Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire
badge
Crafty Shaman Impersonator
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever played Hex on a ConHex board? It made an interesting game. A path along the edges is shorter than one through the center, the center cell only connects to four other cells, and all corner cells connect to three others, making a center opening move not as strong (I still think there is an advantage to playing the center first over other moves, just not as much as in Hex). I made an "8x8" board (there are actually 113 cells) if anyone wants to give it a try:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the pie rule, the question becomes, is there any initial move which the opponent should not swap? There are certainly lots of initial moves the opponent should swap. If an initial move in a corner should be swapped, then that probably would mean all initial moves should be swapped, and the pie rule by itself would not be sufficient to balance the game well. One might have to adopt a more complicated protocol, such as three move equalization. One player places two black stones and one white stone on the board, producing a position with white to move. The other player then decides which side to play.

IMO the same problem exists on an "official" Kadon Y board. When all the corners have 3 neighbors, it seems likely that any initial move would be winning and should be swapped. But I haven't played Hex on this board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this interesting:

Shibumi and ConHex

And Sponnect is actually Hex in a (smaller) ConHex board.

I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reymann
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire
badge
Crafty Shaman Impersonator
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
With the pie rule, the question becomes, is there any initial move which the opponent should not swap? There are certainly lots of initial moves the opponent should swap. If an initial move in a corner should be swapped, then that probably would mean all initial moves should be swapped, and the pie rule by itself would not be sufficient to balance the game well. One might have to adopt a more complicated protocol, such as three move equalization. One player places two black stones and one white stone on the board, producing a position with white to move. The other player then decides which side to play.

IMO the same problem exists on an "official" Kadon Y board. When all the corners have 3 neighbors, it seems likely that any initial move would be winning and should be swapped. But I haven't played Hex on this board.

I'm not sure if that applies to this board. A corner is a first-player winning move on the 1x1 and 2x2 sizes, but it is a losing move on as small as the 3x3 "ConHex" board, which makes me think there are some very "even" first moves available on larger boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls