should get those Strongholds or not, but seeing them in play... OH MY GOD!!! surprise

Shut up and take my money…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [35] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.