Subject: Short Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a masterpiece. One of those gems that come unexpectedly, without much fanfare, advertising or big names. Such was the case of Zombie in my Pocket (and it's great mod Airborne in my Pocket), D-Day Dice, the D games, etc. Those were smaller PnP (though excellent) games and this is a more involved and deep experience. I'm referring to the mechanics and beautiful simplicity of design.
I tried Arkham Horror and I must say that perhaps as a 4 or 5 person game it should be a lot of fun (never tried it that way). As a solo game it's unplayable. Runebound was better, especially after some of the expansions, but still, after a few plays I beat it every time, even with the better rules of Mr. Skeletor.

Now, to Field Commander: Alexander

Components: the counters are nice and functional. Easy to distinguish and pleasant to look at. The boards are LOVELY and perfect in size for a solo game.

Gameplay: here is where this game shines the most. One has to just think of the nerve of Dan Verssen to make a game featuring one of the most fascinating and achieved commanders of all times.... and succeeding! All the main issues surrounding Alexander's life, campaigns and even personality are worked nicely into the mechanics. His quest for glory through the building (and repair) of temples and building of cities; the perils of invading a country hostile at times and friendly at others, the increased confidence in his martial abilities, all of that can be discerned and played out in this game, with simple and intuitive rules. The INSIGHTS point to Alexander's religious-superstitious personality; his advisers are relevant in approximately the areas the real guys were, etc, etc...
This game shows not only a very precise knowledge of the subject at hand, but also a genius to create the rules and mechanics to make it a game.

Summary: a superb game. Maybe not for everyone, but a must for any gamer who likes solo play and anyone with a taste for history or/and war games (though Alexander is much more than a war game).
I would LOVE to see Hannibal in the same format as this game, with the maps made by the same artist and pretty much the same mechanics (as opposed the Napoleon mechanics and maps).
I recommend this game wholeheartedly. I love it. Thanks Dan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed FC Alexander is an excellent game. I'm playing through FC Napoleon now and rate it as highly as Alexander.

I too would love to see Hannibal done with this series and of course Julius Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Thank you for a great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.