Subject: Shops in london rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
I was recently in london for a week and realized that as a foreigner i have no idea where to find genre-shops.

Googling did me no good but i will get back to that. My friends sent me to Camden and its notorius market, but the "geek-shops" that was supposed to be everywhere around in the small streets around the market... Well, i couldn't find them, there where a few comic shops but thats not entirely what i was looking for now was it .

Then theres google, it returned a good few results for me, but the ones i tried turned out beeing miniature heavy shops with a high focus on GW-stuff.. So, in the end i went to the large forbidden Planet close to the british museum that i already knew about (and was aware that they are by no means a game store) and actually picked up Thunderstone and Arcana sort of cheaply.

Is there any good boardgame retailers on the streets of London?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisure Games (north London) and Orcs Nest are the ones I know of.

You also have Boardgameguru (Paul Lister) who does mail order and delivers to London board games clubs. All recommended!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
Leisure games is sort of close to finchley? Orcs nest is close to tottenham court road?

Both look very interesting, and seeing as I am returning to London twice this year (at the minimum) I will make sure to give them both a visit.

Thank you good sire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you've basically covered it.

Orc's Nest is the only proper games shop in central London. Small but packed.

Forbidden Planet is basically round the corner from Orc's nest but isn't primarily a games shop. It is good for many geeky things, though, and is often cheaper than Orc's Nest.

Leisure Games is the best, but is quite far out. They're good for mail order, but I've never been to the physical shop.

Boardgameguru isn't a shop but an internet business, but is very well-regarded. I have heard that if you're going to any of the gaming clubs in London you may be able to get Paul to bring games along so you don't have to pay postage! But I've never bought from him so can't comment from experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game shop n Camden market...no idea what it's called but it's near the stables nd of the market...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamessinden wrote:
There is a game shop n Camden market...no idea what it's called but it's near the stables nd of the market...
Like the OP, I've heard of this but never seen it. A quick search revealed their (feeble) website:

http://www.villagegames.com/acatalog/

Apparently they're at 65 The West Yard, Camden Lock. Here's that location on Google maps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=65+The+West+Yd+Camden+Lock,+...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
Gratts on finding the elusive shop

Website does not instill confidence now does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Appelberg
Sweden
Piteå
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if Playin' Games is still around? They used to be on Museum Street IIRC, but their Facebook page mentions them moving to another venue in 2010. But I can't seem to find the new address, or even their website, anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Playin' Games is long gone. As far as I know they never did move to another location, they just closed in June 2010.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Appelberg
Sweden
Piteå
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
No, Playin' Games is long gone. As far as I know they never did move to another location, they just closed in June 2010.
That's a pity, that was a very nice little store. They were actually recommended to me by staff from Forbidden Planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work in Playin' Games and it closed a couple of years ago due to issues with the landlord. Even though the initial plan was to relocate I think the owners decided it wasn't worth it in the end.Which was a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:

Boardgameguru isn't a shop but an internet business, but is very well-regarded. I have heard that if you're going to any of the gaming clubs in London you may be able to get Paul to bring games along so you don't have to pay postage! But I've never bought from him so can't comment from experience.
I have stopped taking games to sell at London clubs as I found myself not actually playing any games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Compendia in Greenwich market. It's mainly a traditional games shop (they have a fine range of Carrom tables) but it does have a decent selection of Euros too. And Greenwich is well worth a visit anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yigit Yurt
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend boardgameguru.co.uk

it's a online shop, fast and reliable. and its prices better than the other shops in london.

when i was in london i got a lot of games from there and never had any problems.

also during the secret santa 2011 event my friends ordered a few games for their english targets without any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like both the Orc's Nest and Leisure Games (ON is more conveniently located, but LG has a better stock range). Both are pretty similar in price (about RRP) so take your pick.

If you'll be in London for a week or so, I'd happily recommend boardgameguru too (assuming Paul'd be happy posting to a hotel or perhaps to your workplace). Even with postage, it'll probably still be cheaper than OC or LG.

As a side note, Forbidden Planet seems to have cut back on their games stock in the last week or so. I was in there on Thursday of last week and they've moved all of the 'proper' boardgames upstairs, but there are definitely less available. Munchkin and the like are still downstairs.

Mini disclaimer: boardgameguru sponsers the podcast The Royal Society of Gamers that I'm part of, but I bought from him all the time even before the podcast existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, i was by forbiddenplanet, have to say i was a bit surprised at the selection. I'll deffo check out the other two stores this summer, probably end up ordering from boardgameguru sooner or later too, nice selection i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick update to my earlier comments in this thread: I said that I'd never bought from Boardgameguru. Well, now I have, or more accurately my wife has, as she bought me Jambo for my birthday! It arrived quickly, well-wrapped and in excellent condition. So now I can recommend them from experience.

To be fair, I've also mail ordered from Leisure Games, and bought from Orc's Nest and Forbidden Planet when actually in London, and I've never had a problem with any of them. But Boardgamguru is usually cheaper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eclectic games
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
xipuloxx wrote:
jamessinden wrote:
Like the OP, I've heard of this but never seen it. A quick search revealed their (feeble) website:

http://www.villagegames.com/acatalog/

Apparently they're at 65 The West Yard, Camden Lock. Here's that location on Google maps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=65+The+West+Yd+Camden+Lock,+...
As far as Village Games goes - they are a tiny tiny shop (floor dimensions probably 20ft by 20ft) and really really nice. They are packed to the gills with stuff even hanging from the ceiling last time I was there. They mainly cater to the tourists visiting the market, but had a good selection of most of the games we would consider to be 'mandatory' for any hobby games shop.

Becky - eclectic games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you everyone, will give me something to look for in september when i actually have tim in London to do things like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Sphere
57 York Road
Waterloo
London SE1 7NJ

Never been there myself, but from their webpage seems they have a pretty nice selection at good prices. Looks like I will be buying some stuff there when I visit in a weeks time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
feel free to give an update if you visit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
Dark Sphere
57 York Road
Waterloo
London SE1 7NJ

Never been there myself, but from their webpage seems they have a pretty nice selection at good prices. Looks like I will be buying some stuff there when I visit in a weeks time.

Never heard of this one. Will see what it's like and report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
Dark Sphere
57 York Road
Waterloo
London SE1 7NJ

I went there shortly after they opened. It isn't an enormous shop and much of what they had was miniature wargaming stuff but the staff were friendly and it's easily reached from Waterloo station. Orc's Nest has the largest selection that I know of in London but as mentioned before can be quite pricey which is to be expected considering its location in central London.

xipuloxx wrote:
Boardgameguru are great! They have a brilliant selection and good prices. As Xipuloxx said, they're mail order but by arrangement, you can pick up from them directly and avoid the postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisure Games has a *far* bigger stock than Orcs Nest, but it's a lot more out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom orsomething
Norway
OSLO
flag msg tools
mb
flyingfish wrote:
Traitor76 wrote:
Dark Sphere
57 York Road
Waterloo
London SE1 7NJ

Never heard of this one. Will see what it's like and report back.
I actually found this one by accident last year. They are for all intents and purposes all mini's with a few exceptions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls