Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Tuttle
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I had to go directly through the Red Cross because my company is matching my donation 2 to 1. So it didn't make sense for me to go through BGG. GG is not necessary for me to donate anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raucous wrote:
I had to go directly through the Red Cross because my company is matching my donation 2 to 1. So it didn't make sense for me to go through BGG. GG is not necessary for me to donate anyway.
Yah, mine too (SCEA, matching 100%). I gave them all of my receipts; however, I had to retract my BGG receipt, because it turns out it wasn't a donation!

I still suspect that there are a LOT of "donors" (i.e. geekgold purchasers) out there who don't understand that they DID NOT make a donation, in a technical sense. It falls upon the BGG administration to make this more clear.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Due to the recent destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina, BoardGameGeek is selling GeekGold to help support the Red Cross in their efforts to provide aid and relief to the victims of the storm.

We're selling 1 GeekGold for $1.00 USD and we'll donate the proceeds to the American Red Cross Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund.

Click here for more payment details:
www.boardgamegeek.com/disasterfundraiser.php

Update:
If someone wants to make a sizable donation and wants to deduct it from their taxes, you should donate directly to a charity. Send me a copy of the receipt and I'll gift you the geekgold
Bold additions were mine

It seemed pretty clear to me what they were doing. I understand that you (and possibly others) missed this, but it seems to me that Aldie was pretty clear in the instructions.

Again, echoing what others have said, I think that everyone's donations - including yours - have been admirable. I also agree that the word "lame", in the context in which you used it, was inappropriate and hurtful. And if this debate continues much longer Aldie is going to second guess himself the next time this kind of thing comes up - and we don't want that!

For me, I say "Great Job Aldie! Great job Geeks!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the amount on the main page still going up? Is it just my imagination?

Or is Aldie just adding donations from our tax-deductable receipts that we sent him to it...????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just adding any checks that he received in the mail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janiera wrote:
Or just adding any checks that he received in the mail?
Aha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my guess, Amy. I don't expect that Aldie will add the receipts that we sent him, just the amounts that are sent to be donated in the name of the BGG. $36000 is nothing to sneeze at. I have to admit that oftentimes when I look at how consumerist the boardgaming hobby is (I am including myself in the criticism, by the way), my cynical side cannot help but question if our positive community-building (we play games together) contribution outweighs the blight of our needlessly burning so much money (especially when people post that they have copies of El Grande, Age of Steam, and Roads and Boats unplayed). But I have to say that this generous drive has made my cynical side look as stupid and bitter as it truly is. This community's generosity is a wonderful thing to witness and I want to thank all of you for that.

I want to especially thank those of you who live overseas. My first images of Katrina were from a tv in a hotel lobby in Rome and I was truly terrified at the similarity the pictures bore to the same kind of tragedy in Mozambique not so long ago. I think this was a terrible lesson in humility for all of us world citizens, but for Americans it is a rude (and necessary) awakening. We have so often been the country sending food and supplies and doctors afar. Since Katrina our friends have come to our aid. To have the favor returned means a lot and (by extension) to see our BGG friends here who live overseas helping us is special indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Duke UniversityMicrobadge: Lemur fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: Daniel Tosh fan - And for That We Thank You
Has anyone received their GG for the receipts they sent in, yet?

I had emailed mine....maybe...last Monday or Tuesday? But still had seen nothing yet....

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tuttle
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is great that so many people in this community has cut back their game buying budget to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

I had emailed mine....maybe...last Monday or Tuesday? But still had seen nothing yet....
In the same boat as you are Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pollock
United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
I haven't either. I can only assume Aldie and friends created a lot of work for themselves through the fundraising. And, I'm guessing these are lowest priority.

Another big thanks for putting this all together.

-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I've got a bunch of receipts from recent Red Cross donators. I am working on getting these done in one lump batch. Thanks for your patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, when I donated here, I knew it wasn't tax deductible, and I was one of the early donaters. I generally don't ask for receipts for donations unless I'm donating a LOT more than my standard tax deduction, as otherwise there's very little point (to asking for a receipt/deduction, that is. There's always a lot of point to donating in general).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't expecting a tax deduction or the need for a receipt but now my wife tells me that her company will match any donations that their employees make. Any chance we can get an email confirming a donation if we request it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Gialmere wrote:
I wasn't expecting a tax deduction or the need for a receipt but now my wife tells me that her company will match any donations that their employees make. Any chance we can get an email confirming a donation if we request it?
You didn;t make a donation, you bought geekgold. BGG is donating all the profits to charity (100% since geekgold costs $0.00 for them to 'make'). Therefore, BGG is the donator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh I can't wait to try explaining to my non-gamer wife the finer legal points of this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Vanderveen
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Aldie,

I sent you a check for Katrina relief before the cutoff, but I'm not sure if you would have received it in time. Just wondering how you (have|will) handle this?

Also, sent you a BGG support check in the same envelope.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  |