Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: GeekGold for Katrina Relief
Proving once again that gamers are the best people in the world!!!

I donated directly to Red Cross because my employer matches - I would rather have the extra dollars going to help than getting geek gold.

Thank you Derk and Aldie for bringing us together and extending our community to those who now need our help the most.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
800 dollars in the last half hour, GO GEEKS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The graph I'm keeping shows the rate at which geeks are donating is actually increasing!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to contribute, but no one can tell me what email address to send the Paypal payment to!!!

With all of these other people easily figuring this out, what the heck am I missing?????

Please help!!!

Edit....

Nevermind, I finally figured it out. It was my damn browser (I use Netscape). It was dumping me to the main Paypal page instead of taking me to the payment page like it was supposed to. I should have known that was the problem.

Anyways, I donated $20 - let's keep this thing rolling!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I noticed that if you click on "Recent Claims" under the Geek Gold menu, you can see what people donated. I'm not sure that's really cool.

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Evans
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow....
I haven't read many of the replies.
I'd just like to add one more thumbsup.
We'll be giving soon.
thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Removed the geekgold spy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that while the world in general really haven't responded to the disaster as I had hoped, I think the international geeks need a thumbs up for contributing to the disaster! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was just going to give money directly to the Red Cross, but I think it makes more of an impact when you see that BGG-ers are giving $20k (which may very well happen by the end of the day) rather than just some guy donating $50.

Go 'Geeks!

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just an idea...maybe it would be a good idea to have a little badge beneath your avatar/username for all those that have donated saying "Katrina Relief" or something like that...similar to the BGG supporter badge. We all like badges and avatars and this may be a little extra incentive for geeks to donate to the cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Added a graph to show the buildup. Check to the right of the running total or just click here:

www.boardgamegeek.com/katrinagraph.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
I like that idea. Perhaps simply another small square marker new to the 04 and 05 markers showing what year you contributed to BGG. In this case the block could be a simple gold with the black letter NO to show support for the city of New Orleans. Either that or a simple gold heart.

My wife says at her work people were standing in line to donate money when the e-mail went out telling folks where to go in the complex to donate. Truth is I am not surprised. I remember very well the support that was shown on 9/11 and had no doubts it would surface once again with this.

nexttothemoon wrote:
Just an idea...maybe it would be a good idea to have a little badge beneath your avatar/username for all those that have donated saying "Katrina Relief" or something like that...similar to the BGG supporter badge. We all like badges and avatars and this may be a little extra incentive for geeks to donate to the cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Crosses added to the profile for participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That graph is a beautiful thing because

A) I like graphs.

and

B) It shows all of us standing together to help our fellow Americans (or our neighbors across the sea, to the South, North, etc..) people who need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Added a graph to show the buildup. Check to the right of the running total or just click here:

www.boardgamegeek.com/katrinagraph.php
Up and to the right! That's what we like to see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
elmonty wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
Then there are those 'drolls' who just seem to NOT have anything better to 'do' but be a "negative ninny"~yeah YOU "elmonty", so they tend to get my 'dander UP'! So what'd you expect?
I'm a negative ninny? Gee, okay, let's go with your idea. Let's turn on the TV or the radio and listen to people dying everywhere; people have no homes and no possessions; corpses are piling up in the streets and in hospital stairwells; rescue teams and innocents are getting shot at; announcements are made that looters are subject to "shoot to kill"; people are lost and stranded for days; people are dying of starvation, exposure, and lack of medical care; the corpses are rotting and maggot-filled and causing disease; thousands are dead and more are dying by the minute; the mayor is swearing at the federal government on national radio.

And oh yeah, somebody's game collection got wet, let's spend our time and money to care of him.
Well, maybe if you would READ and mentally 'digest' something beyond your 'droll-sight', then YOU would have 'seen' where HE had made mention about his ENTIRE 'collection' being destroyed, of which deeply saddened him. Yeah, the basic necessities are of MOST concern for those affected by this, while our collective gesture towards HIM alone, is to give him further HOPE for his situation. I suppose that I couldn't expect YOU to comprehend this, so keep your 'droll-troll' remarks to a minimum, if you can at least do that. Can't you have a more 'positive' attitude? Seek help on that then.
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nice idea. Hopefully we'll see 50k before it's all said and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction, when I heard about what had happened, was the exact opposite to my reaction when I heard about the Tsunami - I went "this is the most powerful nation in the world; why would they need my help?"
And then I just felt like slapping myself. What the hell does it matter where someone lives in circumstances like this? So I was glad to find a good place to direct a donation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

Well, maybe if you would READ and mentally 'digest' something beyond your 'droll-sight', then YOU would have 'seen' where HE had made mention about his ENTIRE 'collection' being destroyed, of which deeply saddened him. Yeah, the basic necessities are of MOST concern for those affected by this, while our collective gesture towards HIM alone, is to give him further HOPE for his situation. I suppose that I couldn't expect YOU to comprehend this, so keep your 'droll-troll' remarks to a minimum, if you can at least do that. Can't you have a more 'positive' attitude? Seek help on that then.
surprise
Yes, your comments have been extremely positive. Oops, except for all the personal insults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
STILL 'not gettin it' eh? oh well, maybe someday you will, we can only hope! laugh

P.S.-don't go away angry, you know the rest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
By the way, I just saw that someone appears to have donated $1000 through BGG!

While I appreciate the red cross recognition icon for my meager contribution, I would think that a special donation icon would be in order for users who are donating up in the three or four figure ballpark! Way to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Crosses added to the profile for participants.
'Course, there are those of us who'll have to wait for snail-mail.

Very impressive effort so far! Any chance we can get to six figures?! Let's go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As Aldie indicated in a posting...as of August there were 67037 Total Registered Users on BGG.

It would be an admirable goal for all of us to shoot for $1 for every user ever registered on BGG. I think that's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reese
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup