$30.00
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: I received a copy of this game through an unsolicited email by the co-designer, Adam Kornblum. He's also designed Charge Large, a Hasbro game, in 2009. Given the game's risque theme and that I usually play boardgames with new people strangers, I was initially hesitant to accept a copy. But the game had handwriting analysis, a personal interest of mine, so I went with his offer. Glad I did.

I'll start off by saying that if you, or anyone in your party games group, objects to the word, "humping" in a party game, this game is not for you. As someone who attends a variety of public Meetup game events, it took me awhile to find the right group to play this game with (hint: alcohol). But after I played Say Anything with some folks who answered "SEX" in the second round, I had no problems suggesting this game. It might also help that you know the people a little, such as after another game, although the game promises otherwise. You may also want good mix of sexes. This was the second party game we played in the evening. Alcohol is good.

Overview: WGG was inspired by the international bestselling seduction books The Game and Rules of the Game, written by Neil Strauss, seven-time New York Times bestselling author. No, you don't need to know who he is to enjoy this game. Only one person at our gaming table recognized him, and, oddly, I didn't get a sense of the books themselves after playing the game. This does not matter. The game is fun.

Gameplay is simple. The first player picks a card from the box, follows its instructions, and play passes to the next player. The cards specifically tell you what to do, and the game ends after twelve cards are played. While the instructions are simple, I did notice players stumbling because they assumed that instructions on one card applied to the next one. Stop thinking so hard, people.

Unlike many single-idea party games, WGG has several different categories, which, it turns out, play more differently than they first appear. I'll start off with the few preview cards, from VMP Saberwolf's photos (see his review) and the game website. The Leader refers to the current player who drew the card. The Leader's Partner is another player in the game, (but a Leader and his or her partner are not a party game team). I should also mention that, despite some thorough shuffling, there's no guarantee that all ten categories will appear in a twelve-round game! Each category has a different card back, so this is easily remedied. However, we had a great time without having to play all the categories. One player was stuck twice with the Storytelling Cards but did a very good job doing so! Each game is twelve rounds, for twelve cards per game. The game comes with 270 cards, and most of the cards are replayable.

After twelve rounds is The Final Challenge. Before the sand timer runs out, each player attempts to remember and write down one thing each player said during the game. This is actually easier than you think, given the memorability of some of these cards...

Rapport Card
The Leader asks a question and everyone secretly writes down their answer.
The Leader then attempts to match each person to their answer.

Storytelling Card
The Leader acts out something or does something related to public speaking.
The Storytelling Cards we played were charades, but not all of the cards are.
Yes, "Putting on a Condom" is one of of the questions!
Thankfully, the person who drew the card had her boyfriend as her Partner.

Kino: Physical Challenge
The Leader participates in a physical challenge.
We didn't play these cards, but it would have been a rather nice way to meet a MOTOS.
On the other hand, if this were an all-male game of preteen Ameritrashers, yeah, this would be awkward.

Connection Card
"Discover who knows you and who doesn't."
We didn't play these cards, either.

DHV or Demonstration of Higher Value
The Leader secretly writes down whom he thinks is the most (attribute) player then uses handwriting analysis, palm features, etc. for the answer.
Of the card categories, I found this the most interesting, SFW, and uncommon in other party games.
However, unlike the other categories, we had some downtime as the Leader had difficulty narrowing down the last answers to the handwriting analysis.

Cold Reading
Each player writes down their answer to the question. The Leader attempts to match the players and vice-versa.
The back of the card has a psychological analysis of what it means to pick which drink,
but gamers who want points may try to play the "he thinks what I think he thinks I'll say" metagame.
This category didn't appear in our game.

Social Intelligence
The Leader's Partner asks the question, and the Leader guesses it.
Although the instructions are obvious and simple, in our game, the "all play" cards played in earlier rounds made players assume everyone participated.

Neg
The Leader makes a "worst player" decision.
We didn't have this card played in the game.

Secret Challenge
I'm surprised this "side quest" challenge isn't in more party games.
Unfortunately, this category card didn't show up in our game.
However, there's a "Get Partner to look at your crotch" Secret Challenge card, so that may be just as well...

Components: Besides the question cards, the game comes with pads of paper, pencils, and a sand timer. While the components work, we had some nitpicks. The score pad that came with my copy was unexpectedly glossy, making it difficult to write in pencil, and there wasn't enough room to write everyone's names. Being on the green side, some players tried playing with half-sheets and the back of sheets. However, because the categories have different instructions, this was a bit awkward. Sheets and the cardboard backing of the player pads easily separated. The cards in the card-holder must be removed to fit back in the game box. Finally, there's only four pieces of art in the entire game, with the same picture of Neil Strauss used approximately 300 times (500+ if you count each sheet of paper...)

Conclusion: With WGG's risque content, I'm still reluctant to recommend playing this game cold with certain groups of people. Likewise, some questions ask the current player to first pick another player who's the "most (whatever)" which may not work if the players don't know each other. However, we liked its wide variety of categories, and the game works with adults comfortable with each other. It's a niche party game that plays very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Olson
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kornblum

New York
msg tools
designer
Thanks so much for taking the time to play and review the game! It's really appreciated. We also appreciate the kind words. Just so you know, we have addressed the component production issues.

That being said, glad you enjoyed the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.