Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I've only just begun to make a habit of regular thrift store spelunking in Seattle. No great finds so far (unless CribbGolf and Boggle Bowl count ).

So I'm wondering if y'all have any tales of scoring something great at a Seattle area thrift store. What was the game and which thrift store did you find it in (if you can remember)?

And any general suggestions about good thrift stores for boardgame hunting would be appreciated. I haven't been going long enough yet to figure out which stores are useless and which ones are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are ALL useless. So stay the Hell out of them!angry

Seriously, I've already got enough competition, and since I live next to one, and am moving just down the street from another, what are the chances I'll leave anything for you...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Windopaene wrote:
They are ALL useless. So stay the Hell out of them!angry

Seriously, I've already got enough competition, and since I live next to one, and am moving just down the street from another, what are the chances I'll leave anything for you...?
Thanks!!! kiss

[edit]
So the blood feud continues devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Keith
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never managed to find anything in Seattle...I find stuff in Olympia, occasionally...I found the old Avalon Hill Baseball and Football games last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
uhhhh, for one thing I don't get up to Seattle as often as I'd like, while I also agree that I've found some GREAT 'bargains' in the 'Oly' area, such as this:
It was in a very tiny '2nd Hand' store downtown, while being unpunched, unplayed and a STEAL at $10, while they even had some old & worn looking 'A-H' games and those were 'twice' as much! w00t for me! I had already 'gotten' another copy of this same exact game for $15 from another place, while it was 'played' & 'punched', so I 'allowed' a friend of mine to purchase that one from me for what I bought it as. There's even a 'Bookstore' in which I found some decent games at vastly reduced pricing, sometimes even LESS than their 'listed' prices.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A couple years back I ran across Civilization and Dune (at the same time) at the Value Village in Lake City. But since then there hasn’t been anything to speak of. Maybe someone at the game store across the street wised up and makes periodic trips to see what’s available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back I found a HUGE selection of Simulations Canada games in a Value Village in Marysville- all unpunched and in great shape. Still my single best thrift store game find ever.
MY problem is, I have competition from a Mr Andrew Petty, who beat me to an unplayed copy of Titan by a couple of hours. He regularly finds the killer stuff. To be fair, he busts his ass, and works at home, so he has a bit of an edge on me. Good thing he's a friend... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Monroe
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly in the South end stores - Auburn, Kent, Maple Valley, Renton, Federal Way and Puyallup if I feel like it. Every once in a while I'll venture down toward Bellevue and as far out as Redmond. I hit the local stores at least once a week and out farther maybe once a month. South end stores suck though.

I have yet to find "THAT AWESOME GAME," but I do it mostly to make a few extra spending dollars by putting up my finds on Ebay. Hey, it pays for the games I do want.

And the sad thing is, I keep wondering, "What am I missing by not going into that store today?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah Jennifer, that is my obsession. Imagine if there were three thrift stores withing a mile or two of you. Every day, they are calling out to you...

"Today I have Hannibal....."

You just never can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, I am discovering the addictive quality of the hunt. It's a surprise every time. Like a lotto scratch ticket just waiting to be scratched. What did I win today?! shake

[Hey! I just noticed an American flag by my avatar. Nifty! Now I can ignore those foreigners! ninja ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I found early on is once you find a good source you should keep it a secret. Then go often and clean it out so others never discover it. Then you'll get even more good stuff! But as soon as you tell the magic disappears.

I've done some thrifting up in Seattle and Everett and scored Time's Up and Buffy up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
EvilTimmy wrote:
I've only just begun to make a habit of regular thrift store spelunking in Seattle. No great finds so far (unless CribbGolf and Boggle Bowl count ).

So I'm wondering if y'all have any tales of scoring something great at a Seattle area thrift store. What was the game and which thrift store did you find it in (if you can remember)?

Ah, so YOU'RE the reason that CribbGolf game finally disappeared... how 'bout taking away all those UpWords, Ungame, and Michiganopoly sets? ;-)
There's plenty to share. Really.

I did find an empty Space Hulk expansion box once.. Oh yeah, and a copy of Wadjet
The Mrs has found some good deals on shoes at the Lake City Value Village, FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
One thing I found early on is once you find a good source you should keep it a secret. Then go often and clean it out so others never discover it. Then you'll get even more good stuff! But as soon as you tell the magic disappears
I wasn't looking to necessarily kill any golden geese ninja. It seems that good finds are so random that it doesn't really matter if you "tell". One store could be a turkey one month and great the next, and vice versa. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sjoholm
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, please move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Edmonds stores covered. Don't touch 'em!

My best finds (stuff I've resold for >$50):
Pursue the Pennant
Clue Master Detective
Strat-O-Matic Baseball 1965 season
After the Holocaust
Civilization + Advanced Civilization
Dark Tower

And I'm on my eighth copy of Can't Stop and fourth Loopin' Louie. Not that I'm bragging or anything... :-)

-- Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Chris Sjoholm wrote:
I've got the Edmonds stores covered. Don't touch 'em!

You needn't worry. I usually don't know what's rare or valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls