BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Heading to NY rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doh Ogerse
Argentina
flag msg tools
mb
So ive seen various threads but they all come down to the same shop The Compleat Strategist. I was wondering if you could give some other stores to check out, Brooklyn area woud help out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dohogerse wrote:
So ive seen various threads but they all come down to the same shop The Compleat Strategist. I was wondering if you could give some other stores to check out, Brooklyn area woud help out as well.

The reason they all come down to The Compleat Strategist is because that's pretty much the only game store in NYC. The rent in NYC for storefronts is astronomical, and with the margin on games being razor thin, it's very difficult for niche/hobby stores to survive.

Having said that, here's a link to a store in Williamsburg. I've never been there, but I've read about it.

http://twentysidedstore.com/

Enjoy your visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doh Ogerse
Argentina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot, this will come in handy since Ill be staying in Brookly I wont have to be carrying a lot of games for long periods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Lai
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depending on where you are in brooklyn, it's sometimes easier and faster to get to manhattan than it is to get to another part of brooklyn.

here's another store in brooklyn:
http://www.kingsgames.com/

i haven't been to either brooklyn store, but i'm pretty sure both brooklyn stores will have nowhere near the selection of compleat strategist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Tumarkin
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to 20 sided many times and know people who frequently go to Kings. Neither has the selection of games that the Strat does, but the Strat feels like a time machine. Games are piled to the ceiling and there is a sense of the grognard that permeates all in the way that game shops of the 80s did as a standard. The smaller shops are smaller, but they are a touch more proactive and younger in crowd as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls