United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: GeekGold for Katrina Relief
I also gave at the Redcross and gave here as well.

It's going to be great watching the tally increase throughout the day! Any guesses when we break $10,000?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sound petty or anything but do we get a receipt for the donation? You know... for tax purposes. I've already donated elsewhere and want to help justify donating again here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice way for me to (a) give money to the cause, and (b) get an Avatar!

Thx for the offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw on Boing Boing that Paypal will waive fees if donations are made through this link:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/Pay...

Should we be directing people here instead?

Thanks for the tally, Aldie. I hope it wasn't already there when I made the request!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic idea. It's really cool to be a part of this community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Not to sound petty or anything but do we get a receipt for the donation? You know... for tax purposes. I've already donated elsewhere and want to help justify donating again here.
Hi Marshall, we're selling GeekGold and donating all the proceeds. Unless I'm mistaken it's not tax deductible on your end.

If someone wants to make a sizable donation and wants to deduct it from their taxes, you should donate directly to a charity. Send me a copy of the receipt and I'll gift you the

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanMicrobadge: Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanMicrobadge: "I hate it when Aztecs force themselves into your hotel room and make you try on belts."Microbadge: "Oh, yeah, feel real good about kicking a fish's butt. That's real nice."Microbadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."
Thanks for the great idea, Aldie and Derk! Maybe in a few months, when the most urgent needs have been met and transportation resources can be diverted to less crucial things, we can hold a little game donation drive to help people replace destroyed games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note - I just opened a new forum post notifying everyone in BGG that I plan to have an auction of games I was roiginally planning ot sell with proceeds going to the Red Cross or the Navy Relief Society...

Paul

PS - Aldie, if you don't mind pinning it to the front, it would be appreicated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
GOOD! maybe now I can 'get some', since "approvals" of Games Submissions doesn't 'seem' to be 'working'!
angry

P.S.-is there a valid email address that WE could 'contribute' this at? the insipid "PayPal"(what an 'oxymoron') don't want to 'work' as well, are THEY 'approving' Games Submissions for you folks, on the side?
Are you really this bitter, Grog, or are you just keeping with your online persona?
Sorry for going off-topic, but I have no intention of letting this "question" go unchallenged...

Grognads is so kind and helpful to so many of us here, especially those who are fortunate enough to have met him in chat. His genuine kindness and great generosity have so positively affected a great many people here. You are wrong to begrudge him the right to complain about a couple of things he has had trouble with. We all have that right. But Grognads is no constant complainer, he is a very kind, genuine and helpful person -- and a wonderful host who is constantly missed on BGG chat when he is not there. That is how he is, and that is his "online persona".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me what email address we send the paypal payment to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
To give by Paypal, you should click the "Geekgold for Katrina Fundraiser" link at the top of the front page, then the paypal link on that page. That will get you where you need to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give to a good cause and finally earn enough for a geekbadge?

Heck yeah.

B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Then there are those 'drolls' who just seem to NOT have anything better to 'do' but be a "negative ninny"~yeah YOU "elmonty", so they tend to get my 'dander UP'! So what'd you expect?
I'm a negative ninny? Gee, okay, let's go with your idea. Let's turn on the TV or the radio and listen to people dying everywhere; people have no homes and no possessions; corpses are piling up in the streets and in hospital stairwells; rescue teams and innocents are getting shot at; announcements are made that looters are subject to "shoot to kill"; people are lost and stranded for days; people are dying of starvation, exposure, and lack of medical care; the corpses are rotting and maggot-filled and causing disease; thousands are dead and more are dying by the minute; the mayor is swearing at the federal government on national radio.

And oh yeah, somebody's game collection got wet, let's spend our time and money to care of him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! $9,000 raised in less than 24 hours! That is awesome!

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that gets me into Paypal, but where do I go once I get there? I don't know what address to send the money too.

Maybe I am missing something really obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your efforts. I appreciate the new geek badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping a graph of the amount of $$$ donated through BGG, updated every 30 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to post it since it is not at a URL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Bookman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Aldie - the fund raiser is a great idea. I now feel slightly less helpless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Closing in on 10K.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, this is a great idea, thanks for helping out. New Orleans will need much help in the coming months, years?
Having grown up in New Orleans and still have family living in the city, it has been heart-wrenching to see it devastated.

My family is fine, they evacuated on Saturday. Right now I have my mother, my sister, brother-in-law and his aunt staying with me. Their homes are on the West Bank which did not flood, but we don't know how much damage was done. We hope to get back toward the end of next week to see what can be salvaged. It has been very hard to tell an 86 year old woman she may not see her home again for a long time.

Another thing to remember is much of the business in New Orleans was in the flooded area, so even if my sister's home is intact her job is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we're over $10,000!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's make it to $20,000!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kalish
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow.. I must admit, I am seriously impressed that the BGG community could break $10k that fast. I was thinking about donating anyway, but the GeekGold incentive just pushed me over the top (plus I get an avatar this way!). Thanks Aldie and Dirk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Man I am really floored. This is awesome!

Last night during dinner, Michelle and I were having a really good time talking about her job hunt, then the topic turned to the turmoil in New Orleans and we got all depressed for the drive home.

I had an overwhelming feeling that BGG just had to do something, and this idea came to me after listening to Jack FM annoucning that you can request a song today if you donate $50 to the Red Cross.

I'm glad we can come together as a community and really support the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |