Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Poll III: MEGA POLL (i.e. what game vid would you like to see me do next?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again. I've been having fun doing video walkthrough for the last week or so. Here's my output so far:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140177/boardgame-walkt...

I've done vids now for the games most requested in my last poll (which was here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/786412/poll-2-my-4th-gam...), and so it's time for another one. But to keep from having to pester people with polls every week or so, I figured I'd do one big MEGA POLL of all the games in my colleciton, so people could indicate which ones they'd like to see most.

Up till now, I've avoided doing games that already have good vids (like Agricola or Brass, which some have asked for), but I guess there's no reason not to do vids for games with existing content, if I bring something different to the table, so this Poll has every game I own (as of April 7th, 2012), except ones I've already done vids for (7 games), but I still prefer to do ones for games that haven't gotten any love.

I'll leave this poll running indefinitely, so people can always weigh in on what they think is important. I'll list the games in alphabetical order, to not play any favourites.

Please bear in mind, this is a poll for what you REALLY want to see a vid for. Bear in mind these vids I'm doing are 30-45 minutes long, so don't request it if you're not going to watch it, naturally

For those who enjoy long polls (*snicker*), your ship has arrived!

Poll
Rate as many games as you like... have fun! :)
  Would LOVE IT! Sure, that'd be fine. Don't bother kid! No Opinion
7 Wonders (plus expansions)
Agricola (plus Farmers of the Moor)
Agricola Express
Alea Iacta Est
Alien Frontiers (plus Frontiers expansion)
Antiquity
Artus
At the Gates of Loyang
Attika
BattleLore
Biblios
Brass (with 2 player setup)
Caesar & Cleopatra
Carcassonne (with T&B plus I&C expansions)
Carson City
Castle
Caylus Magna Carta (with expansion)
Chrononauts
Citadels
Clans
Claustrophobia (with Profundis expansion)
Coney Island
Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War
Constantinopolis
Dice Town (with expansion)
Dominion
Drako
Drakon
Dungeon Petz
Dungeon Twister
Eaten By Zombies!
Endeavor
Expedition Sumatra: Dadu Dadu
Fairy Tale
Finca
Fjords
Fresco (with ALL expansions, including Glaziers)
Fury of Dracula
Galaxy Trucker
Glen More
Hamburgum
Hellas
In the Year of the Dragon
Islas Canarias
JAB: Realtime Boxing
Jaipur
K2 (with expansion)
Key Harvest
Key Market
Lancaster (with New Laws)
Last Will
Le Havre
London (with popular 2p variant)
Lost Cities
Luna
Macao
Medici vs Strozzi
Merkator
Middle-Earth Quest
Mondo
Mykerinos
Navegador
Norenberc
Notre Dame
Oceania
Olympos
Onirim
Ora et Labora
Palais Royal
Palazzo
Pandemic
Paperclip Railways
PAX
Pergamon
Puerto Rico (10th Anniversary Edition)
Ra
Railways of the World (Mexico Map)
Railways of the World (Europe Map)
Railways of the World (England & Wales Map)
Railways of the World: The Card Game
Rattus
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Runebound
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
Santa Cruz
Seeland
Shipyard
Sobek
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Star Trek: Expeditions
Stone Age
Stronghold
Taluva
The Castles of Burgundy
The Hanging Gardens
The Isle of Doctor Necreaux
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Thebes
Through the Desert
Thunderstone
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Tikal
Tikal II: The Lost Temple
Tobago
Tournay
Trajan
Troyes
Urban Sprawl
Vasco da Gama
Walnut Grove
Who eats Whom: The Cardgame
Wyatt Earp
Zombie Dice
      275 answers
Poll created by rahdo

P.S. Maybe this is crazy and won't work, but what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Curses, I can't edit the poll now. Well, I made a slight mistake and should have mentioned that if I do Pandemic, the video would include the On the Brink expansion.

Basically my thinking is that for some of these games, while they do have plenty of video coverage, their expansions might not. So while the world definitetly doesn't need another Agricola video, a Farmers of the Moor vid might be very useful since a lot of people ask "should I get this if I like Agricola? How does it change the game?"

Hence my mentioning of how I'd do the walkthrough with expansions in the vids as well, except I messed up and forgot Pandemic's most excellent On the Brink.

Please continue voting, citizens! The results are already very interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaargy, I forgot Roma I & II! Ah well, if you'd like that, thumb this post, I suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you do a game like Thebes, you might go through the setup, and then skip ahead until you're almost to the first dig. I know with Peloponnes you fudged a bit to get that first feeding round in, which was really important. With Pandemic, ideally you would show an outbreak, and an epidemic.

But...that would mean starting and stopping the camera, or editing. Which hasn't been your "just get the video done" style. So maybe not. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAA, editing!

Yeah, I have thought about stacking the decks to ensure timely results to demonstrate things, but I've resisted it because I really do want the spontaneity of real gameplay to come across in the vids.

Pandemic, with expansions activated, would need to show a lot of unique events to get everything across, but I think the way I did it in Peloponnes ("okay, let's say we were unlucky and drew... ... ... this tile") worked okay. For Thebes, I think I might just play really aggressively, and maybe go on a dig sooner than I really should... (although neither of them seem to be ranking high on the must see list)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I think the way I did it in Peloponnes ("okay, let's say we were unlucky and drew... ... ... this tile") worked okay. For Thebes, I think I might just play really aggressively, and maybe go on a dig sooner than I really should...
Yes, it did work. And yes, you could dig early.

About the only highly-voted game that I know is Notre Dame. In that one, presumably you would want to play a full round, to show the nobles, church, and rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I reckon so. ND would actually make a pretty good vid I think, especially for all the 7 Wonders fans who aren't familiar with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gong
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Add one " would love it" to a vid review for mykerinos.

The older games with no vid reviews need more love from guys like you that are willing ro do them.

--Clicking refresh every ten minutes on BGG waiting for your next video to appear--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Augh, too long a list. I didn't make 2/3 of the way through before giving up.

Why don't you make vids of the games you think are under appreciated on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did that for the earlier polls, and thought about doing it again, but I realized it means I'd constantly be spamming the board with polls. Plus, a lot of people were asking me for games that I would have not thought to do because they already had existing vids, and I figured it'd be good to get a better idea of what people wanted across the board.

Plus I thought it'd be cool to have a MEGA POLL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgong101 wrote:
Add one " would love it" to a vid review for mykerinos.

The older games with no vid reviews need more love from guys like you that are willing ro do them.
Yeah, Mykerinos is a great game, and really deserves a vid. Even though it didn't rate highly in the poll, I'll likely do one for it eventually, because as a general rule, I prefer to cover the uncovered.

I'm hoping the vote count will get up to 50 today, which'll probably trigger my next vid (though I'm going to bang out Coney Island really quick today). Right now it's looking like Trajan is the clear frontrunner, which is surprising since it's already got a few vids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Right now it's looking like Trajan is the clear frontrunner, which is surprising since it's already got a few vids...
I doubt people checked to see if vids existed or not. So with that in mind, I think you should limit yourself for now to games that either have no vids at all, or where yours would add something dramatically different.

That was one advantage of your earlier, smaller polls: They were pre-filtered to only list games that are in dire need of videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
I would prefer you write things up instead of do videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I doubt people checked to see if vids existed or not.
It's true, though I did specifically ask people to only vote for a video that they would themselves seek out and watch, so in theory, all those votes for Trajan indicate that people do want something more than what's available in video form so far.

Right now, Trajan's best (or most in depth, I should say, since there's nothing wrong with any of the vids currently done) vid has to be the one from Eekamouse, and his are always great, but are essentially video versions of the instruction manual (very thorough and well thought out presentations of how all the rules work). And what I'm doing is very different, I suppose, so I can see how my doing a vid for it would make sense (and I certainly love the game enough to talk about it... it's my #2 from 2011)...

Quote:
So with that in mind, I think you should limit yourself for now to games that either have no vids at all, or where yours would add something dramatically different.

That was one advantage of your earlier, smaller polls: They were pre-filtered to only list games that are in dire need of videos.

Very true. But I figured I could get the same results with a big poll, and then sort by 1) which games actually need videos and then 2) most requests. With that in sort, I'd say the winner turns out to be The Hanging Gardens, followed by Coney Island (which I just did today), Santa Cruz (which I did yesterday), Mykerinos, Hellas, etc. (i.e. the ones that would be expected, for the most part). But these ones rank way lower down on the request list than Trajan, Dungeon Petz, Brass, Ora et Labora, Fresco expansions, etc.

Hmm, maybe I should alternate: one heavily requested one, then one with no love, then another heavy request, and so on...

richiebabes wrote:
I would prefer you write things up instead of do videos.
Hehe, that would be a lot more work! A LOT more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go, Lancaster! Vote, vote for Lancaster!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, and at 50 votes, Lancaster did surge to first place. Okay then, the people have spoken!

Obviously, I'll show it with the 2p rules, which will make it a bit different than the other vids out there, so should be interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Better late than never...I voted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And as lucky voter #68, let's see what you've won...

SEVEN CAMELS PULLING A BRAND NEW BOXCAR!
limecamelgrapecamelcaravanblacktrain

In other news, I'm uploading Lancaster and Trajan now, though it'll be many many many many many hours before they're on Youtube. Will update the geeklist when I can, but for those who want to be kept appraised, you can always subscribe to me on the Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/rahdo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as mentioned in the Trajan & Lancaster discussions on my video geeklist (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140177/boardgame-walkt...), I was recently looking into leaving semi-retirement to go work in Malta. On Friday Jen and I decided to give it a go, so I'll be moving over pretty soon. As I'm going back to full time work, I fear I won't have much time in the future for making vids , so for now, I think my 12 vids will have to be stand as my complete oeuvre. Sorry I won't be doing more, but thanks everyone so much for voting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back! With a video for Dungeon Petz you can find here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/17443/dungeon-petz/dungeo...

Still don't know how often I'll be able to do these what with working full time, but enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I'm doing a 4th poll due to unusual circumstances. Would love to hear what people would like for the next couple of vids. Here's the link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/813818/poll-iv-the-cult-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for this - then noticed that you already uploaded most choices I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Non-video reviews are better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
As Brass is getting reprinted soon, I would be interested in seeing your take on the Brass 2 player variant. Do you modify the original board, or did you print the popular 2 player map on the Brass page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into getting the 2p board professionally printed, but it would have cost as much as the whole game! So I just use the extra cards that are removed in 2p and cover up the towns we can't build lines to. Works fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |