United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been captivated by the reprint of Age of Steam and, since the majority of my gaming is as part of a duet, I wanted to try my hand at creating a smaller map. Being a Scottish ex-pat. in the US, this was was first thought. I have uploaded a couple of photos of the map. Two ferry routes are available with all towns requiring urbanisation prior to route building ($6). $2 to build track between Glasgow and Ayr. The rest is standard AoS. We play that the "Turn Order" action, if taken, allows you to be the first in turn order the next turn, no auction required. We had a great game on this map tonight, very tight, very close, 70-67. Any criticism is much valued. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic GIMET
France
SAINT JUST D'AVRAY
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ! But I can't find your file... Maybe not allowed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I created the map from scratch by drawing hexes and coloring them in using Paint Shop Pro, perhaps I will just post the photos. ninja

Thanks for your kind words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting your work! I don't fully understand your rules changes.

Quote:
Two ferry routes are available with all towns requiring urbanisation prior to route building ($6).

Ferry routes: How do they work? What do they cost?

"All towns requiring urbanization": Are you saying that you do not allow the building of track to and through towns?

What is the $6 in the parenthesis? Is that what it costs to Urbanize? If it is, then do you take the "Urbanize" action out of the game?

Quote:
$2 to build track between Glasgow and Ayr. The rest is standard AoS. We play that the "Turn Order" action, if taken, allows you to be the first in turn order the next turn, no auction required.

I like your modification of the "Turn Order" Action!

Thanks,

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Lerche
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
$2 to build track between Glasgow and Ayr.

Hi

If player A builds from Glasgow to Stranraer via Ayr (town) then player B urbanizes Ayr, does player A still keep the Glasgow-Ayr link? Or does player B have the option of paying $2 to create the Glasgow-Ayr link?

Phillip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting your work! I don't fully understand your rules changes.

Quote:
Two ferry routes are available with all towns requiring urbanisation prior to route building ($6).

Ferry routes: How do they work? What do they cost?

"All towns requiring urbanization": Are you saying that you do not allow the building of track to and through towns?

What is the $6 in the parenthesis? Is that what it costs to Urbanize? If it is, then do you take the "Urbanize" action out of the game?
Ferries count as one link for moving goods and for VP determination at end game. They can only be built (counting as one track build and costing $6) after both ports have been urbanized. Urbanization rules play as normal.

Quote:

Quote:
$2 to build track between Glasgow and Ayr. The rest is standard AoS. We play that the "Turn Order" action, if taken, allows you to be the first in turn order the next turn, no auction required.

I like your modification of the "Turn Order" Action!

Thanks,

Foob

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boycat-OH wrote:
Grildensnork wrote:
$2 to build track between Glasgow and Ayr.

Hi

If player A builds from Glasgow to Stranraer via Ayr (town) then player B urbanizes Ayr, does player A still keep the Glasgow-Ayr link? Or does player B have the option of paying $2 to create the Glasgow-Ayr link?

Phillip

Player A should keep the link leaving a track marker balancing precariously between the two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you ever to post a downloadable file for this map? If not, any suggestions on an quick (and easy) way to re-create it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any decent graphics program can be used. I used Paint Shop Pro. Just create a blank hex grid of the appropriate dimensions, flood fill the hexes using the appropriate colors, type the text, numbers etc., use freehand tool for the rivers and then print. It's actually a neat exercise for familiarising yourself with the various features of a graphics program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So out of curiosity, why didn't you post the files for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you do anything about the number of cubes available in the cup? I noticed there were only 6 cities so presumably the dark 1-6 of the goods dispaly is unused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, no initial Purple city? Any insight as to your thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
My first impressions on playing (unfortunately not to completion for we had visitors arriving): very fun map, forces you to grab a lot of shares early on, and has lots of opportunity to practice complex track laying.

However, I'm not too sure about the following: a) is there a city which starts out with 3 goods, as do Pittsburgh and Wheeling on the original map? b) how many dice are thrown? We used 4, for with 2 it is nigh impossible to create a bit of income once you begin racking up a serious link count. (The second photo of the map seems to indicate 4 dice too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maarten and Paul,

Two goods on each city is what I originally used - roll 4 dice for goods replenishment as you surmised. I would suggest use all the new cities - no purple originally means they'll probably be used first, that was my intention.

Thanks for trying this out and commenting! Feel free to tweak and post your improvements.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post really intrigued me. Anymore comments out there that tried out this map? I really want to get a 2 player map going for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Dark Green hexes suppose to be mountains? I am trying to make the map and it just occured to me that there are no mountains on the map.

Thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
For those of you who want to have a ready-made map, I've made one available here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=17499. I've had my version mounted as well, making it look like pictured below. The zip-files also includes the rules to the map. Many thanks to Kevin and John for their kind permission to publish it in its current form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!

However, I need pointers on how to print it so that the hexes come out the same size as the AoS tiles.

I tried printing on A4 size paper and the hexes came out too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I know; you're not the first to have remarked on this. See the comments of the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great map! How many turns should be played? I'm assuming that it's played through to the end of a 3-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of rounds is the same for a 4 player, i.e. 8 rounds. The map is very tight and if it goes any longer both of you really don't have much to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Mandal
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just printed out this map, and looking forward to try it!

One question about the bidding for turn-order:
Does the first player that drops out end up paying nothing - or half of the bid rounded up (as suggested in the "2p-standard-variant" posted in this forum).
Anyone with any experience about that subject for this map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Champion Eternal wrote:
Great work!

However, I need pointers on how to print it so that the hexes come out the same size as the AoS tiles.

I took the file to Kinko's and had them print it on 11x17 glossy cardstock. It's beautiful and requires no further mounting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Champion Eternal wrote:
Great work!

I took the file to Kinko's and had them print it on 11x17 glossy cardstock. It's beautiful and requires no further mounting.

how much did that cost you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed one of the Alpha Centauri maps at the same time on the same stock. I honestly don't remember, but I believe the total was in the range of $7?

Edit: I'm going to print India this weekend and I'll update this guesstimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |