Subject: The Fall of Franco: The Spanish Option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't go into too much detail here because if you're reading this, you most likely know how A&A works and besides, it's almost 2:00 AM!

This strategy works best if Germany and Russia are knocking heads and England and the United States have the ability to build transports unmolested by U-Boats and the like.

Best case scenario:

1.) England makes an amphibious assault on Spain, paying 3 IPCs for violating neutrality. Land as many infantry as you can. England's purchases for this round are really dependent upon what the US has available to reinforce Spain. More transports to funnel English units to Spain in the next round is an option, as are fighters to reinforce Spain.

2.) The United States lands with all available units in Spain to reinforce Britain. Infantry again is preferable this first round. Of course, if you can land fighters, land them! Purchases are dependent on the situation, but more transports and infantry aren't a bad idea if the objective is to hold on to Spain.

3.) Germany might be in a heap of trouble:
a.) If the German player has been building tanks and hasn't reinforced Europe with much infantry, he's going to find himself with a horrible option. Does he turn his tanks destined for the Russian Front to deal with the new front in Spain? If he does, those tanks involved in the fight will be at least 2 turns away from getting back to the action in the East (Spain, Western Europe, Germany, Eastern Europe, Ukraine...).
b.) Does the German player throw what few infantry (probably) that he has in Western Europe to attack Spain, thereby weakening Western Europe and forcing him to redistribute troops to defend Western Europe?
c.) Does he ignore the threat for a turn, allowing the English and US to reinforce Spain even more?

In any event, the Allies capturing Spain forces the German player to defend it or defend against it. This causes Germany to become overextended in the West. It is a lot harder to defend Spain than it is Western Europe: newly purchased infantry takes 2 turns to get there. Germany having to occupy Spain makes Western Europe weaker. Suddenly instead of having to defend one territory to the West, Germany must defend two.

Of course, the US needs to be in a position to be able to commit forces to the European Theater. If Japan is giving the US trouble in the Pacific, it'll be harder for the US to commit forces.

However, one good coordinated landing at the right time can absolutely seal the game for the Allies. A combined force of 8 infantry and a fighter (4 British Infantry transported by 2 transports, 4 US Infantry transported by 2 transports, 1 US fighter) commits only modest resources and provides a pretty good defense. The German player will almost assuredly be forced to pull tanks and/or aircraft from fighting the Russians to attack Spain if he chooses to do so. This gives the Allies a chance to inflict casualties on the attacking Germans and gives the Russians a major opening in the East- either by buying them time or by making an assault into German territory a bit easier.

This option has worked so well that it probably could constitute as a "glitch" (explotation?) in the game mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
Norway
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
VERY interesting strategy. If spain is not recaptured every turn you can make an attack against WE with all units in spain AND the transports throwing in amphibious units, which should make for about 12-24 units between the brits and the yanks. From there you can again assault germany with WE troops and amphibs.

Not that the allies NEEDS a killer strategy in order to win the game, as it is a general concensus that the game is stacked for the allies. But this is an interesting little strategy I think I will try out as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Edward!

With the pressure off the Russians, it's VERY hard for the German player to do anything but defend for the rest of the game- and that's putting it nicely laugh. As much as any A&A player hates it, buying infantry and waiting for the inevitable seems to always be the result!

However, if the German player has been purchasing a good mix of infantry and other units from the beginning of the game (instead of all armor, for instance), the German player has a good chance of beating back a weak invasion or two of Spain.

One thing I may have failed to mention is that my friends and I usually play a game variant by a Mark McLaughin found in an article called "1941: Axis and Allies". It originally appeared in an old "Wargamer" magazine, but I don't know what issue. It can be found here:

http://www.wargamer.com/axisandallies/original/scenarios/his...

(...and the main site has a plethora of other variants).

It gives the Axis more than a fighting chance to win and does a great job of simulating the whooping the Allies got early in the war! In fact, the invasion of Spain was initially a desperation move that panned out really well.

By the way, in case you didn't know (which I admit I didn't until I tried to search for the article above), McLaughin is a game designer and game reviewer.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Eisenhower
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
This is a very interesting strategy. When I play as Germany however, I make it a point to take out every ship the UK has on turn 1. Even the battleship at Gibraltar, and the sub in the Suez canal. Every attempt at rebuilding a navy that the UK player makes just gets shot down by the Luftwaffe on the next turn. Any lost planes are replaced at the sacrifice of 2 tanks and 1 inf toward the advance on Moscow. As long as there are no UK boats in the water, it is extremely difficult for the US to sustain any attack on W Europe. This allows for more minimal defenses there, which frees up units toward Moscow.

Seems that this strategy is reliant upon RUSSIA staying in the game for a sustained period. I still like the idea, I just know that it would be tough to pull off wasting 8 ipc's a pop at the chance of rolling a 1 against 3s and 4s every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis W
msg tools
This is a fantastic strategy that I will use in my next game.

TO:
Dwight Eisenhower
(General_Zod)

REBEL FLEET STRATEGY (Originated by Travis W. and Mike L.)
1st Turn
Brittan purchases nothing.
Us purchases 2 transports, 1I, 1 factory. Moves troops from West to East US.

2nd Turn
Brittan purchases 1 carrier, 2 fighters, 1 transport.
US moves 3 transports full of troops to hit Finland/Norway (4I 1T). If the bomber survived counter attacking the Japanese you can have bomber support if the Germans even have anything there anymore.
Buy 1 more transport and 2 guys.

End of 2nd Turn
The Rebel Fleet has 4 transports, 2 fighters, and a carrier. This is a match for Germany's initial 5 fighters and 1 bomber and relies on NO initial Navy from Brittan.

3rd turn,
Brittan buys 2 transports and a couple of guys.
US buys 1 Battleship (of possible) or just a transport and 2 guys.

4th Turn
British move their fleet and as many infantry and 1 tank to Algeria.
US moves their fleet with troops to Algeria.

5th Turn.
Best Case: The Rebel Fleet can hit: Karelia, Eastern Europe, Germany, Western Europe, Southern Europe. Worst case the Mediterranean Battleship/Transport are in the way off Gibraltar and Southern Europe is not immediately accessible, but will be on the 6th turn.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to take Spain, to open a new front....when there is only 1 German territory worth 3+ that you move to and lay to waste. Oh and if something goes wrong, you still have a huge force that is taking Africa back for Brittan and depriving the Germans of 2 IPC's off base.
------------------------------------

Worst Case, on Germany's 3rd turn, it sends all of its air force after your fleet. You survive with a fight or carrier (at your choice) or they survive with a bomber. Either way, if Russia is doing its job with a little British air support then Germany CAN NOT replace the fighters without seriously weakening its Easter Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If allies are played correctly, they should always be in a kill Germany first, if they can take Berlin before Moscow falls, or 1 maybe 2 turns after they win. The German counter for this is hit and run, don't take and risk the tanks in defense unless you know you can hold, and never in Spain, only France. Germany can hold out long enough if they have a 1 tank for 2 inf ratio, constantly buying inf to replenish and continually hit stacks and retreat or hold and switch back and forth from France to Eastern Europe. It's a tough nut to crack with this strategy, then if you get in position to do a crippling blow to Russia and still hold Germany for 2 rounds, even with a loss of France and Italy, take it. Once Japan takes Russia, they land 5+ fighters in Berlin to re fortify and begin sending units to help, possibly buying 3 subs a turn in Karelia so sink combined UK/US fleet with there planes. Then it's game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.