John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is the WIP thread for Microbrew, an economic game about investing in and creating craft beer.

Some initial design thoughts on the game as I get started:

Game objective: Make the most money.

Method of achieving objective: Invest in craft beers, and provide supplies for those beers to be created. Payout per investment when beer recipe is completed.

Means of making progress toward objective: Action selection? Maybe one "economic"/"investment" action and one "supply" action per turn?

Multiple recipes in play at one time, but not all recipes in play at one time.

It might be neat to tie each beer to a month, and provide bonuses for investing in and supplying the beer that matches the current month. Also provides a "order of operations" mechanic if two recipes are completed at the same time.

First set of "need to do": Learn about craft beer ingredients, seasonal craft beers.

EDIT: First draft rules/components are available at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50ggkunon7g0n3q/WCXf3TWuQz

EDIT: Full game ready at above Dropbox link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Microbrew - 24-Hour Design Contest
3-hour update:

Have most of the rules done; just need to decide on starting money and how to determine starting player.

Going with the "beer of the month" idea, with four of each lager, pale ale, stout, and wheat. Each recipe of those types will have ingredients in common. Also working on a mechanic to give each beer a unique mechanic.

Currently working on matching beer type to month, naming beers, and each beer's "when brewed, do this in addition to payout" mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Props for the unique theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Props for the unique theme.

Give the credit for the theme to
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
mbmbmbmbmb
; it was a tweet from him a couple weeks ago that gave me the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 PM update:

Rules are done.
Mechanics are done.

Working on iconography (Noun Project is CC, so as long as I attribute, it's legal), so I'm hoping to have something up for community review tonight and polishing in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 PM Update:

Preliminary rules and components are up. I welcome any comments anyone can provide (especially if you're crazy enough to be able to playtest tonight):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50ggkunon7g0n3q/WCXf3TWuQz

Also, someone let me know if the link doesn't work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Microbrew - 24-Hour Design Contest - Feedback wanted!
Link seems to work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 PM update:
Noticed a couple things to fix for tomorrow in the rules (need a cost for the Resupply action and to clarify that money increments are $1,000). Will fix in the morning after I get whatever feedback I get from the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 AM update:
Had a conversation a couple hours ago (don't ask) in which a friend expressed concern about a player's ability to jump to an early lead and dominate the game. I'm not going to be able to update files until around 8, but I'm considering compensating for this by making buyouts more expensive as the game goes on (adding the number of completed Recipes x $1,000 to the buyout cost) and changing the payout system so that the primary investor doesn't get as much profit as the secondary and tertiary investors combined (either giving each investor profit equal to the next lower investor's investment - with the lowest investor getting half again their investment in profit - or flat payouts, although I think flat payouts might be boring).

Player interaction also came up, but I'm less concerned about that until I get to run some playtest tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11:30 AM Update:

Done. Updated rules and components here (really, only the rules have changed since last night): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50ggkunon7g0n3q/WCXf3TWuQz

Taking this to Protospiel next weekend for playtesting, and hopefully revising and releasing as PnP afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.