17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Germany

Subject: Famous Boardgame Store in Germany rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nerf Plz
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
I am a boardgame fans and I am going to visit Germany next week.
I will stay at Munich and Frankfurt and I would like to know is there any iconic/famous board game store in this two cities?

Thanksmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes H.
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
Meat is for pussies!
badge
Karma is a funny thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly there is nothing like that in Frankfurt.
A few recommendations are listed here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3020126#3020126

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, Munich does not have what I consider to be a great game store, much less a famous or iconic one.

There are these, however, which might suit you, depending on what you're looking for:

Obletter: Toys and games with a good-sized selection of games in the basement; staff are not necessarily gamers, but if you know what you're looking for, this might be a good choice.
here

Games-In Roll-playing games, miniatures games and many foreign imports, also fantasy and SF literature (unfortunately, the owner is a bit of a grouch)
here

Funtainment mainly miniatures games and CCGs, lots of play space, very friendly staff)
here

Deparment Stores like Galeria Kaufhof (letter B in the map) and Karstadt also have surprisingly large game sections, and not only mass market titles either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
If you go from Munich to Frankfurt, try to put in a stop in Mannheim, home of "Fantasy Forest". I think they qualify as famous.

Grab a copy of their game "Konzern" (despite the German name rules are available in English and the game itself is entirely devoid of language) if it is still in print.

Regards,

Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hoefle
Germany
Ebersbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerf - how long are you staying in munich?

Maybe there is time for a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hoefle
Germany
Ebersbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Anwar? How much is the Konzern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
It's available on the BGG marketplace for 15 Euro plus shipping - I'd say that's a steal for such a good game.

Regards,

Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was in Munich, no FLGS there, but Obletter is quite a big toy store as they go and if you're after german family games and fillers there are tons of that stuff. (Recommend to look at 6-7 eur fillers). Games-in is a funny joint - basically wargames + comics + sci-fi and fantasy books + RPGs + a few american games (FFG, some old stuff). The chief doesn't speak english, but has somebody to help. So what you won't find in Munich are heavier euro games of european publishers. Check department stores, often Queen has some older titles on discount, also Auf Achse should be findable somewhere if you want it.

Wasn't in frankfurt (boargame shopping) yet, best FLGS I've seen so far anywhere is in Hamburg.

And if you're in munich check some excellent modern/contemporary art galeries/museums. And waste a day in science museum (if you're into that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerf Plz
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Thanks very much!

I think I will visit Obletter and some department stores.

Obletter kind of matching what I expect for Famous game store.

Its old and big

>Tom Hoefle
I only stay for 3 days.
It seems to be a bit not enough to discover such a big city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 days in munich? no problem
- 1 day technic museum
- 1 day galleries
- 1 day shopping

(galeries can tak 1/2 a day, so you're free to explore. being a bombarded city everything worth visiting is quite obvious (as it's the only thing reconstructed). the park by the isar river is nice as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, wow, sgosaric, seems like you missed experiencing Munich altogether. Pity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
Er, wow, sgosaric, seems like you missed experiencing Munich altogether. Pity.
oktoberfest?

well I do visit every a couple of years, so I'm please tell me, I can go check. I remeber there's some cafes by university, I think there's some night club district somewhere more north. (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterZiegler wrote:
If visiting a city is reduced to cafes, night clubs and fairgrounds, then you miss everything in every city.
Like? going to work? meeting people I don't know and won't meet?
Okay now you germans do intrigue me. please don't tell me what I'm doing wrong as I have no freaking idea, tell me the answer please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
PeterZiegler wrote:
If visiting a city is reduced to cafes, night clubs and fairgrounds, then you miss everything in every city.
Like? going to work? meeting people I don't know and won't meet?
Okay now you germans do intrigue me. please don't tell me what I'm doing wrong as I have no freaking idea, tell me the answer please.
Since when is the Kingdom of Bavaria considered as Germany ? devil
Don't be fooled by them seperatists

Quote:
best FLGS I've seen so far anywhere is in Hamburg.
Just out of curiousity, which one was that ? Magierspiele ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I'm in Munich for 2 days, usually working, so there's some time free in between rehearsals. Munich I like for some reason I can't pinpoint, might be that mitteleuropa milieu , I'm from as well. I love Lembach house galery and visit it each time I'm there. Also I'll check Pinakothek der Moderne. Then I go restock my tea stock in TeaGeschwender (whenever I'm in Germany or Vienna).

I've talked to some technicians in the theatre we were at, and was surprised to learn how many germans were moving into Bavaria from the north. (freistaat Bayern, I know). Supposedly nature and good food are one of the benefits of moving there (being from similar country, I'm not missing those, so maybe that's why I'm surprised).

I've hecked - it is Magierspiele. The store itself is charming in completely other way than their site. I'd feeled quite welcomed, talking to staff for one or two hours, also they have 8 tables for gaming, with regular gaming nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:

I've hecked - it is Magierspiele. The store itself is charming in completely other way than their site. I'd feeled quite welcomed, talking to staff for one or two hours, also they have 8 tables for gaming, with regular gaming nights.
Yeah, that was a low hanging apple

I like Magierspiele too, but their store times are quite odd,
Tue-Thu: 10:00 - 13:00
Fri: 15:00 - 22:00 (game night)
but I guess, that is because the online shop is their prime focus.

By the way, If you happen to be in Hamburg, drop me a GM, maybe we can meet and play a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
3 days in munich? no problem
- Hofbräuhaus
- Löwenbräu Keller