A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first play of Leuthen and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Here are some of my impressions:

Components
First, the components are fantastic. I always appreciated VPG titles, but I really found the components to be a stumbling block for me. This is why I looked forward to GMT productions of VPG titles. But now that VPG has this gold banner component series my concerns in this regard have been removed. The components in Leuthen are superb. The counters are thick and laser cut (nothing hanging from the corners of these, no tearing upon removal and they even have rounded corners!). The counters are legible, bright, big and perfect. But the great components go beyond the counters. The map is a nice glossy paper and it is vibrant in appearance. Again, a beautiful production and significant improvement over past maps from VPG. The player aid is of similar quality. The player aid is also very useful to play (sometimes player aids are not so much of an aid). The cards are also a huge improvement. They are glossy, vibrant, big (standard card sleeves) and they are not paper. They are still a little thin (I sleeved them), but they are very nice. Finally, the rulebook is in color and printed on glossy paper. Very nice indeed.

Components: A+

Gameplay
I really enjoyed how this game plays. Most of the rules are pretty standard for hex and counter wargamers. The interesting elements are threefold. First, there is the asymmetrical nature of the forces. The Prussians are fewer in number, but greater in strength and morale. The Austrians are more in number, but lesser in strength and morale. Second, there is the morale component of the game. As units rout they impact the overall morale of their corps and as corps morale drops there can be a cascading effect that impacts other corps of the same army. I like this mechanic a lot and it is implemented well in this game. Lost Battles has a similar system and I found it a bit clunky and unsatisfying there (although many love it). I just think Leuthen does this morale mechanic better. Third, the cards make this game more interesting. Cards can be used to impact movement and combat for both your units and your opponent's. This adds a bit of fog of war and surprise to the game without becoming too powerful and determinative. These three elements, asymmetry, morale and cards, make this game incredibly fun.

Gameplay: A+

Final Thoughts
Obviously, I have rated this game highly and only after one play, so take that for what it is worth. I find first time impressions more valuable in wargames than Euros. I am rating this so highly for what it is - it is not the greatest wargame I have ever played, but if you want an light wargame that plays within an hour, has a lot of interesting decisions and excellent components, then this is a game for you.

I think the game will have a decent amount of replayability given the cards and possible free set up. I am guessing that I will play it a few times a year. It would be good to introduce new players to wargaming.

I played my game solo and really enjoyed it. Obviously, the dummy units have less impact in a solo game (a two player game would have more fog war). The dummy units can still be used in solo game to slow down an opponent's movement given the EZOC rules. I think it played very well solo.

I also appreciated this game because it dealt with a topic about which I had very little knowledge.

I am really looking forward to additional games in this series. VPG thank you for producing a great game and for the SUPER components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Miranda
France
Contamine sur Arve
Haute-Savoie, Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played the game, but I agree about the components: they are a big step forward, compared to other VPG products I have come across.

Let's hope a PBEM module will be released soon, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I looked forward to GMT productions of VPG titles. But now that VPG has this gold banner component series my concerns in this regard have been removed. The components in Leuthen are superb.

Maybe GMT should contact VPG to ask if they could possibly be interested in reprinting some of the top GMT titles. I'm joking, but not that much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review; I appreciate your defining the parameters of the review in terms of what the game is within its wargame genre. I agree about the new VPG components, having recently bought "In Magnificent Style."

I'm hoping to see this series move into the American Revolution, Napoleonic, Western Hemisphere wars of liberation, and Crimean Wars. Also wondering whether the system will work to reflect battles from the Jacobite rebellions and Spanish Succession actions.

The SYW doesn't interest me too terribly in boardgame format--I prefer miniatures for this era--so have held off on "Leuthen". How would you evaluate game balance and replay value for a game with relatively few units per side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
How would you evaluate game balance and replay value for a game with relatively few units per side?

I can only guess at this at this point. It is a tight map with very few units. So in this sense the options seem somewhat limited. Given the objective hexes and small footprint, I think set up would tend to follow a pattern relatively close to the historical set up. The use of dummy markers in a two player game would give it some additional replayability as would the randomness of the cards. The game is balanced by the asymmetry, but I think this may limit replay a little. The Austrians will have to use their numbers to surround, combine and flank the Prussians in order to break their superior strength/morale units and I think this would also tend to be the strategy.

So I could see playing this a couple of times in a row and then needing to put it away and revisit it in a few months. After playing it, I desired to play it again to explore it more. But my hunch is that after playing it a second time soloe I will either wait awhile or wait until I have a FTF player to explore teh game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.