Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I've written a small tool to help me plan my tour through the halls of Essen and now you can use it too: essengeek.dssr.ch essengeek.pcs-box.ch essengeek.damasch.ch
If you're unsure about the tool then you can try it out using the dummy account "essengeek" (PW: "mini").

Also I'm now using a professional bug-tracker. Direct bug reports, feature requests and such here.

Features:
* Prioritize how badly you want to see the various games
* Add a small note to any game
* Remind yourself that you have pre-ordered a game
* A print view with thumbnails, notes, essential info about the game and sorted by priority.
* A print view with all booths where you have games to check out.
* Password reset mechanism
* A print view of the hall maps with all booths highlighted that have games you're interested it.
* More entries in the "favorite games" stats
* Added a sitemap page that should allow all ISomething users to more easily navigate the tool.
* You can now change the "priority" of all games of a category with just one click.

ToDo List:
* Better Password reset mechanism
* Usability enhancements
* A way for users to "publish" their lists for everyone to see (optional)
* Adding publisher info to the printable booth list.

Important News:
This is hopefully going to be the last domain change. We've gone from a server hosted by a friend to a server running on my father's domain and now to a commercially hosted server running under my own domain. This way I'm no longer dependent on someone else to fix problems in their spare time. All your data has been migrated to the new server at essengeek.damasch.ch.

Screenshots:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(reserved)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you add a screenshot? I'm inhibited to registering somewhere if I don't know what it does. I'm definitely interested, though.

BUG: Links are to http://www.boardgamegeek, missing the ".com"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting tool but can I ask - how are you deciding which games to have on the full list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, too. Thanks for sharing it! One request: Is there a possibility for a "save all changes" button? There are many games I don't care about, and so far I have to save "ignore" for every single one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A skinned math nerd wrote:
Could you add a screenshot? I'm inhibited to registering somewhere if I don't know what it does. I'm definitely interested, though.

BUG: Links are to http://www.boardgamegeek, missing the ".com"
Thanks for the heads-up. I fixed it.

As for registering. The only thing I'm saving is your username and a salted hash of your password. I hope the screenshot gives you an idea of what it does. Also I've registered a dummy account "essengeek" with the password "mini". If you want to try it out without registering you can use that.

davidestall wrote:
Interesting tool but can I ask - how are you deciding which games to have on the full list?
I don't understand. Are you asking me how I populate the list for you to choose from or on what grounds I personally assign priorities?

The former is easy: I crawl the Essen preview GeekList and simply add everything to a local database.

The later is more difficult. You've got to research the game yourself. The tool doesn't do that for you. I read up on the mechanics of the game, perhaps even some reviews if there are any and then think about what phrase most adequately describes the game for me:
* I'd like to see this in Essen
* I want to see this in Essen
* I need to see this in Essen

The "Need" priority is for game that I would be very disappointed if I didn't get to try it. The "Want" priority is for games that sound promising and I'll make an effort to check them out. The "Like" priority is for games that sound interesting but checking them out would be more to satisfy my curiosity.

HilkMAN wrote:
I like this idea, too. Thanks for sharing it! One request: Is there a possibility for a "save all changes" button? There are many games I don't care about, and so far I have to save "ignore" for every single one of them.
Well. I've been thinking about something like that myself. The problem is that the current solution is simple and works while implementing such a button would require a significantly more complex script. It's on my list but frankly, its not a priority...

I could add a simple "Ignore" button like we have it here on BGG? That would reduce the number of clicks as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Kempeth wrote:
I don't understand. Are you asking me how I populate the list for you to choose from or on what grounds I personally assign priorities?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear... I meant the former.

Kempeth wrote:
The former is easy: I crawl the Essen preview GeekList and simply add everything to a local database.

Ah OK, got it, thanks!

Kempeth wrote:
The later is more difficult. You've got to research the game yourself. The tool doesn't do that for you.

Yep totally understood.

Thanks very much for building this tool, I think it will really help for my first trip to Essen.

Cheers!
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be really awesome, if you could add a column to display the hall and booth of an entry. Don't worry about having to fill in that information all by yourself - just make it globally editable with a textbox and whoever needs it in his list can add that information himself from a publication like spielbox when it becomes available. Then add an option to group the output by halls and it would be incredibly useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:

HilkMAN wrote:
Well. I've been thinking about something like that myself. The problem is that the current solution is simple and works while implementing such a button would require a significantly more complex script. It's on my list but frankly, its not a priority...

I could add a simple "Ignore" button like we have it here on BGG? That would reduce the number of clicks as well...

Thanks, that would help a lot already! I know little about the programming effort, so I am happy to put that into your hands...

And the suggestion about the hall numbers is also a great one.

Thanks for everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
Thanks, that would help a lot already! I know little about the programming effort, so I am happy to put that into your hands...

And the suggestion about the hall numbers is also a great one.

Thanks for everything!

Ok. I'll add the buttons, then.

As for the hall numbers: I'm hesitant to make the fields publicly editable. Last year I've made this big google docs spreadsheet about the releases and invited others to help out. Not 2 weeks later someone had deleted about 90% of all the entries...

Also. Some games will be there with multiple publishers so a single field will not be enough. I do plan to add this information - I just don't know how yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
As for the hall numbers: I'm hesitant to make the fields publicly editable. Last year I've made this big google docs spreadsheet about the releases and invited others to help out. Not 2 weeks later someone had deleted about 90% of all the entries...

That's really strange, but if you don't allow anonymous editing but only for logged in users, I wouldn't expect defacement like that. Google Docs does have a history mechanism, so you could have reverted to the version directly before the blanking, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, the new Ignore and Skip buttons are awesome, thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great tool, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
This is really useful - thanks!

Is the tool down at the moment? I couldn't get to it this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
outlier wrote:
Is the tool down at the moment? I couldn't get to it this morning.

Yes. Unfortunately there seems to be some kind of problem with the server...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally implemented the print view for the "Game list". I've also added a second view called "Booth list" that contains less information but is grouped by hall and booth number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Bol
Netherlands
Woerden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Come play some games in Woerden!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
I've finally implemented the print view for the "Game list". I've also added a second view called "Booth list" that contains less information but is grouped by hall and booth number.

Is it possible to add to the printables games list to add the hall and boothnumbers? That would be really awsome!

Also did add this thread to this geeklist: Essen 2012 collection of lists
Hope you dont mind, otherwise let me know and I will delete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fantastic tool. If I should see you in Essen, I'll have to thank you personally for putting it together. It's such a great way to avoid aimlessly wandering around the halls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Dizzy wrote:
That's a fantastic tool. If I should see you in Essen, I'll have to thank you personally for putting it together. It's such a great way to avoid aimlessly wandering around the halls.

I always have an aim, I just don't know where the target is

I hope to try this app this year, only found it afterwards last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cabol wrote:
Kempeth wrote:

Is it possible to add to the printables games list to add the hall and boothnumbers? That would be really awsome!
It should already do that. The publisher and booth information should appear below the name and stats of the game. Unfortunately someone seems to have deleted most of what I've already entered... I was afraid this was going to happen again.

cabol wrote:
Also did add this thread to this geeklist: Essen 2012 collection of lists
Hope you dont mind, otherwise let me know and I will delete it.
No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
How does someone delete the booth information from your app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Any logged in user can edit the data and help completing/correcting it. Unfortunately that also means they can delete stuff that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
Any logged in user can edit the data and help completing/correcting it. Unfortunately that also means they can delete stuff that is correct.

Maybe add a large note on the Booth page that the data is visible by everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
How often does it update with new games from the Preview list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
How often does it update with new games from the Preview list?
Updates are currently triggered manually. I just launched another one so it should be up to date again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.