Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

First of all apologies if this thread falls into a wrong category. I am a silly European that knows very little about the geography of the United States.

In summary, I am travelling to Canada and on my way back I have to wait 10 hours at Philadelphia airport. I was told that the airport is quite close to the city (30 min by train?), so I thought that I could take the chance to take a quick look at the city.

Of course, tourism includes boardgame shopping!! Can you recommend me any easy-to-reach-with-public-transport shops around the area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
easy-to-reach-with-public-transport

That's the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the shop that's easiest to get to from the airport is Redcap's Corner. It's about a 15 minute walk from 30th Street Station (which you can get to easily on the train from the airport). The train runs every half hour and is $7 each way. Here are walking directions from the station:

http://tinyurl.com/82amghb

Redcap's moved a few months ago and I haven't actually been to their current location. The old one was nice - a good selection of games and plenty of tables to play at. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the replies

Unfortunately, redcap's webpage is kinda skeletic...but I guess I will take my chances and take a visit there!!

Thanks again and I will let you know how did it turn out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
In summary, I am travelling to Canada and on my way back I have to wait 10 hours at Philadelphia airport. I was told that the airport is quite close to the city (30 min by train?), so I thought that I could take the chance to take a quick look at the city.

Of course, tourism includes boardgame shopping!! Can you recommend me any easy-to-reach-with-public-transport shops around the area?

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you will be able to leave the airport in Philly if it's just a layover. You won't technically be in the US at that point and you would have to collect your bags and go through immigration and customs in order to leave the departure area. I don't think you are allowed to do that unless it's your final destination or you have a connecting flight to somewhere else in the US. Better spend a little extra on boardgames in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
rlux202 wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you will be able to leave the airport in Philly if it's just a layover. You won't technically be in the US at that point and you would have to collect your bags and go through immigration and customs in order to leave the departure area. I don't think you are allowed to do that unless it's your final destination or you have a connecting flight to somewhere else in the US. Better spend a little extra on boardgames in Canada.

This is no longer true. It used to be true--if one was just connecting in the US, airports had special "international transit passengers only" areas that connecting passengers couldn't leave. But so few people were connecting in the US that they got rid of those, and now everyone who enters the US goes through customs and immigration whether they are staying in the country or connecting on to another flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls