Subject: Worth a Second Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Welbaum
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
So, I picked up a copy of the game on ebay for $25 (meaning its an easy profit sell if I never play it again) and played it today for the first time. It was exceptionally boring and counter-intuitive (as opposed to Descent which seemed to make sense easily and had a solid combat structure). But, I love Marvel comics and want to like the game (the mini's are beautiful)..did any one else hate it and then find it to be more than just a dumb luck game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Welbaum
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
Basically...is it worth a second play...or should I just sell it? Did any one have a huge opinion swing with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleepwalker42 wrote:
So, I picked up a copy of the game on ebay for $25 (meaning its an easy profit sell if I never play it again) and played it today for the first time. It was exceptionally boring and counter-intuitive (as opposed to Descent which seemed to make sense easily and had a solid combat structure). But, I love Marvel comics and want to like the game (the mini's are beautiful)..did any one else hate it and then find it to be more than just a dumb luck game?

If it's boring to you, then not much reason in keeping it. But your comment about it being counter-intuitive has me wondering if you are playing something wrong. I've introduced this to 8 or 9 people (both gamer and non gamer) and have had all positive reviews with no one saying anything about it being counter intuitive.

Ultimately, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But I'm curious as to what you found counter intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Give it a quick try online (Vassal) so to at least make sure you know the rules well, 'cause it sure is complex, if not difficult.

Anyway, it's 90% combat, and dice-controlled at that. But still.. so many variations of it and it's Marvel after all.. what else do you want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your purchase. I paid more for the game when it was new.

The game implementation is a bit dry because there's not a lot of story to be had with the crime cards or the main scenario cards. It relies on your imagination and familiarity with the source material to fill in the gaps as you roll dice during combat. It helps if you play with people who understand the game mechanics (ie - played more than once) because the strategy aspects are what pull you in.

I find the game interesting because once or twice during the play session I'm agonizing over which attack type to take - red, orange, or yellow - because I can't protect myself in every category. There's also the dynamic of deciding whether to press your luck and complete the game on the current game turn vs. waiting for the next turn when all the hero teams could potentially earn the required victory condition if the scores are close.

Taking story actions to earn ally cards is important in the game. Saving and earning story points to spend on allies or a late game hero surge is important too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience trying to play this with my kids... We ended up making our own rules but still using most of the components.

The rules out of the box are atrocious... You should download a player aid and flow chart. After I did that it became a better game... Now if I can only protect the figures from my enthusiastic son. I am worried Stretch will not last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with one of the earlier posters, make sure you've got the rules right. I know the first time I played I thought it sucked. I can't tell you how badly I'd mucked up the rules though.

At this point, I consider it to be one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Benjamin
Germany
Buxtehude
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur! It gains form session to session. I would at least give it a second try ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group REALLY didn't like it, and has not allowed me to bring it to the table since our first play. It didn't click till nearly the end of the game, and by that point it was 3 am.

On the other hand, they finally let me bring Witch of Salem back to the table after a royal trouncing the first time, and really liked it.

If you haven't already, give it another chance. I am thinking of forcing my group back in at least one more time before passing on my copy after a little perusing of the forums for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirt Purdy
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE,
could you post the page where you found the helpful chart?

Thanks!

P.S. Dr. Strange's cape was the first casualty of my son's excitement. It still fits, but it comes off pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules book clarity = bad

Game fun = good

Fun game, fast paced and interesting combat. Fun to play both villains and heroes.

Definitely worth a second play. If you can't get into the combat, then for sure this is a pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
turf wrote:
StevenE,
could you post the page where you found the helpful chart?

Thanks!

P.S. Dr. Strange's cape was the first casualty of my son's excitement. It still fits, but it comes off pretty easily.

You should get Universal Head's game summary from the Files section.

I agree that this game is mostly against combat. And combat where you roll a lot of dice and then have to carefully apply effects and abilities. If you despise luck-based games stay away. But if you are into Marvel - especially bronze age Marvel - this game is a blast, no matter what the nay sayers think. And I suggest you try first with 2 players only: zero downtime, as when it's your opponent's turn you get to play his nemesis and actively work to obstruct him. Have yet to see another game where downtime is so cleverly taken on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls