Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Swain
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will be in NO next week for business I'm going to have downtime in the evenings. Are there any games stores in the area worth visiting? I will be about 10 minutes from cafe dumont(only landmark that I know and have googled). I probably will not have a rental car, so something near downtown or public transport would great.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
There's no store downtown.

In Metairie [a suburb about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown] there is the wonderful +1 Gaming where quite a lot of stuff happens [in fact, next week is their 1-year anniversary and they're going to have lots of events]. There are lots of friendly local gamers, and it's quite possible one of them would be willing to give you a ride [a lot of them live in the city]. Check out our local facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/154075267955025/

Here's your roadmap:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cafe+du+monde,+new+orleans,+to...

I'd normally offer to come pick you up and bring you to the store or to a local gameday somewhere, but my wife's expecting tomorrow.

Also, pro tip: If you're interested in the music / club / night life scene at all, the place to go is Frenchman Street, not the Quarter.

Other pro tip: There effectively is no public transport in the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cato The Elder
United States
flag msg tools
As my brother stated above, the only game stores are out in the burbs. I live downtown myself so if you want to meet somewhere for some gaming I think there are a few other gamers in the area and we could figure something out. Check out

http://www.facebook.com/groups/154075267955025/

On Facebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roppolo
United States
River Ridge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for +1 Gaming in Metairie. Thursdays & Sundays are our normal board game days there (though I've been unable to attend recently; sad face).

There were some folks who play at Cafe Envie on Decatur near Esplanade, but I'm not sure if they're still active. Plus the tables are kinda small.

I find myself downtown in the Marigny quite often, maybe we can get together with Jason (Cato) and some others for some games. The Marigny is the area just outside of the french quarter across from Esplanade. It's also the area that contains the aforementioned Frenchmen Street, and there's a ton of live music every night (Keep in mind that the musicians live off tips and percentage of the bar - there's usually no cover charge - so tip accordingly). Whereas Bourbon street is pretty much a permanent frat party, the Marigny/Bywater is where local artists & musicians tend to live, work, and play.

Another pro tip: If a stranger tempts you with a friendly wager, "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes," he is referring to the current location of your shoes, not the place of purchase. Arguing the definition of "got" will not help. Just say "on my feet" and move on.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Swain
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the offer and info guys. Not sure if I'll have enough time to get some games in, but will definitely keep it in mind. I'll see if I can find a way over to +1 gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Did you end up making it out anywhere, Raymond?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Swain
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No unfortunately not. I went down for my meeting but had a family emergency the weekend before. So I was pretty busy the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of any gaming in the downtown/gardens area of New Orleans
I'll be in the city for 2 weeks from the 16th to the 27th for work and would like to meet up with some locals if there are games going on, I'm staying in the lower garden district a few blocks riverside of the avenue pub

Also, are there any decent game stores within walking distance of there?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
zigfromsa wrote:
Anyone know of any gaming in the downtown/gardens area of New Orleans
I'll be in the city for 2 weeks from the 16th to the 27th for work and would like to meet up with some locals if there are games going on, I'm staying in the lower garden district a few blocks riverside of the avenue pub

Also, are there any decent game stores within walking distance of there?
Thanks

See above for links to finding local gamers. Some are in the Garden District.

There's no game store in the city proper; only +1 Gaming out in the 'burbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Conrad
United States
River Ridge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another gaming store in the New Orleans area in Metairie on David Drive.

http://go4gamesnola.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm staying downtown on Canal Street for a business trip. I don't have a rental car and I'm tied up during business hours, but my evenings have been free so far, spent geocaching and taking in the excellent local music. I would be up for a gaming gathering in the French Quarter area sometime.

Can anyone please explain to me all the street chess... what's up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ from Board Game Gumbo

Lafayette
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
www.boardgamegumbo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
I'm staying downtown on Canal Street for a business trip. I don't have a rental car and I'm tied up during business hours, but my evenings have been free so far, spent geocaching and taking in the excellent local music. I would be up for a gaming gathering in the French Quarter area sometime.

I won't be there till this weekend, but take a cab to Tubby&Coo'd bookstore. Should be some gamers there tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Torrens
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about Uber in New Orleans for transportation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
cerulean wrote:

GM
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools

He would know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the streetcar to Tubby & Coos, bought Easy Breezy Travel Agency on a whim, picked up some gifts for the family, got a bite to eat at the Five Guys down the street, then took the streetcar back to my hotel. All this took less than two hours.

There was a street jazz band jamming out near Bourbon Street, ten guys playing brass and percussion. While I recorded a video of it, they were interrupted by a jazz parade! I can't think of a city with better street music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ from Board Game Gumbo

Lafayette
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
www.boardgamegumbo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Were there any groups playing? I know on Sunday nights, the owner told me they got a good crowd of people playing but I am often back home then. Always wondering if it would be worth going on other nights to play a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
I took the streetcar to Tubby & Coos, bought Easy Breezy Travel Agency on a whim, picked up some gifts for the family, got a bite to eat at the Five Guys down the street, then took the streetcar back to my hotel. All this took less than two hours.

Should have hit up Juan's Flying Burrito... Or Ruby Slipper Cafe!!

Sounds like a great trip though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls