Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Buchanan
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to make a trip to East Texas and was wondering if there are any good game shops in the area. I'll mainly be in and around the Palestine/Corsicana area, along with a few trips to the Alvin/Pearland area outside of Houston. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron blake
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
In Houston, the two oldest game stores are Rick's Darts and Games and Nan's Games & Comics.

Rick's is my favorite of the two. Rick has been in business since 1974 and will almost always be available to talk about games in general and where they are being played locally. Rick's is now my go to store for gifts for my grandchildren. From traditional board games like chess to an awesome selection of darts and accessories, Rick also offers a wide range of other gaming and recreational goodies. Go there, but bring money. You will find something you must have as a gift or for yourself.

Nan's is also a great store with an ecclectic twist -- a RPG accessory inventory that sometimes borders on the surreal. Nan's is worth the visit just to see their sometimes odd ball selections, but you'll also find a wide variety of board games as well.

For your entertainment in the small towns of East Texas, read up on the domino game Forty-Two, 42. It is the national game of Texas. Played regualrly in bars, honky tonks, VFW posts, Elks Lodges, Senior Centers, parlors and county fairs, you might even find a Baptist preacher in a game.

Popular in Texas long before Texas Hold-em became fashionable, you can almost always find a game going on somewhere. Often for stakes, both small and large, don't get involved in playing for money unless you're prepared to leave some behind. Old country boys and girls just love "teaching" newcomers all about 42. If the stakes aren't too large, just write it off as an entertainment and educational expense

Enjoy your trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get bored drive to Oklahoma City and visit http://gameheadquarters.com/. Saturdays are busy and might be fun to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Madness Comics and Games in Plano which will be about a 2 hour drive for you from Corsicana. They have a game night on Saturdays. There is a gaming group that meets in Plano on Tuesdays as well. Check on Dallas Games marathon which happens every month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls