Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Welcome to the discussion thread!

If you're looking for the trade list, it's here.

If you're looking for the request list, it's here.

This is the place to let me know if you have any questions, concerns, gripes, or if you just want to discuss the trade.

Now that that's out of the way, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Albert!

If anyone's wondering, I suspect it'll take about 20 minutes to run and upload the results from the Cult of the Old trade, and I'll make the results official within the hour (assuming no technical glitches), so if anyone is participating in both, you should know how many trades you have from that one before want lists are due for this.

I'll probably put something in this myself...I haven't fully decided I don't like Gears of War: The Board Game yet, but I can't resist a math trade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that geekgold is a 2010 cult of the new thing - clearly it was around in 2009 and back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ropearoni4 wrote:
I don't think that geekgold is a 2010 cult of the new thing - clearly it was around in 2009 and back
Good point. In that case please only list geek gold that's been obtained after 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can sweeteners be pre 2010?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bamf226 wrote:
Can sweeteners be pre 2010?
Negative. Everything must be 2010 or later - even sweeteners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Johnny on the spot.
Microbadge: 2013 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2014 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2019 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participant
Crap, I was about to put Chaos in the Old World up on here when I realized it was published in 2009. Buit the awards that it won are in 2010, that should be good enough right ? No,no just kidding.

Will there be a "Cult of the Middle Aged" MT soon ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shieldwolf wrote:
i hope so.
Same here. If no one steps up, perhaps I'll run one after these two math trades run their course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Johnny on the spot.
Microbadge: 2013 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2014 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: 2019 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participant
This is only my second MT and, it's been some time since the first. I will need to go back to the "for dummies" threads and learn it again. Was pretty easy following those guides from what I remember.

One question though, We don't start setting up our trades until after the trade deadline gets here, correct ? I assume the "wants" deadline is for submitting our lists ?

Nevermind !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm screwed!Microbadge: Registered Trademark
Anyone aware that both of these [Cult] trades are happening during Geekway to the West? (Thursday to Sunday)

Please, won't someone think of the children geek-wayers?

(I think this somehow happens every year. It's a conspiracy I tells ya.)

No biggie, I'll tear myself away long enough to do lists, but ...I wonder if it will hurt participation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a subscription list for Math Trades? Or specifically worldwide or USA-wide ones? Sometimes I don't notice them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! Subscribe to this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/218951/math-trade-announceme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:
Anyone aware that both of these [Cult] trades are happening during Geekway to the West?
I wasn't. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: King of ThriftersMicrobadge: Ebay fan
VolcanoLotus wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:
Anyone aware that both of these [Cult] trades are happening during Geekway to the West?
I wasn't. blush
Probably a little because of the trade table. A chance to make trades and pay no shipping

It is possible to do both but not easy..

1) put items to these math trades
2) trade table is on Saturday and ends around 5pm Saturday night.
3) now that you know the results of the trade table, submit your math trade want lists Sat Night or Sunday before the deadlines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Johnny on the spot.
I must say, I am surprised by the large amount of Mage Knight games in the trade. Many of them are still NIS though, so maybe just "extra" copies ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
So in a MT, does a Geek increase their chances of a better match by adding more comparable items to their want list, or adding fewer items? I'm still trying to figure out how the ins and outs of the string work so I can get a better understanding of how things go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is that you're most likely to get the item that's wanted by the least number of people.

Longer answer: the only thing the computer cares about is maximizing the number of users who have at least 1 trade. When it works through iterations, it looks for ways to "lengthen the trade chain", or involve more people. If your goal is just to make a trade, longer want lists are always better. If you want a specific game or games, but would rather hang on to your item than trade for some lower priority ones, leaving items off will not necessarily increase your chance of getting the high priority items, even if you're the one with Eclipse - I mean, it will in the sense that it decreases the chance of you getting a less desirable item, but it also increases your chance of not trading at all.

The "golden rule" of math trades is to only put items on your want list if you can picture yourself seeing the results and being excited about that trade. That's a pretty good litmus test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks VolcanoLotus!

I made 6 entries on the Request List and out of those 6 entries, 4 of them have at least 2 entries on the MT list. So I selected all of them in the OLWLG against my contributions. So based on what you said, my chances of getting one of those games is "in theory" better than if I only selected say just 1 Want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Gassman
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this is my first math trade. I have two questions --

1.) How do I submit items from my RPGG and VGG collections to the math trade via olwlg? I only see items from my BGG collection appearing as options.

2.) How do I submit requests to the request thread? Are people using olwlg to do this as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Johnny on the spot.
EvanGMan wrote:

1.) How do I submit items from my RPGG and VGG collections to the math trade via olwlg? I only see items from my BGG collection appearing as options.

2.) How do I submit requests to the request thread? Are people using olwlg to do this as well?

1. Did you enter the RPG and VGG items on the trade list ? I don't use the OLWLG to enter the items, just list on the trade list and they will "magically" appear on the OLWLG.

2. The same way you add items to the trade list. At the top of each page of both lists will be the original header by the OP. At the bottom of that post is a button that says "add item". Once you click that, you will see available entry options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
The short answer is that you're most likely to get the item that's wanted by the least number of people.

The "golden rule" of math trades is to only put items on your want list if you can picture yourself seeing the results and being excited about that trade. That's a pretty good litmus test.
Thanks, Jeremy. I couldn't have said it any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mulligans wrote:
EvanGMan wrote:

1. Did you enter the RPG and VGG items on the trade list ? I don't use the OLWLG to enter the items, just list on the trade list and they will "magically" appear on the OLWLG.

2. The same way you add items to the trade list. At the top of each page of both lists will be the original header by the OP. At the bottom of that post is a button that says "add item". Once you click that, you will see available entry options.
Likewise, Thanks Mulligans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm screwed!Microbadge: Registered Trademark
Cult of the New Rules Question:

I had assumed that I couldn't submit my 2010 printing of Get Bit! because the main listing says "(2007)" (and it wasn't granted a separate main listing for the newer edition), but now I'm seeing #117, which seems to be okay.

So maybe I was reading the submission rule too harshly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |