United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
2019 unique titles | 2019 total plays
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids and I visited their grandma and grandpa recently and my 3 year old was excited to "bring some games that they don't have over there." My parents are gamers and have a nice collection, but not as many games for younger kids.

My son (age 3), my dad and I set up Flash Point: Fire Rescue for a play through the family game. Just as we were about to start, my daughter (age 8) asked to join in. Of course, we welcomed her. She is not as keen on gaming as my 3 or 6 year old, but this game has grabbed her interest more than others. I explained the rules for the family game to my dad, with my son interjecting and clarifying as I went. My son also made clear that he wanted to play the experienced game, but we settled on the family game since it was getting late and grandpa was playing for the first time.

For the first several turns, everything seemed under control as grandpa and my daughter each saved a victim and all of us kept the fire under control. Then, we had 2 or 3 consecutive explosions in a corner of the house and I was knocked down. My son ran over and put out the fire, pretty much by himself.

Everything seemed under control again as my daughter and dad each were carrying a victim to the same exit. The room that they were in filled with smoke. My dad saved one person and the moment my daughter stepped outside and saved the next person, the entire room that they just left caught fire. It was a very close call.

Then, we had another set of 4 explosions in the opposite corner of the house from the first explosions. This time, my daughter was knocked down and we lost a victim. The fire was raging and the structural integrity of the building was beginning to fail. My kids and I were each carrying a victim toward safety while grandpa was fighting the out of control fire. It seemed like just a few turns more to save 7 victims and there were just 3 black cubes remaining.

I carried out a victim and then ran back inside, ready to fight a fire. The fire fought me and I was in the ambulance again. My daughter carried a victim to the doorway... not quite safe yet, but very close and I was just outside the door. My son carried another victim to safety... that made 6 saved and we were close. Grandpa ran into the heart of the fire and took a moment to decide whether to turn left or right before dousing the flames and calming the fire on a space. He turned left.

Then, after his turn, the fire advanced in the exact spot where he had doused the flames. Phew! Had he turned to his right, we would have had another explosion and the building would have collapsed on us all. It was a game saving move!

Next, I reached in the doorway as my daughter passed me the last victim to be saved and we just escaped with 7 people in good care. It was mighty close, but grandpa's fire-fighting is what saved us in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
great session report. Really captures the accessibility of the mechanics, the appeal of the theme and tension of game play very well.

It is my hope that your family continues to enjoy it, and that others see the family game rules in Flash Point as a great way to spend time together as a family. Its never too early or too late to hook someone into this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls