Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Discussion Thread for Cult of the Old - A 2004 and Earlier Math Trade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the discussion thread!

If you're looking for the trade list, it's here.

If you're looking for the request list, it's here.

This is the place to let me know if you have any questions, concerns, gripes, or if you just want to discuss the trade.

My one request: if you have any hiccups with the trading process once the results are final, please try to work things out in private first before going to this thread. This will be the 41st math trade I've participated in, and there have been very few actual issues that weren't caused by a simple mistake or miscommunication that was easily rectified with via GeekMail.

Now that that's out of the way, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic idea! Although the two games I most want to trade are from 2005...you picked one year too early!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This is a novel idea and worth exploring. Most of what I want and don't already own from before 2004 is stuff that I won't be able to get, I'm sure, but I've thrown a few things up of varying value so we'll see what shows up that perhaps I haven't heard of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unclear on the interaction between "options: copies" (required for this math trade) and duplicate protection.

Let's say there's an item with two copies listed.

If I list such an item as wanted by two or more of my items, is it possible to use duplicate protection? How?

If it's automatic, then how do I show that I *want* two or more copies, as sometimes happens - say, Heroscape expansions where I want the extra terrain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
I'm unclear on the interaction between "options: copies" (required for this math trade) and duplicate protection.

Let's say there's an item with two copies listed.

If I list such an item as wanted by two or more of my items, is it possible to use duplicate protection? How?

It's automatic.

sos1 wrote:
If it's automatic, then how do I show that I *want* two or more copies, as sometimes happens - say, Heroscape expansions where I want the extra terrain?

This, unfortunately, is not possible with Copies. That's the downside. My personal preference in a vacuum is actually against using copies for this reason, as the items most likely to have dupes (gift certificates) are also the ones most likely to have people not care if they get more than one. However, after a recent huge math trade, a number of people complained about the number of items and indicated that they either stopped looking through the list at a certain point or even that they were going to take a break from math trades. (That's what prompted the games-only trade earlier this year.) To my knowledge, copies has never been mandated before, but I thought it would be interesting to try it to see if the trade off is worthwhile (i.e., if more users participate or if the users who do are happier looking through the list and therefore have longer wants).

Granted, since this is a semi-boutique trade, we won't be able to measure anything, but that was my motivation, for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting trade-off. The number of gift certificates is definitely ridiculous in some trades, and filling out the OLWLG checkboxes very tedious. So hopefully this will help a tiny bit. I think in the last MT trade I stopping looking at gift certificates after the first two or three days of the geeklist, it was just too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next MT should be a "You decided quickly you don't like it -- 2011 or later only..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
gatchaman wrote:
Next MT should be a "You decided quickly you don't like it -- 2011 or later only..."

This is great! and I have a few I'd want to do for this.

I also have a handful of games I might list for the cult of the old... Great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gatchaman wrote:

Or a concurrent "2005 and Newer" MT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aksosa wrote:

Yeah, but I think that would not be very limiting. I would bet the vast majority of games offered in the last big MT were 2005 or newer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatchaman wrote:
aksosa wrote:

Yeah, but I think that would not be very limiting. I would bet the vast majority of games offered in the last big MT were 2005 or newer.

That's sort of what gave me the idea - not that the offers were new, but most of the hugely wanted ones were. I've found that I get as many or more wants for my older games in boutique trades (with fewer users) as I do in the unrestricted ones, and there are a few older games I'm interested in, so I thought it might help everyone trying to trade older stuff to take out the new games. 2004 was an arbitrary date selected when I noticed that was the latest year of the stuff I was planning to list. (I probably should've made it 2006, since my personal biggest want at present is Imperial )

That said, I'd probably participate in a 2005 and newer trade (if I can find something to add) if somebody runs it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state more recent editions of games originally printed in 2004 or earlier are allowed. Recently the new edition of Evo was given it's own BGG entry separate from the original edition. Are games such as Evo that have a separate BGG entry from pre-2004 version allowed? I wanted to be clear about situations like this before I add a couple games to the math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoTeamVenture wrote:
The rules state more recent editions of games originally printed in 2004 or earlier are allowed. Recently the new edition of Evo was given it's own BGG entry separate from the original edition. Are games such as Evo that have a separate BGG entry from pre-2004 version allowed? I wanted to be clear about situations like this before I add a couple games to the math trade.

Thanks for asking first! I decided to draw the line semi-arbitrarily at what the BGG page for the item says for the year, so Evo 2nd edition is out with a year of 2011. It's much easier for me to check it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Campagna
Canada
St-jean-sur-Richelieu
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great idea! I like to find some gem in older games! thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat excited about this, but am confused by the inclusion of gift cards.

They're the ultimate 'cult of the new' item, and they've been clogging the top of the want lists for the past three years or so. It's curious to me as to why they'd be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I am somewhat excited about this, but am confused by the inclusion of gift cards.

They're the ultimate 'cult of the new' item, and they've been clogging the top of the want lists for the past three years or so. It's curious to me as to why they'd be included.

Everything I've read about past math trades has indicated to me that the inclusion of GCs has helped more non-GC items to trade, especially higher value items where people are pickier with their wants. Personal experience suggests that that's true, too. For instance, as of this writing, my want list for Netrunner (which isn't even a super-high value item) consists solely of the $30 GC - there are some games so far I'm interested in, but they're all lower value. If the trade ended this way, it's the difference between somebody having a chance to get my non-GC item or not.

I mean, I'd be fully supportive of people listing GCs in the spirit of the trade - to a place like GoodOldGames, for instance, or saying that they'll order any older game from a FOGS where the total comes to $30 or less, or something like that. I was actually expecting at least one person to do that. But I didn't think it was worth hurting the trade for the thematic benefit.

(If it helps, I've gotten several GCs in the last few months in math trades, and I used them all last month to buy a game from 2004 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gatchaman wrote:
aksosa wrote:

Good point. I'll probably set one up in the next day or two. I'm thinking of using 2009- present, but I'm not sure if that's "new" enough for some. Any thoughts?

In the meantime, I'll dig up some things for this math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aksosa wrote:
Good point. I'll probably set one up in the next day or two. I'm thinking of using 2009- present, but I'm not sure if that's "new" enough for some. Any thoughts?

In the meantime, I'll dig up some things for this math trade.

Yeah, I think if it's really going to be a "Cult of the New" math trade you could even make it newer -- when I said 2011 I wasn't joking, but I would probably go for a 2010 limit.

2009 is Thunderstone, Small World, Steam...those don't feel that new anymore. Old hat.

2010 is 7 Wonders, Fresco, Forbidden Island...those feel in between. Not new but not out of fashion yet. Although I've definitely played 7 Wonders to death, there's lots of 2010 games that I haven't even tried yet.

2011 is LOTR Card Game, Quarriors, Eclipse. Those still feel pretty new.

I guess my point is that if the new games are getting the most "Wants" then force people to put up stuff that is also very new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, most of my "for trade" list is 2005-2009...and almost all of my "want" list is from 2010 and 2011.

So I'm just as bad as everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the same. I actually have a couple of nice pieces of trade bait but they fall in the 2005-2009 range so I can't list them in either this or the 2010-2012 math trade.

Maybe we need a third math trade. 2005-2009 the forgotten years math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Maybe we need a third math trade. 2005-2009 the forgotten years math trade.

The funny part about that is that, as I mentioned, Imperial (2006) is the game I'm most interested in acquiring at present, but even if someone did this, I don't think I have anything to part with during that time period. (And I have no one to blame but myself )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to list a copy of HeroQuest that is missing most of the miniatures and a few other things. Can I use the main HQ page for my entry, or should it go under Outside the Scope of BGG? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it's still playable, use the main HQ entry, and just make sure that it's very clear (large or bold text) that it's incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Can the altname option be used with the main listing? I could altname it to Incomplete HeroQuest if that's the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, altname only works with Outside the Scope (and maybe a couple other ones, like Misc Game Accessory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.