Subject: Combining Axis & Allies with Twilight Struggle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex K.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

So has anyone come up with a way to combine Axis & Allies with Twilight Struggle?

You'd need to have some way for the Soviet player and the USA/England player in Axis & Allies to be playing competitively against the Axis (or "against the game").

I was thinking, you could have both players take alternating turns with the Axis in an attempt to damage the other guy and take as few losses as possible. Maybe you could accumulate Influence points during the WWII phase to be spent once the Axis is defeated and the Cold War game begins?

Any input would be really appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I'm thinking replace the dice with rubber bands and firecrackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex K.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hahaha!

Yeah, it would be a completely different thing altogether. My friend and I were just geeking-out about the idea and were wondering if it could be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea makes me think of Battle for Germany, in which one player is the US/E.Germans and the other player is the USSR/W.Germans during World War II. The goal is to be the first player to reach Berlin I believe.

A game that cover the close of WWII and leads into the Cold War would be interesting... plenty of historical "what if" type questions to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
While making a chain, linking games chronologically, its best only to use the outcome (data at game end) to influence the start of the next game. Players, sides, factions need not be the same throughout, just the what if scenario.

While you are at it make it a day and play Origins before A&A...

Afterthought...Try mashing Imperial 2030 and Twilight Struggle together... losely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Conflicting theme aside - were talking two completely different game mechanics as well.

Maybe back up a step - are you wanting to take more of the military aspect of AA and implement them in to TS? or do you want more of the "intrigue" and surpise aspect of TS inserted into AA?

Or are you simply looking for the "prequel" to TS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argothair _Bialyvich
United States
California
flag msg tools
You could set up Axis & Allies with a Spring 1944 position, and have a simple 'bot that tells Germany and Japan to mostly build infantry and sit at home and play defense. You could play Axis & Allies for two full turns, and then try your best to honestly transfer the A&A position to the TS game board.

There's really three main problems with this approach, aside from the mind-boggling complexity, novelty and length of time required.

One is that Axis & Allies really has no concept that matches up with "influence but not control." You could say that you get 1 influence per 3 units or something like that, and then you'd need a bunch of extra units to get control of the higher-stability countries like West Germany and Finland...but this is pretty weird, because Axis & Allies incentivizes you to make one giant attack with one giant stack, so you'd want to deliberately sabotage your A&A position on the final A&A turn in order to optimize your TS position.

Two is that Axis & Allies features a lot of luck. Like, a lot of luck. Especially if you're going to call the game after a fixed number of turns. Let's say the US is attacking Japan. The US could win and have 8 units left over -- or the US could get crushed, lose its fleet, and not even be able to attack again the next turn. Can Twilight Struggle really survive that kind of setback? Like, suppose you were the US player, and you had to start a game of Twilight Struggle with no influence in Japan, South Korea, or the Philippines. Would you play it out? Or would you just surrender and scoop your pieces?

Three is that the territories often don't match up. Twilight Struggle has no Baltic States, no Belarus, no Ukraine, no New Guinea, no Hong Kong, and no Okinawa. If somebody conquers less Axis territory than normal, there's no way to show that on the TS board. Conversely, Axis & Allies has no territories for North Korea vs. South Korea, and unless you're playing a very advanced version that takes a long time to set up, you also have no separate territories for West Germany vs. East Germany or for Laos vs. Thailand vs. Vietnam.

So, you probably *could* do all this, and I'm not saying I'd turn you down if we had the whole day free and both game boards ready to go -- but I'd probably rather just play Churchill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls