Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
4 players last night. On the "B" side of the board, at Veteran difficulty for the first time. 3 of us had played before.

We decided to take a driver, CAF f/f, Hazmat and Imaging guys.

Steve and I have setup down pat now, I read the instructions, he rolls the dice, and between us the house is pretty quickly full of trouble. There are a lot of hotspots with 4 players at veteran, I notice.

My Imaging expert tells us we have 3 real victims and I decide on that basis that a quick change of spec might be useful.

Some helpful hosing-down from the engine keeps the early fires under control, but the moving engine frustrates my planned re-spec, I'd forgotten you have to be in the engine to make the change.

The hazmats are a) awkwardly located and b) not once triggered in the whole game; we take from this that next time we might've been better using e.g. a paramedic from the off, to help get people out.

Mike is doing a sterling job with CAFs, extinguishing smoke and flames like they're going out of fashion.

Sadly Steve seems to be playing for the other side - he's an arsonist, Mike declares more than once. By midgame his unlucky rolls have us in all sorts of trouble. He cannot roll a fire advance location without a hotspot in it, and soon we're struggling with major structural damage.

With but 3 victims saved, we're down to 5 structural markers left out of play. Ouch. I briefly contemplate calling it a day, but hey, 2 more victims are en route to the doors and you never know.

Our luck turns. Every roll for Advance lands us with a fresh puff of smoke but away from fires and hotspots and POIs. The fire begins to recede. Another victim is saved.

Then luck hits an oilslick. Steve the arsonist rolls an Advance and hits (again) a hotspot. Reroll. Hotspot. Reroll. Hotspot. Noooo!

We now have 1 cube left. Next explosion and we're toast. I rescue victim #5 and briefly contemplate running off to leave the rest of 'em in the collapsing inferno.

Luck pulls off a handbrake turn. 2 more POIs turn out to be people (after a bunch of false alarms) and both Steves are headlong for the hole I chopped in the wall (2 doors just isn't enough).

The Advance rolls are with us. Still the one cube left holding up the roof. Steve & Steve are in the last square inside the house, adjacent to the hole in the wall, the ambulance is outside - 1 more move each, and we hit 7 rescues.

Luck gives us the finger. I roll an explosion and it's all over.

Amazing session. We were all 4 practically shouting over each of the last dozen rolls. Victory so close... but I don't mind. With an ending like that, we all agreed it was the most fun we'd had with a BG for ages. Love it. And we're pretty sure we accidentally put 1 (maybe 2) false alarms back into the draw pile, so just maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Sadly Steve seems to be playing for the other side - he's an arsonist, Mike declares more than once. By midgame his unlucky rolls have us in all sorts of trouble. He cannot roll a fire advance location without a hotspot in it, and soon we're struggling with major structural damage.

Beloch wrote:
Then luck hits an oilslick. Steve the arsonist rolls an Advance and hits (again) a hotspot. Reroll. Hotspot. Reroll. Hotspot. Noooo!

I see you're problem. You were playing all wrong. Read the directions next time. Page 3 of the instructions clearly says "Lock Steve in a burning room and go it without him". whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls