Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Flattery [+] I-love-Tony-Slattery [+] [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
offsides wrote:
If you let people get away with violating your trademark, you lose it.

And that is so plain stupid and silly that the brainfart produced by that legislator was probably heard over the entire globe.

I can see where they wanted to go with such a legislation. There are, however, better ways to solve the problem they wanted to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
For me, it's all about whether it's right.

Translation: as long as you get what you want, then everything is fine.

Your translation skills have room for improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Megerman
msg tools
mbmb
Zimeon wrote:
offsides wrote:
If you let people get away with violating your trademark, you lose it.

And that is so plain stupid and silly that the brainfart produced by that legislator was probably heard over the entire globe.

I can see where they wanted to go with such a legislation. There are, however, better ways to solve the problem they wanted to solve.

Your perspective is predicated on the modern era, where the Internet allows images and information to travel at nearly the speed of light, and it's simple and common for someone to take someone else's Trademark and use it for things that will be viewed al around the world. Trademark laws were created back when images really did hold monopolies on what people thought because there was no simple way to duplicate someone else's Trademark without either not knowing it existed (which usually meant it wasn't in widespread use anyway) or intending to do so. Nowadays it's possible for fans to grab a copy of (e.g.) the Ogre silhouette and make a fan avatar on an internationally populated forum and have people see it all over the place without intending to cause confusion.

That being said, the law is what the law is. Does it need some changes to deal with non-infringing fan uses on the Internet? Sure - I'd go so far as to say what it needs is just an exception to the "dilution" portion of the law, where people using it for things like avatars and the like doesn't pose any threat to the owner in case they don't pursue the "infringing" use (or make it clear that things like that aren't infringement). But until it changes, it is what it is. If it was being written from scratch now with nothing previous, I'd agree that the law as it exists is a pretty bad way to go. But given how things worked when it was written, it's actually nowhere near as bad as Copyright or even Patent law...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
offsides wrote:
But until it changes, it is what it is. If it was being written from scratch now with nothing previous, I'd agree that the law as it exists is a pretty bad way to go. But given how things worked when it was written, it's actually nowhere near as bad as Copyright or even Patent law...

Alas, I can't but agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cummins
United States
Vicksburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Might Be Monsters: Mage
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a IP free version of a game similar to OGRE? I mean, I love OGRE for getting me into light wargames but I don't want to produce any work that I cant share or don't own. I have a 3d printer and I want to design some models, but because of IP I am not even going to waste my time uploading my OGRE files to Thingiverse.

However, I do want to design and print the equivalent of the Designers Edition but for another game.

P.S. I just saw that Kwanchai said this http://boardgamegeek.com/image/859489/ogre?commentid=1811237... Woah. Now I am really confused. Isn't he the guy who copied from the original without asking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Kwanchai copied any of the original OGRE artwork, but we haven't had a long, misinformed argument about IP for at least ten minutes so let's do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I don't think Kwanchai copied any of the original OGRE artwork, but we haven't had a long, misinformed argument about IP for at least ten minutes so let's do this.

Based on a brief scan through that thread, my understanding is that it was not claimed that he copied the artwork, but that he copied the rules text and the "OGRE" trademark...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.