Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Glen More II: Chronicles fanMicrobadge: Troyes fan
I'm loving this game, and so far I have some minor criticism only for a single rule (that's incredible, I'm soooooo critic! reviewer for NWI since maybe 2004, and on my blog too, now).

When I cross a street insurgents can cause me victims, suspects only pin. I think it's a little unrealistic, shouldn't it be the reverse?

Suspects are hidden snipers and enemies, they can fire from an hidden position and kill a good guy or two. Insurgents have been spotted: in a real situation a squad should cross the street using some covering fire against their known position, moving a sub-team on the other side and then inverting the roles. The bag guys could pin them with heavy fire, since they are not hidden they are supposed to fire with all available weapons, but KIAs should be more difficult for them than for suspects.

Another advantage of the "reversed" rule: it gives a benefit for having activated a suspect, since now crossing will cause pin and not kills. I imagine it as "suppression fire". In the current version suppression fire makes things worst, now they HURT!

What do you think about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laurent Closier
France
SAINT-BRIEUC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Here is the rationale behind this design.

As 'suspect' markers can be revealed as a dummy, I thought that they should do less casualties than real enemies (insurgents units). Imagine you cross a street section facing 2 'suspect' markers and suffer casualties, just to discover latter that those 2 'suspect' counters are just dummies... You would say "Hey, this game is crappy ! Who killed my marines ? "

Facing 'suspect' markers, USMC squads can become pin because they think there is an enemy at that window, on this roof, so they take cover in the street (behind cars, rubbles, etc.).

I hope you understand my choice now .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Glen More II: Chronicles fanMicrobadge: Troyes fan
laurent closier wrote:
Here is the rationale behind this design.

As 'suspect' markers can be revealed as a dummy, I thought that they should do less casualties than real enemies (insurgents units). Imagine you cross a street section facing 2 'suspect' markers and suffer casualties, just to discover latter that those 2 'suspect' counters are just dummies... You would say "Hey, this game is crappy ! Who killed my marines ? "

Facing 'suspect' markers, USMC squads can become pin because they think there is an enemy at that window, on this roof, so they take cover in the street (behind cars, rubbles, etc.).

I hope you understand my choice now .
Yes, now it's clear, thank you. I think to dummy suspects in your example as "they were there". Maybe I will try the other approach as an house rule, just to see the different feeling/results; but I foresee that this shouldn't change the final result so much.
Really, this game is very nice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
I'm observing another side effect of the rule: the presence of the tank grants a secure crossing without troubles IF YOU DON'T SHOT the enemy, because suspects are ignored. So, firing from a side of the street against suspects on the other side becomes a non-sense tactic (if the tank is in the zone), rather than a tactical choice.

Another reasonable workaround would be to give to both suspects and insurgents a (different) chance to kill and to pin.

Maybe: Insurgents roll minor than TOTAL CF = kill, otherwise pin
Suspects: roll minor than number of suspects = kill, otherwise pin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls