Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Gameshops in london rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Fellow gamers, I am in London for two days for work. I don't know if I'll have time but I would love to visit a game store. Can you recomienda one? I am pretty far from the city in Canary wharf but will travel.

Thanks in advance
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
Avatar
mb
abendoso wrote:
Fellow gamers, I am in London for two days for work. I don't know if I'll have time but I would love to visit a game store. Can you recomienda one? I am pretty far from the city in Canary wharf but will travel.

Thanks in advance
What are you looking to do there? If it's just browse the selection and buy games, then Orcs Nest (http://orcsnest.com/) is the most central and probably easier to get to from Canary Wharf. They are a little expensive though

If it's to browse games and play then Leisure Games (http://www.leisuregames.com/) is further out but a better prospect for people to play with.

If it's just to play games, then a games shop is not what you really need in London, you would most certainly be welcome along at London on Board (http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/)

Hope that helps!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a full-on game shop, more of a hobby shop that sells (about 20 to 30) games, but Compendia is a short walk from Canary Wharf.

Essentially, head South down the isle and walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel which will take you to Greenwich and it's in the market square which will be at your 11 o'clock as you come out of the tunnel entrance.

Also, it's well worth taking in London on Board if you get the chance!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I was there a couple of tears ago. Really sorry i can't remeber names. My brother lives in Walthamstow and he directed me to an excellent one not far from there. I'm wracking my brain but cannot remember what it was called. Orcsnest is worth the visit. Only a small shop but its they really use the space. If you go to the British Museum as you leave the museum and off to the right is a quiet little street with a boardgame shop. Worth a visit if in the area.
Sent my bro a message for name of first shop,will post it here if he replies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiddleydwarf wrote:
I was there a couple of tears ago. Really sorry i can't remeber names. My brother lives in Walthamstow and he directed me to an excellent one not far from there. I'm wracking my brain but cannot remember what it was called. Orcsnest is worth the visit. Only a small shop but its they really use the space. If you go to the British Museum as you leave the museum and off to the right is a quiet little street with a boardgame shop. Worth a visit if in the area.
Sent my bro a message for name of first shop,will post it here if he replies.
The shop near British Museum is no longer there.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiddleydwarf wrote:
I was there a couple of tears ago. Really sorry i can't remeber names. My brother lives in Walthamstow and he directed me to an excellent one not far from there. I'm wracking my brain but cannot remember what it was called. Orcsnest is worth the visit. Only a small shop but its they really use the space. If you go to the British Museum as you leave the museum and off to the right is a quiet little street with a boardgame shop. Worth a visit if in the area.
Sent my bro a message for name of first shop,will post it here if he replies.
Playin' Games is the shop that was near the British Museum. Closed down about 2 years ago.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiddleydwarf wrote:
I was there a couple of tears ago.
I'm sorry to hear that it was such an upsetting experience!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to use the underground, Leisuregames are great people and really not that far out of the city. I drop in to say hi when I'm in London since they've spent so long as my FOGS :)

edit; they also have the benefit of having a great number of interesting older titles that are otherwise quite difficult to find.

B>
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Orc's Nest, last time I was in London.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mills
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
It's not a full-on game shop, more of a hobby shop that sells (about 20 to 30) games, but Compendia is a short walk from Canary Wharf.

Essentially, head South down the isle and walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel which will take you to Greenwich and it's in the market square which will be at your 11 o'clock as you come out of the tunnel entrance.

Also, it's well worth taking in London on Board if you get the chance!
you could walk, but much quicker to take the DLR from Canary Wharf to Greenwich
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
When I am London I typically measure my location in terms of tube stops to Orc's Nest. Dead easy to get to from Canary Wharf as well.

Last Sunday I was a mere one tube stop away but had to stay on the line as I was on my way to catch a train. cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Forbidden Planet http://forbiddenplanet.com/ on Shaftesbury Avenue has a small selection of games.

They have recently moved the games section from downstairs (where I preferred it) to upstairs near the Doctor Who stuff.

cheers
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
Avatar
mb
fairfaxx wrote:

They have recently moved the games section from downstairs (where I preferred it) to upstairs near the Doctor Who stuff.
OH, the MOVED it? Nice of them to put a sign up or something

I noticed the games shelf was dwindling rapidly then eventually vanished, I just assumed they'd decided to stop stocking boxed games and just sell RPG books
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisure Games (mentioned elsewhere in the thread) is a vast shop with a HUGE selection of games, including older titles. It's great for browsing and buying, but is some way from central-east London on the train/tube. Not sure how they are for wargames (I notice you have lots), but they have tonnes of other games and accessories.

Orcs Nest is closer and has two small floors packed with games, but it is smaller than Leisure Games and doesn't consistently keep titles in stock. It's a bit of a pot luck what you'll find in there. They have a wall upstairs filled with wargames.

Forbidden Planet is a geek culture store. Loads of Star Wars figures, fan t-shirts, and sci-fi/fantasy themed boardgames. They usually have a full range of Munchkin expansions, for example, but don't expect to find a Renaissance-themed euro or historical wargame in there. It's a must-see if you want to pick up some signed zombie novels, an Angry Birds figurine, some Alien memorabilia and a light saber with your board games. I recently bought an 'Evil needs candy too' t-shirt for the gym from Forbidden Planet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
Leisure Games (mentioned elsewhere in the thread) is a vast shop with a HUGE selection of games, including older titles. It's great for browsing and buying, but is someway from central-east London on the train/tube.
Well, straight up the Northern line to Finchley Central, out of the station and 'round the corner. Not a complicated trip.

B>
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
veemonroe wrote:
Leisure Games (mentioned elsewhere in the thread) is a vast shop with a HUGE selection of games, including older titles. It's great for browsing and buying, but is someway from central-east London on the train/tube.
Well, straight up the Northern line to Finchley Central, out of the station and 'round the corner. Not a complicated trip.

B>
50 minutes each way from Canary Wharf... So that's almost a two-hour round trip!

You can't pop across there during a long lunch hour or anything!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You clearly need to work on your lunch hours :)

B>
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heynes
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
www.shiregames.co.uk is a great choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
Avatar
mb
kinekor02 wrote:
www.shiregames.co.uk is a great choice.
I think you might be confusing 'London' with 'England'. Shire Games are in Stoke on Trent
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon_platoon wrote:
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
It's not a full-on game shop, more of a hobby shop that sells (about 20 to 30) games, but Compendia is a short walk from Canary Wharf.

Essentially, head South down the isle and walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel which will take you to Greenwich and it's in the market square which will be at your 11 o'clock as you come out of the tunnel entrance.

Also, it's well worth taking in London on Board if you get the chance!
you could walk, but much quicker to take the DLR from Canary Wharf to Greenwich
You'll want to get off at Cutty Sark station for Compendia, Greenwich station will leave you with quite a stroll back in the direction you just came.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Thanks to everyone, sadly I finished the meetings at eleven pm on Monday and was back at another meetings at 8 am on tuesday. I am Back in Spain now but will surely revisit london soon!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Thanks to everyone, sadly I finished the meetings at eleven pm on Monday and was back at another meetings at 8 am on tuesday. I am Back in Spain now but will surely revisit london soon!
But this has been great advice for my forthcoming trip to London.

It's a pity Playin' Games has closed, but hopefully I can wheedle a trip out to Leisure Games.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trif wrote:
abendoso wrote:
Thanks to everyone, sadly I finished the meetings at eleven pm on Monday and was back at another meetings at 8 am on tuesday. I am Back in Spain now but will surely revisit london soon!
But this has been great advice for my forthcoming trip to London.

It's a pity Playin' Games has closed, but hopefully I can wheedle a trip out to Leisure Games.
Say hi for me if you get out there. They're probably wondering where my torrent of orders went. :)

B>
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
trif wrote:
abendoso wrote:
Thanks to everyone, sadly I finished the meetings at eleven pm on Monday and was back at another meetings at 8 am on tuesday. I am Back in Spain now but will surely revisit london soon!
But this has been great advice for my forthcoming trip to London.

It's a pity Playin' Games has closed, but hopefully I can wheedle a trip out to Leisure Games.
It's a shame they closed as they had really good staff and reasonable stock. Orc's Nest is OK but I won't go there now but maybe it has changed. It is also a short walk from Forbidden Planet.

Leisure Games is by far the best, excellent staff and a lot of stock. If you can put up with the 40mins or so tube and walk from Central London it may be worth it. It is where I go anyway even though it adds a lot of time to my journey.

Unfortunately UK retail rent and rates are very high where there is a decent footfall so game shops are as rare as hens teeth.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
Avatar
mb
Halfinger wrote:
"trif"][q="abendoso"]Thanks to everyone, sadly I finished the meetings at eleven pm on Monday and was back at another meetings at 8 am on tuesday. I am Back in Spain now but will surely revisit london soon!
But this has been great advice for my forthcoming trip to London.

It's a pity Playin' Games has closed, but hopefully I can wheedle a trip out to Leisure Games.[/q wrote:


It's a shame they closed as they had really good staff and reasonable stock. Orc's Nest is OK but I won't go there now but maybe it has changed. It is also a short walk from Forbidden Planet.

Leisure Games is by far the best, excellent staff and a lot of stock. If you can put up with the 40mins or so tube and walk from Central London it may be worth it. It is where I go anyway even though it adds a lot of time to my journey.

Unfortunately UK retail rent and rates are very high where there is a decent footfall so game shops are as rare as hens teeth.
Orcs Nest is better than it was, they have a nice lady who works there now who is much more approachable and knowledgeable and nowhere near as abrasive as the usual employees. They are still tragically overpriced but it's a decent place if you really want to find something now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |