Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Florida for a couple of days and was just wondering if their were any good game stores around Port St Lucie (where we are staying)? Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
quick check of

Friendly Local Game Stores (FLGS) of the USA

and sadly don't see any. if you are willing to drive though coolstuff is over here about a 2 hour 17 minute drive from there

edit: another place maybe to ask is in the USA/Southeast forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
Fun or Bust!
badge
Owns one of the good FLGSs :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Depends on your definition of nice
We're (Get Your Fun On) is about an hour north of you straight up I95.
Clean, well lit, family friendly. hundreds of board game titles. NOT normally dominated by Magic the Gathering. I always make sure there are tables open for board games. over 800 games in our demo library. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are our busiest days. Sadly, Wednesday was our "board game night" so you just missed that. You can check out our store at www.getyourfunon.com.

Enjoy your visit!
Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd almost ask what part of PSL you may be staying in.

Depending on what you're really looking for, I'll say...not really. If you're looking for Magic: The Gathering there are several shops (like Fusion Gaming on PSL BLVD). If however you're looking for anything like Agricola, Dominion, Last Night on Earth or the like...I'm gonna say you're out of luck. You can try Big Dog Comics/Thunderdome Gaming in Fort Pierce (it's the town north of PSL) however most of his selection tends to be Games Workshop Products, Magic, Munchkin or something of the sort. It's a rare find if you do find something.

Worse case is going to Barnes and Nobles in Jensen Beach, but chances are you'll be paying full retail.

I hate admiting it but, most of my gaming needs are done either by Thoughthammer or CoolStuffInc or another online retailer. If you're traveling by Orlando (Hour and half to two hours north of PSL) than I really suggest you hit up Coolstuffinc's Orlando store. I travel there every now and than and sometimes they have items on sale in their public area of the store that isn't exactly on the webpage anymore (not always - but I lucked out and scored StarCraft when it was pretty much sold out everywhere) The nice thing is, if it's on sale on their website and it's not available inside, they can easily just go into their warehouse and get it.

Taking it a step further, yes its possible to also place and order and have them ship it from inside the store...I did that because I was traveling around Florida and was afraid of plastic game parts sitting in the car and melting!

I've been told that CoolStuff also has Wednesday night gaming until midnight...I've yet to attend, but I do see several copies of games open and readily available everytime I visit, so I don't want to believe they ONLY play card games there.

Surprised when anyone comes down this way to PSL unless they are here to see Family or the New York Mets for Spring Training.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
I hate admiting it but, most of my gaming needs are done either by Thoughthammer or CoolStuffInc or another online retailer. If you're traveling by Orlando (Hour and half to two hours north of PSL) than I really suggest you hit up Coolstuffinc's Orlando store. I travel there every now and than and sometimes they have items on sale in their public area of the store that isn't exactly on the webpage anymore (not always - but I lucked out and scored StarCraft when it was pretty much sold out everywhere) The nice thing is, if it's on sale on their website and it's not available inside, they can easily just go into their warehouse and get it.

Taking it a step further, yes its possible to also place and order and have them ship it from inside the store...I did that because I was traveling around Florida and was afraid of plastic game parts sitting in the car and melting!

I've been told that CoolStuff also has Wednesday night gaming until midnight...I've yet to attend, but I do see several copies of games open and readily available everytime I visit, so I don't want to believe they ONLY play card games there.

fwiw i've never seen anything in store at coolstuff that was on sale... also fwiw the way you buy games from coolstuff in store (which is actually in winter park, not orlando proper) is they have computers setup on the counter for you to order through their website and they go out the door and pick the games from their warehouse which is also in the same strip mall.

as for their wednesday "board game night"... many other posts on this but I gave up... board game night is still over run by magic the gathering players... if you are ok with lots of background noise by them kudos to you but I have trouble hearing myself... in addition the board gamers who do show up are very clickish and for me this is the biggest problem... and I'm relatively assertive... not the board gamers fault, just no leadership (i used to run a gaming group that met in a public place) to help make sure to mix things up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
quick check of

Friendly Local Game Stores (FLGS) of the USA

and sadly don't see any. if you are willing to drive though coolstuff is over here about a 2 hour 17 minute drive from there

edit: another place maybe to ask is in the USA/Southeast forum

Thanks Jeff. I couldn't find that page for some reason. After posting, I found the SE forum and thought about moving my post, but I guess I got lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
Hi,
Depends on your definition of nice
We're (Get Your Fun On) is about an hour north of you straight up I95.
Clean, well lit, family friendly. hundreds of board game titles. NOT normally dominated by Magic the Gathering. I always make sure there are tables open for board games. over 800 games in our demo library. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are our busiest days. Sadly, Wednesday was our "board game night" so you just missed that. You can check out our store at www.getyourfunon.com.

Enjoy your visit!
Marc

Hi Marc. Thanks for replying. If we get some spare time, maybe we'll come visit the store, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
I'd almost ask what part of PSL you may be staying in.

Depending on what you're really looking for, I'll say...not really. If you're looking for Magic: The Gathering there are several shops (like Fusion Gaming on PSL BLVD). If however you're looking for anything like Agricola, Dominion, Last Night on Earth or the like...I'm gonna say you're out of luck. You can try Big Dog Comics/Thunderdome Gaming in Fort Pierce (it's the town north of PSL) however most of his selection tends to be Games Workshop Products, Magic, Munchkin or something of the sort. It's a rare find if you do find something.

Worse case is going to Barnes and Nobles in Jensen Beach, but chances are you'll be paying full retail.

Surprised when anyone comes down this way to PSL unless they are here to see Family or the New York Mets for Spring Training.

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply.

My wife surprised me with a trip to PSL to see some Spring Training with my Mets, so good call. I've actually been to CoolstuffInc a couple of times in past years (my mom lives in Leesburg and we visit every year). I think they have changed their storefront a little since last I was there.

We stumbled upon Fusion Gaming yesterday (I think it was on PSL Blvd), but it appeared to be out of business.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Tegre wrote:

fwiw i've never seen anything in store at coolstuff that was on sale... also fwiw the way you buy games from coolstuff in store (which is actually in winter park, not orlando proper) is they have computers setup on the counter for you to order through their website and they go out the door and pick the games from their warehouse which is also in the same strip mall.

as for their wednesday "board game night"... many other posts on this but I gave up... board game night is still over run by magic the gathering players... if you are ok with lots of background noise by them kudos to you but I have trouble hearing myself... in addition the board gamers who do show up are very clickish and for me this is the biggest problem... and I'm relatively assertive... not the board gamers fault, just no leadership (i used to run a gaming group that met in a public place) to help make sure to mix things up

Thanks for all the help Jeff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolstuff has another storefront near Ft. Lauderdale that might be a little closer, but it's still probably too much of a schlep if you're only in town for a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Someone else plays board games in PSL?

Sorry, though, my experience is the same. No stores here. I order on line. I'm always wishing Palm Bay was a bit closer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
abellana Filou
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

The only board game shop in the area is at west palm beach, it is called "Past, present and future" (http://www.ppfcomics.com/)
There is a selection of 50 games, However they are overpriced.
Actually if you are interested, I am near west palm beach and I can sell or trade (depending on your interest) some of my games.
You can contact me by private message if you are interested and I will provide you a list.
Best,

Abellana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna address a few things since I got sucked into Mass Effect 3 - and I feel like Matt may have already finished his trip - and this is now a thread about P.S.L. in the FLGS list.

JeffyJeff wrote:
Tegre wrote:

Personally, I've known several people to live in Winterpark. They all consider it "Orlando." I've asked why and even they agree, it's hard to tell where Orlando starts and ends with it's surrounding towns. Even CoolStuffInc considers their Winterpark store "Orlando" (you can check their webpage.) However...this is just...I think Semantics. It's all relatively close enough. Also as far as their store front...maybe I was just lucky, but I found an out of print copy of StarCraft by Fantasy flight for their discounted retail price. What worked in that situation was, I tried looking it up on the computers you mentioned and it wasn't listed for sale. The girl at the counter was able to find a price. On a different visit I got a copy of Dixit 3 with the Promo taped to the front of it. Something I probably would not have gotten by ordering online. Maybe It was a lucky find, but so far my visits to the "storefront" side of things have been nothing but positive.

DJ Kuul A wrote:
Coolstuff has another storefront near Ft. Lauderdale that might be a little closer, but it's still probably too much of a schlep if you're only in town for a few days.
Ft. Lauderdale is about an Hour and Half South of Port St. Lucie.
abellana wrote:
Hello,

The only board game shop in the area is at west palm beach, it is called "Past, present and future" (http://www.ppfcomics.com/)
There is a selection of 50 games, However they are overpriced.
Actually if you are interested, I am near west palm beach and I can sell or trade (depending on your interest) some of my games.
You can contact me by private message if you are interested and I will provide you a list.
Best,

Abellana
West Palm is about a 40-50 minute drive South of PSL.

mbuckingham wrote:

My wife surprised me with a trip to PSL to see some Spring Training with my Mets, so good call. I've actually been to CoolstuffInc a couple of times in past years (my mom lives in Leesburg and we visit every year). I think they have changed their storefront a little since last I was there.

We stumbled upon Fusion Gaming yesterday (I think it was on PSL Blvd), but it appeared to be out of business.

Thanks again!
I'm almost curious if you stumbled upon them in the Morningside Plaza (there was a Petstore (maybe Petsmart?), a Chinese Restaurant, I think a Computer repair place, and a Pizza Shop in the Plaza. - If so, than I wish they had put up a sign telling you to head West a few miles. They moved to a new location. I don't remember the name of the Plaza, I just know they've now moved within a Plaza by a McDonalds (and a Bridal Shop.) If you're talking about the second location...that's not a good sign...it's the second time I've known of a shop in that location to open up...and go under.

Mamadallama wrote:
Wow! Someone else plays board games in PSL?

Sorry, though, my experience is the same. No stores here. I order on line. I'm always wishing Palm Bay was a bit closer...
Yeah...That reaction sums up exactly how I feel. Katy...maybe we need to get a meetup group started. I know of a place in Jensen Beach called "House of Brews" and it might actually make a decent location for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at your collection (which is 3x mine!) and I don't see a lot of crossover there. We lean towards light-medium weight strategy/family games. Right now I only game with my husband and son (he's 26)and I might get them to come along. At least once!

If you decide to get adventurous, let me know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
mbuckingham wrote:

Thanks again!
I'm almost curious if you stumbled upon them in the Morningside Plaza (there was a Petstore (maybe Petsmart?), a Chinese Restaurant, I think a Computer repair place, and a Pizza Shop in the Plaza. - If so, than I wish they had put up a sign telling you to head West a few miles. They moved to a new location. I don't remember the name of the Plaza, I just know they've now moved within a Plaza by a McDonalds (and a Bridal Shop.) If you're talking about the second location...that's not a good sign...it's the second time I've known of a shop in that location to open up...and go under.

The more I think about it, it was probably not where I thought it was. We were driving all around on Thursday and we got turned around more than once, so I think the Fusion I saw was actually east of Highway 1 (so it is probably the older location).

Thanks again for all the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Personally, I've known several people to live in Winterpark. They all consider it "Orlando." I've asked why and even they agree, it's hard to tell where Orlando starts and ends with it's surrounding towns. Even CoolStuffInc considers their Winterpark store "Orlando" (you can check their webpage.) However...this is just...I think Semantics. It's all relatively close enough.

lol, you do realize my girlfriend and I also currently live in Winter Park, though I do realize we don't know each other personally I can assure you that Winter Park is not within the city limits (which is what I meant by "proper") of Orlando. In fact some parts, including the part we currently live in, are not even in the same county as Orlando (which is in Orange County). Winter Park is though technically part of the "Greater Orlando Metro Area", aka a suburb of Orlando. I'm sure CSI, like Disney World (it's in Lake Buena Vista) both say they are "in" Orlando for the same reason we tell folks we are from "Boston" even though we are not even from Massachusetts (but from New Hampshire), never mind Boston... it's the closest metro area. But I think we both agree it's all close enough for Government work

Quote:
Also as far as their store front...maybe I was just lucky, but I found an out of print copy of StarCraft by Fantasy flight for their discounted retail price. What worked in that situation was, I tried looking it up on the computers you mentioned and it wasn't listed for sale. The girl at the counter was able to find a price. On a different visit I got a copy of Dixit 3 with the Promo taped to the front of it. Something I probably would not have gotten by ordering online. Maybe It was a lucky find, but so far my visits to the "storefront" side of things have been nothing but positive.

Definitely sounds like ymmv then... I just can't recommend one going out of their way hoping to find a hot deal not on their web site I can however recommend their I believe annual (though I'm hoping for a Spring one as well) side walk sale which is in December, I picked up several good deals, see

CoolStuffInc's Sidewalk (parking lot) sale -- Winter Park (Orlando) FL -- Fri/Sat December 16/17 2011

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
I looked at your collection (which is 3x mine!) and I don't see a lot of crossover there. We lean towards light-medium weight strategy/family games. Right now I only game with my husband and son (he's 26)and I might get them to come along. At least once!

I'm quoting Kathy's message because it seems relevant to what I'm doing.

Since this is now the current (and only) FLGS link for Port Saint Lucie...I felt it couldn't hurt if I mentioned the Stuart Game and Activity group that meets up at The House of Brews in Jensen Beach.

(yes if you read through the thread again...you'll see I mentioned just this very thing...however I DID NOT start the group...although I wish I could take some credit for it.)

What I will take credit for is that I do bring some of my games down and while I don't mind what I bring...I wouldn't mind any other PSL gamers to do the same.

They also don't always game...as Grace - the group organizer also likes to try other events as well.

Sorry for the thread necro...like I said...I felt it almost relevant.

http://www.meetup.com/Stuart-Game-and-Activity-Group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:

I'm quoting Kathy's message because it seems relevant to what I'm doing.

Since this is now the current (and only) FLGS link for Port Saint Lucie...I felt it couldn't hurt if I mentioned the Stuart Game and Activity group that meets up at The House of Brews in Jensen Beach.

(yes if you read through the thread again...you'll see I mentioned just this very thing...however I DID NOT start the group...although I wish I could take some credit for it.)

What I will take credit for is that I do bring some of my games down and while I don't mind what I bring...I wouldn't mind any other PSL gamers to do the same.

They also don't always game...as Grace - the group organizer also likes to try other events as well.

Sorry for the thread necro...like I said...I felt it almost relevant.

http://www.meetup.com/Stuart-Game-and-Activity-Group

Lovely to hear! I'm going to join the group but I would imagine I would keep my involvement mostly to gaming activities mostly due to time limitations. I'll bring along games...if you have any suggestions or requests, Tegre, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls