Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
----I don't have the official rules in Japanese. This text is based on the English rulesheet I picked up at the Japan Brainsports meeting in August, where the game's inventor, Shimpei Takahashi, taught me the game (I'd actually asked him to play Regista, but he said, 'Come and play my game.') I've also played the online version of the game, which helped clarify strategies; it's actually a deeper game than it seems at first. It was released in Japan in late July.----

The board of Simpei is on two levels - the upper level of 4X4 peaks, and the lower level of 3X3 holes. Each player has four pieces. The aim is to get exactly three of your pieces in a row (diagonally, horizontally or vertically) on one of the levels.

The starting player must place his first piece on one of the four central peaks. Subsequent placements may be anywhere. Pieces are placed head up on the peaks and head down in the holes.

When you place a piece so that an opponent’s piece (or pieces in a straight line) is sandwiched between two of yours (on the same level), you must move that opponent’s piece or pieces to any other vacant spot in either level.

Once all four of your pieces are on the board, you can only move them from one level to the other, as long as it’s to a free adjacent space on the other level. (Therefore, a piece on a corner peak can only be moved into the adjacent corner hole if it is empty.)

It’s important to remember that you don’t win if you get all four of your pieces in a row on the same level, nor if your opponent moves one of your pieces and makes a row of three.

edit: clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know when or if Bandai will export this game. When I find Shinpei's business card, I'm going to email him anyway to tell hime about this addition to BBG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
United States
Minden
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications, altough actually it was the online site which showed me how I had been playing with one wrong rule.

The tricky part is that you can displace ANY NUMBER of opponent pieces when you sandwich them, like in othello. So for example in the upper world you can sandwich a row of two opponent pieces and displace both of them.
I had been playing with displacing only one piece, and this made possible a forced win for the first player.

I played a couple of time online. I am about 60%-40% with the third opponent, haven't played the fourth yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about the Othello method. It's in the English rule sheet but it didn't click with me, and it hasn't come occured when I've played on line. I modified the above "How to Play Simpei" rules accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pugh
Japan
Unspecified
Tochigi Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraliptar wrote:
I've played the online game several times and really enjoyed it. There's a lot more to it than I originally thought.

Any idea if it will reach Europe?

I got a reply from the inventor to my email. He said they want to export it to other countries but there's no schedule to do so at present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Verti wrote:
It’s important to remember that you don’t win if you get all four of your pieces in a row on the same level, nor if your opponent moves one of your pieces and makes a row of three.

Your opponent would have to create your 4 in a row on the upper level. Then, when you move one of your end pieces, you still don't win with 3 in a row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
United States
Minden
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you have four in a row and remve one of the two extreme pieces you win. However they might be blocked, and if you remove one of the middle pieces you don't win (the line is broken).

Maurizio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyama

Massachusetts
msg tools
Some of the esoteric rules

You can bump more than one piece if it is possible. In theory you could bump all 4 opposing pieces if they were aligned properly!

In order to win, you must move a piece INTO a 3 in a row on your turn. This means:

If your opponent bumps your pieces into a 3 in a row, you don't win. And you can't just 'pass' your turn either and win.

If you form a 4 in a row, and you move a piece out to form a 3 in a row, you don't win either!

I haven't found a sure fire strategy yet tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.