Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm a German geek spending these days on a hilarious USA trip. Started in LA, went via palm springs and joshua tree park to grand canyon, wandered today through bryce canyon and will visit las vegas tomorrow.

What a great and amazing country this is.

The next days we'll drive through death valley and yosemite park to san francisco, where we likely will stay a bit. Time to live my hobby!

Do you have any recommendations what to see in the san fran area for an avid board gamer?

Thnx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Get to Endgame in Oakland would be my recommendation. Do you know what days you'll be in the bay area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endgame is good advice - and booked cool thnx!

I expect us to be in sf at this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie L
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamescape in SF is a great store! Cool staff, fantastic selection, lot of events and a deep and storied history. Check them out!
(Plus, you won't have to go to Oakland)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason against oakland?

I wanna see and learn as much as possible. Gamescape is another great addition, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parts of Oakland are kind of dicey, but the part Endgame is in is actually quite nice (and there's a brewery/burger place across the Street.

I can't really recommend Gamescape in good conscience. Their selection is good, but the space is small, the prices are MSRP (though that's true at Endgame too), and their staff is not very knowledgeable about board games. They may know more about RPGs and Magic (but since I don't know much about these things I don't really know). I used to live in SF and I would much prefer going to stores that were further away (Endgame, Black Diamond Games in Concord, Game Kastle in Santa Clara).

There are a couple weekly meetups in SF (Friday and Sunday). Times and locations here: http://sfgames.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:
Is there any reason against oakland?

Don't let them discourage you from visiting. It's a wonderful city!

I lived in El Cerrito (a few miles to the north) for a few years, and spent a lot of time in Oakland. Unless you're in the really bad parts of town (which are easy to spot) it's a really nice place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually work about 2 blocks from Endgame. I have also been to Gamescape. Endgame just feels more like a game store, whereas Gamescape feels somewhere between that and a generic retailer (even though it's a board game store.)

Either one is worth a visit, and both are easily accessible (take BART to 12th Street/Oakland for Endgame...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
woodoo03 wrote:
Hi all, I'm a German geek spending these days on a hilarious USA trip. Started in LA, went via palm springs and joshua tree park to grand canyon, wandered today through bryce canyon and will visit las vegas tomorrow.

The next days we'll drive through death valley and yosemite park to san francisco, where we likely will stay a bit. Time to live my hobby!

Do you have any recommendations what to see in the san fran area for an avid board gamer?

Thnx in advance!

In 2010 I was in San Fransisco for the Java One conference and then I visited the gaming nights at Just Awesome! The Board Game Store. You can get there quite easy with the subway system but I guess that you will have to check how to get back if you stay late because as I remembered it they stopped going at a certain point. I think they where playing games at Thursday nights.

Just Awesome! The Board Game Store
320 W Portal Ave
San Francisco, CA 94127
Neighborhood: West Portal

Fairly certain they went out of business, unfortunately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
JohanCarstensen wrote:
woodoo03 wrote:

Thnx in advance!

In 2010 I was in San Fransisco for the Java One conference and then I visited the gaming nights at Just Awesome! The Board Game Store. You can get there quite easy with the subway system but I guess that you will have to check how to get back if you stay late because as I remembered it they stopped going at a certain point. I think they where playing games at Thursday nights.

Just Awesome! The Board Game Store
320 W Portal Ave
San Francisco, CA 94127
Neighborhood: West Portal

Fairly certain they went out of business, unfortunately...

They did indeed. I played Through the Ages with you there. A lot of the folks who would play there (including the owners) have formed a game club that meets at a guy's house (which unfortunately I don't make it too very often now since I moved down to the south bay (~1 hour drive away)), so while the store is gone, it started a community that lives on, which is pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alright, so it's endgame then. guess my mrs wouldn't be too eager to visit more than one shop - hey, it's her vacation too.

thank you all for your input, very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
If you're going to travel outside the City, may I suggest Ronin Cards and Hobbies in Castro Valley? It's the store I frequent even though it's 40 minutes away from me.

It's a small store but there's space to play, the owner's a good guy, and it has a decent selection of games. He sells games for slightly less than MSRP and gives a discount if he has to order a game for you.

Here's the address:
19601 Center Street
Castro Valley, CA 94546

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:

Thnx in advance!

Sounds like you're having a great vacation visiting some of the natural beauty this country has to offer while you're here. Yosemite has to be one of the great spots in the world, a true wonder. While in the Sierras even though its summer the weather can change from sunny and warm to cold and rainy rather quickly. I just came back from Shaver lake last week and the temperature was down in the low 30's at night while 70's and 80's during the day. Last year at the same time it rained steady for a few days, you never know what you're going to get.

One of these day's I must get to Europe to see the beauty it has to offer. My wife went a few years ago and keeps telling me I must go, maybe just this once I'll listen to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, back in Germany. just wanted to say thank you for all your support.

our travel to the States was most impressing and rewarding and will be a memory for our life. the nature is overwhelming, the people open and friendly, and I think I do understand the cultural background of many BGG postings better than before.

concerning your recommendations:

- Endgame in Oakland was a professional store with a fine selection. I found most of it very similar to German stores. The only game that met my interests and wasn't available in Germany was Kung Fu Fighting, which I found in the back of the store and was a nice souvenir.

- Ronin Cards and Hobbies in Castro Valley was closed when we arrived (11:15 am) and I couldn't persuade my spouse to wait 45 mins for such a tiny store what a pity.

- Game Empire in Pasadena was the biggest hit. what a great store with plenty of opportunities for playing on site. I got 51st State there. unfortunately my suitcase space totally refused to accept Super Dungeon Explore modest

this was definitely NOT our last visit in the States!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls