Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Ladd
United States
Oak Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I live in Oak Park Michigan and would like to hear from others in the area about where they purchase their boardgames and if anyone has any experience with R.O.B.A. Most of my purchases are made at Guild of Blades in Madison Heights and some at R.I.W. in Livonia. Any other input on local gaming groups would would be great. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RIW has game nights every Wednesday. If you click on the guilds in my profile, you'll find a group that meets up in Canton (BLOC), Brighton (BLOB), and Ann Arbor (Great Oak). Most of those are quite a drive from where you live though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderTrout wrote:
Hello all! I live in Oak Park Michigan and would like to hear from others in the area about where they purchase their boardgames and if anyone has any experience with R.O.B.A. Most of my purchases are made at Guild of Blades in Madison Heights and some at R.I.W. in Livonia. Any other input on local gaming groups would would be great. Thank you.

ROBA is amazing - highly recommended. You may also want to check out Metro Detroit Gamers - they run MichiCon and a monthly game day at the Sterling Heights Public Library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremiah a
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
XanderTrout wrote:

Ron,

It's probably too far, however, I like to talk about it on the forum whenever I can, but there is a place called Gamer's Gauntlet in Clinton Township that I like to frequent. I thought I heard that on their game nights on Wednesday's they are doing a discount on boardgames. I'd call or post on their message board before I went out there just for the discount http://www.gamersgauntlet.net.

Also I believe it has been mentioned about a game group that meets at the Sterling Heights library on the third Saturday of the month. You can find them on Meetup.com. I only went to ROBA once and they were very nice even though I brought along my 3.5 year old boy.

I think I need to start a group that meets over on the East side.

jeremiah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're ever in West Michigan again you should stop in at Out of the Box Game Store in Zeeland. Fantastic selection, lots of gaming space, plus a consignment program which means there are gently used games available at a (sometimes) bargain price. Plus Jeff, the owner, is a great guy!

Send me a Geek mail if you want info on our game group, Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers (GRAB).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I don't live in Michigan but often visit friends in SW Michigan near Paw Paw/Kalamazoo. I would be very happy to join in some weekend or holiday gaming day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Ladd
United States
Oak Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the responses.
As of June 2nd I became a father and found my life turned upside down in the most beautiful of ways.
Since the birth of my son,my schedule and that of my gaming buddies have been in a state of confict. These groups look to be just what the doctor ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Arnold
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I host a game night in Ferndale on the 1st and 3rd Thursday evenings of each month. We tend to get between a dozen to twenty attendees, playing Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Seven Wonders, Blokus, Roll Through The Ages, and many other casual-to-medium strategy games. Occasionally there are also party games at some of the tables, like Are You The Traitor.

It's 6PM to 11PM, every 1st and 3rd Thursday, at the i3Detroit hacker space: 1481 Wordsworth, Ferndale, MI 48220. Pizza is provided, and dozens of flavors of soda are in the fridge for fifty cents.

i3detroit.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Ladd
United States
Oak Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do attendees bring games or play from an existing collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
most are a little of both kind of
many people who show bring games
there are often more games then gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skayboy wrote:
There are often more games then gamers
as most gamers bring games, and I've never seen anyone bring only one game, I'd think that the word often is an understatement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderTrout wrote:
Hello all! I live in Oak Park Michigan
Ron, my wife and I live just up the street in Berkley. If you are ever interested in "random game night" try a GeekMail and we can probably see what happens. I've been to ROBA and GOB game days, and I will say I've had my most fun headed west to Great Oaks, BLOC, and BLOB. BLOC is what actually got me actively involved n the gaming community after being on their MeetUp list for like a year. They often have an after party that goes late, and great Oaks and BLOB always go till at least 1:00 am. Its to the point where I feel like I'm not even gaming unless I play at least 12 hours ;-). And sometimes I'm forced to as often my wife works mid nights.

All three of the above had Guilds on the Geek you can join to get more info, and if the drive is too long gain hit me with a GeekMail and we may car pool if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in the Ann Arbor area, there is a store called Fun 4 All, that has game night every Wednesday from 6-9. There is seating for 30 easily, and if you game on that Wednesday you can purchase games from the store at 20% off.

KC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderTrout wrote:
As of June 2nd I became a father and found my life turned upside down in the most beautiful of ways.
Since the birth of my son,my schedule and that of my gaming buddies have been in a state of confict. These groups look to be just what the doctor ordered.
We are expecting our first around 12/1/12 and my wife has been worried how we'll get gaming in. I've been threatened that since I wanted the kid I'm gonna be stuck home breast feeding while she's out till all hours of the night shuffling cards and rolling dice.

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kearn Reif
United States
Webberville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fulner wrote:
XanderTrout wrote:
We are expecting our first around 12/1/12 and my wife has been worried how we'll get gaming in. I've been threatened that since I wanted the kid I'm gonna be stuck home breast feeding while she's out till all hours of the night shuffling cards and rolling dice.

Congrats!

Congrats to you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
There is a new store in downtown Utica, MI now called POPS! Small store, but the owner and his wife are really nice and they have a few tables for open gaming. They have some games and supplies but if you want something they're more than willing to order it for you. Also they have a very simple rewards program. Free to join, and if you go there and hang out to play, you get a "punch" on a card. 10 punches, you get a 25% discount on your purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really great to hear about all of these stores and gaming groups in Michigan. I'm an expat living in Japan, but always make it back to the Southfield/Birmingham area during the Summer for about a month.

I would love to join a gaming night sometime in September! Ferndale, Sterling Heights, and Ann Arbor are very easy for me to get to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
It's really great to hear about all of these stores and gaming groups in Michigan. I'm an expat living in Japan, but always make it back to the Southfield/Birmingham area during the Summer for about a month.

I would love to join a gaming night sometime in September! Ferndale, Sterling Heights, and Ann Arbor are very easy for me to get to.

just keep a eye open there are bunches of game days going on all the time in the area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Ladd
United States
Oak Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it kosher to bring your own games to these stores with open tables?
I'm relatively new to this hobby/addiction, so forgive my naive questions.
Guild of blades in Madison Heights has a room with tables, but most of their events are geared towards mtg or warhammer. I will have to talk to Ryan there and see if he would be willing to host a dedicated boardgaming night.
Anybody have any thoughts on the idea of another monthly or bi-monthly gaming group somewhere in the metro Detroit area?
I was thinking in a library, church or community center.
The bigger the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking of forming a monthly gaming event in the Oakland County area for quite some time now. The biggest hurdle is finding a suitable location. I would really like it to be somewhere like Royal Oak, Clawson, Ferndale or Madison Heights. The problem with stores is the lack of space and the fact that they usually close around 8 or 9pm.

The current gaming groups that are in Michigan are either farther than I would like to drive, or tend to play games that I am not as interested in playing. I am more of a light to medium-weight euro gamer. A lot of the gaming groups seem to be focused on Ameritrash games or longer euro games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Ladd
United States
Oak Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My qualms are the same,either a bit of distance away from home(I have a month old son)or the games being played locally are light to medium ameritrash.
Don't get me wrong,I enjoy ameritrash and the drive to Roba is worth it(there are euro games there too).
It's just that I am a ravenous pig when it comes to my appetite for gaming and it would be nice to have a group locally to accomodate a good chunk of people and their varying taste in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1:
Start your own group. Run it out of your own house/apartment until it gets too big, and hopefully by then someone will have ideas/resources you can use.

Option 2:
Work with an existing group like ROBA to see if some of their members who live closer to your area than ROBA's meeting grounds are interesting in setting up something in addition to ROBA.

Option 3:
Suck it up and drive to Lansing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Berkley, and 3 Saturday's a month I drive West to game. 1st Saturday, Canton, 3rd Saturday Ann Arbor, 4th Saturday Brighton. I have been to ROBA and was disapponted in the early closing time, similar the one time I wen to game at GOB, though the GOB event I wen to was specifically to test their 2nd edition of Pantheons, and I don't think I could have played it much longer than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremiah a
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
XanderTrout wrote:
Is it kosher to bring your own games to these stores with open tables?
I'm relatively new to this hobby/addiction, so forgive my naive questions.
Guild of blades in Madison Heights has a room with tables, but most of their events are geared towards mtg or warhammer. I will have to talk to Ryan there and see if he would be willing to host a dedicated boardgaming night.
Anybody have any thoughts on the idea of another monthly or bi-monthly gaming group somewhere in the metro Detroit area?
I was thinking in a library, church or community center.
The bigger the better.

Ron,

In the year or so that I have been doing this I haven't been to a store that discourages bringing your own games especially if they have the space. Many stores have open gaming days where if there is room among the RPG'ers and Miniature gamers, you are free to do as you wish.

Jeremiah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allenj82 wrote:

The current gaming groups that are in Michigan are either farther than I would like to drive, or tend to play games that I am not as interested in playing. I am more of a light to medium-weight euro gamer. A lot of the gaming groups seem to be focused on Ameritrash games or longer euro games.

My opinon is if you are not willing to drive < 1 hour to game, you're not hardcore.

The three groups I am actively participating in, which contain many of the same people, have grown large enough that they play a fairly wide array of games. If you don't like what they play, strongly recruit those who are there to play your game of choice. Every once in a while I feel the need to strong arm an occasional play of Illuminati (Second Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |