Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

I'm lucky enough to be getting sent over to the US for some training and work in April for nearly 2 weeks.
The current plan is to be staying in Weston for a week and then Fort Lauderdale. I am likely to be free a lot of evenings so it would be great to meet up with some people for some gaming or to come and crash a gaming club night.
I'm also after information on FLGSs in the area. I know CoolStuff is around there, but I've heard it isn't necessarily worth the trip and I'd be better ordering games for free delivery to my hotel.
I'm potentially looking to go diving at the weekend I'm there too, so if anyone can recommend dive locations (maybe in the Keys?) and/or dive shops (I won't have any kit with me) then that would be great too.

Cheers
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Visiting Florida (Weston/Fort Lauderdale) for work - looking for gaming opportunities and FLGSs
Hi Tony,

There is a good strategy gaming meetup group in the area ("BIG" -- Broward Intellectual Gamers), as well as a couple others that tend more towards lighter fare. There are also at least one or two regular groups in Miami, which would be a 30-60 minute drive south. All of those groups can be found on meetup.com. Feel free to send me geekmail if you have trouble finding what you need on meetup. I think there are some non-meetup groups, which are harder to find and often more informal. Just through meetup, you should be able to get 1-2 gaming opportunities per week.

If you're going to order $100+ of games, then delivery probably makes sense, although I suspect you'll still have to pay the state sales tax. You can also order from CSI online and pickup at the Davie location, which is great to avoid shipping charges on smaller orders. That CSI location probably stocks 100-150 titles, along with a so-so demo case of about 25. So I would agree that it's not a mecca that you must visit in person.

There are several other LGS in the area, including:
- Past, Present, Future Comics (formerly Florida Supercomics) almost next door to CSI
- Another store on Stirling in Davie whose name I forget
- Tate's Gaming Satellite (a bit north)
- GXE Gaming (30 minutes north)
- Docking Bay 94 (30-45 minutes north)
...and some in Miami but I don't get down that way so someone else will have to fill in those details.

Most of those have open boardgaming days/evenings, but if you just show up randomly you're unlikely to encounter many (any?) other gamers.

If you head to Miami, you might get to game with the famous (infamous?) Tom Vasel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin.
I've been playing around on meetup, a website I haven't used before.
I see quite a few gaming groups, but not many meeting while I'm there.

In fact the only one I see is Xtreme Gaming on Tues 17 April, which will be my last night in Florida, so I'll only be able to attend if I don't get forced to go out with work people....

Quite possibly I'm missing some groups or events. Or maybe they just haven't been set up yet. I'll keep an eye on meetup and on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. It does look a bit bleak right now between the CSI meetup on April 4th and the GXE meetup on the 17th. I suspect the BIG "2nd Tuesday of each month" meeting got unscheduled because the location recently changed owners and hours. I think they are looking for a new place to meet.

I'll geekmail you with some other ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for following the thread. Yes, I was hoping that BIG meeting would be on and get added later, from reading about that meeting it sounds very dependent on the owner of the shop's goodwill.
I did like the sound of that 20% discount too....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
I did like the sound of that 20% discount too....
Honestly, it usually didn't bring the prices down to Cool Stuff's everyday prices. I did buy something from them once, to help support them and because I wanted it *now*.

Side tip: You can order games through CSI's web site, and for shipping choose to have them delivered for free to the South Florida store in Davie. Then you can pick them up in a couple days, having paid mail-order prices (plus ~8% Florida sales tax). It's pretty sweet, and I'll do it when I'm not trying to support my FLGS (GXE).

As I mentioned in geekmail, I hope to schedule a couple weekend daytime gaming events at GXE in that time frame. If that happens, they will show up in the BIG meetup calendar.

EDIT: I see I repeated myself about the CSI option. Seems like I should re-read the thread before replying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony,

I am about 50 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale in Tequesta. We play every other Friday as well as 1 or 2 nights during the week. There are also some very nice diving sites in the Jupiter/Tequesta area. Would love to have you crash our gaming night! Drop me a Geekmail if you are interested.

Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a meetup in Boynton Beach about 30-40 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale a couple of Thursdays a month. In the morning when I'm more awake I'll post the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking on Meetup the closest gaming meetups to me are all going to be 30+ mins drive.
I'm going to try to make it to the Thurs 12 April game night in Coconut Creek or maybe the Gametime session the same night.
Depending on jetlag I might try for the Kendell session on Tues 10 April.

None of these are ideal though. Not sure how comfortable I'm going to be driving around with jetlag in a new city on the wrong side of the road!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls