Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi peeps.

Formula De can tend to play a bit slowly. This is a shame both because it doesn't have the depth to warrant long play, but also because a Formula 1 Racing game ought to be fast paced. All this is just my opinion though, so feel free to disagree! Yet if you do agree then I have a suggestion for you

When your turn starts, then you proceed in the gear you are in. No changing it! But you can change it during the other players turns, up until the very second it becomes your turn.

The effect of this change is that the game moves much faster, and you have something to look out for in your opponents turns.

Let me know if you like it! (or hage it...)

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is not a bad suggestion, being a variant of "prepare for your turn while the others take theirs"

In my experience the larest slowdown is when players have already rolled their dice and are trying to figure out where to place their car, that sometimes can take too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I play is that you can count out where you might want to go once, and then you must move you piece immediately afterward (you don't have to follow your first path) with no takebacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I just require people to pick a gear, roll the die, and start moving with no delays or takebacks. You should be figuring out possible moves during other people's turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game die for me, when we were 6-10 players.
People were all over the board counting their next move even though it was not their turn. Even think someone cheated when everybody else was trying to count their next move and nobody looked after the guy who had his turn.
Been there, done that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do wish it played faster as would be appropriate to the sport, in friendly games I've found you just can't rush people through their turns without killing a significant part of their enjoyment.

I love playing with lots of racers like at tournament events at PREZCON because there are lots of racers. And, yes, it does take a long time to play but I haven't really found it a problem. Even in tournament play everyone helps each other with the counting to a reasonable degree to help speed up the game.

Your suggestion is certainly a good option and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if the folks I was playing with agreed.

BTW, I've tried repeatedly with games like these to introduce a game clock, like chess, to keep people moving but have found that a certain percentage of folks (more than 50%?) just don't find the added pressure enjoyable. I, personally, like being pressed for time and having to make fast decisions regardless (or maybe because) of the fact my decision won't be perfectly calculated. That's life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read about players who divided the gameplay into two sets.
So the first 4-5 players move their cars together while the rest of the players move their cars together.
Don't know how it works when #6 overtakes #5!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RicharDISNEY
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The way I play is that you can count out where you might want to go
My Club does not allow pre-counts. Plain and simple.
Tough, but makes the game a lot more fun.
In Our Opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader2981 wrote:
Quote:
The way I play is that you can count out where you might want to go
My Club does not allow pre-counts. Plain and simple.
Tough, but makes the game a lot more fun.
In Our Opinion.

And that's how I wanted to play this game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ralph
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Asger: My league does not allow gear changes before your turn, because it confuses the engine check rules. However, plotting your move within a die range is encouraged. When players are dawdling, I act as track steward and will move the car to within one or two spaces of the end of their roll (on straightaways) so they only have to choose a lane change. This speeds things up enough that some delay can be allowed when they are picking their path through a corner, or around obstacles. I hope this helps. mebegamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls