Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: GeekGold for Katrina Relief
I am not sure if it would help, but what I did was open an extra account at my bank from free checking. I only put less than $100 in it and use it to move money back and forth. It is a hassle, but I would never give paypal my main bank accound number. Or perhaps I am being naive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Yes, THEY 'insist' that I HAVE to 'link' a ''Bank Account'' to them before I can 'do' anything! And I'm never going to, while I have some 'funds' in an ''account'' already for which I've been trying to have that 'donated', with NOTHING but their usual line of B.S. for that! As that last 'note' in the previous 'Post' of mine shows, I'm not the only 'one' affected by their asinine 'approaches'!
surprise
Ok, then use a credit card or bank card. If you're not willing to do this either, then paypal is not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
LOL. Sorry it took me 3 reads to figure out that you had funds in the account already. Not sure why they require a bank account to xfer your money as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Aldie said we could just donate to the red cross and send him a receipt.... That's what I did. Why not just do that....

Aldie, you got my receipt, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sent my reciept!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
Hmm, I'm not sure I like the idea of the Red Cross above my avatar. I didn't donate for self-recognition. I donated becuse I wanted to help out the hurricane victims along with fellow BGGers.

I dunno, just seems kind of odd to get recognition for something I should be doing anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eugene meidinger
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, chad, following that logic you shouldn't be rewarded with geekgold for something you should be doing anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a great idea!!! Kudos to BGG and all the generous donors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to my Red Cross icon? Had it for a day. Now its gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think the red cross should be removed. Thanks Aldie. I think it is the right thing to do. Annonymous donations are the best types of donations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something Awful had a relief fund via PayPal as well, but PayPal froze it. You might want to read about it here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25915 angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I received lots of issues about the red cross Katrina supporter badge. I'll get something else going tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In any case, I see we broke $25k!! Woohoo!

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is looking to compare charities:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
or for good local charities
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.cat&sti...
and then to find differnt ways to give them funds
http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal%5Fenviron/hurric...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toucana wrote:
I agree. I think the red cross should be removed. Thanks Aldie. I think it is the right thing to do. Annonymous donations are the best types of donations!

At first I felt the same way. But to be honest it was the little red crosses that kept popping up while browsing the geek that kept reminding me to follow through and donate sooner than later. Now they no longer taunt me...

Maybe instead have a donate badge advert that can be enabled/disable as people choose? That way I can set my badge to click-through to the donate page. That would be neat.

Take care,

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote to keep the red cross. Hope my vote counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I also didn't see a problem with the Red Crosses...but in every democracy there will be dissenting and opposing views and I know it's impossible to keep everyone happy all the time...Aldie and Derk and the rest of the mods have a big job here. In the end I'm just happy we've all done so well in supporting this cause.

Still on the topic somewhat but on a different tangent...I saw on CNN how there are now thousands...hundreds of thousands in Stadiums and shelters. They will likely be there for weeks to come...if not months. They showed some pictures of all the displaced people sitting around adjusting to their temporary new homes and I can imagine they will get pretty stir crazy and bored sitting around doing nothing but contemplating all they have lost and how many have nothing to even go home to anymore. They showed a few trying to use up some time playing Chess...Go Fish etc.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to actually get a drive together to possibly donate some games...unwanted, overplayed or maybe some older titles you never play anymore etc.

For example someone in Houston could organize to have a central location where games could be collected and then all the games could be delivered to the Astrodome so the people there may have something other than their losses to reflect on all day long.

It's even possible some of the gaming companies might be able to get involved...say Days of Wonder, Mayfair and Rio Grande etc donate some games towards this situation.

I just thought it would be a good way to help people while actually even promoting the boardgaming hobby. You basically have a captive audience of several hundred thousand people with a lot of spare time on their hands and this seems like a decent way to try and fill some of it with something other than misery.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea or is it not appropriate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
there are now thousands...hundreds of thousands in Stadiums and shelters. They will likely be there for weeks to come...if not months. ... I can imagine they will get pretty stir crazy and bored sitting around doing nothing but contemplating all they have lost and how many have nothing to even go home to anymore. They showed a few trying to use up some time playing Chess...Go Fish etc.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to actually get a drive together to possibly donate some games...unwanted, overplayed or maybe some older titles you never play anymore etc.
I had a similar idea last night, and don't think it's inappropriate at all. Especially lighter games - I'm not sure that World in Flames or War in Europe would be an appropriate choice, but I could see Scattergories or Carcassonne going down a treat.

Even just a box of packs of playing cards would probably help beat off some of the boredom and misery.

I'd say that kids' games would probably be a priority, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,

Please let us know when you make the donation. Also, I'd like to see a copy of the acknowledgement from the Red Cross that the gift was recieved.
This is NOT that I don't trust you, it's for my taxes.

You mentioned earlier that because we get Geek Gold in exchange, it may not be tax deductible. As GG is not a tangible item or service, I think it may still be deductible. I'm not a tax lawyer, but I am in the non-profit world. The best thing to do would be to provide documentation and let the donors deal with their taxes.

I didn't look too closely, but will Paypal waive their usual fees if you prove you're donating to disaster relief? My tax accountant would need an accounting of the fees.

Thanks again for doing this. I'm still amazed at the amount my fellow BGGers have ponied up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I received lots of issues about the red cross Katrina supporter badge. I'll get something else going tomorrow.
I do not get it. People are facing real problems like losing everything, and here we take the luxury of discussing of what is the PERFECT way to indicate someone donated at BGG or the pros and cons of staying anonymous when donating money for something... this seems to be political correctness in extreme...

the red cross was a perfectly innocent way to get peoples attention.

for me it worked like this:

read an article in boardgamegeek

see red cross (red crosses = good eye catchers)

people wonder what it is and click on red crosses

then they get info about Katrina Relief

then they donate.

Innocent and simple.

If the "BGG supporter badges" are fine, then little red crosses shouldn't hurt anyone...

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the red cross because it was a way to show others how many of us donated. It was also another link to the donations page.

I think the Red Cross or something like it should be here.

But all others aside I love the fact that we are over 25k!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Either that or I finally got back online after bein' away for a week... Aldie has some of his best ideas while I'm "indisposed"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
melissa wrote:
I had a similar idea last night, and don't think it's inappropriate at all. Especially lighter games - I'm not sure that World in Flames or War in Europe would be an appropriate choice, but I could see Scattergories or Carcassonne going down a treat.
Actually, being trapped at the Astrodome for weeks at a time with nothing to do would be the perfect time to play World in Flames!

As for the Red Crosses, I like'em. I say keep them. I can imagine that the beef people might have with them is, "But I donated somewhere else, and now I look like a jerk!" Well, donate another $5 and it's not an issue! Plus, I promise that I don't think anyone who didn't donate is a jerk. If that helps at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] |