Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con 2012 is just weeks away so it's time for another Gen Con Math Trade!

Request GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/144447/gen-con-2012-no...

Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/144448/gen-con-2012-no...

If you are participating in this math trade use of the OLWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating your want list(s) (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OLWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll only ever give something away if you also receive something in exchange for it that you chose! And if there's nothing you want for a given title you don't have to trade it.

Key dates and times

Open for posting games: Now through Sunday, July 29th, 2012, 11pm Eastern time.

Want list submission period: Sunday, July 29th, 2012 (shortly after submission closes) to Sunday, August 5th, 11pm Eastern time.

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no ship event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, August 18th at 10am in Hall E to exchange games and you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items. Please note that this is a new location for the trade that will be dedicated to us until 11 a.m. (thanks to Lee Maile for reserveing this space for us). It may be loud in there so I recommend making a small sign with your Board Game Geek ID that you can hold up so that people can find you more easily.

(If you need more detail on where this is then check out the maps of the convention center available at...

http://www.icclos.com/floor-plans.aspx

Then click on Level 1 and Hall E is close to the middle of the map (the Serpentine lobby where we met last year is in the upper right corner).

OK - some simple rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

* Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline.

* Errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you made a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can always make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

* This is a no ship event. All exchanges are to be made at Gen Con 2012 as above. If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for both shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but please don't let it come to that.

* Gift certificates and Geekgold (GG) are allowed in this math trade, but arbitrage of these is not (trading a lower cash value item for a higher cash value item). DVDs, RPGs, computer games and other relevant items of interest are all permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time.

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OLWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description. If your item is not the English version or a multilingual version that includes English rules then the supported languages MUST be disclosed in the description (copies/printouts of English rules are fine, but it must be disclosed that the game was not originally English from the manufacturer). This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it is complete solely because the person giving it to you told you it was. If a game is found to be missing pieces then it will be the giver's responsibility to rectify that. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available. This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

Other useful information

OWLG Metric Used: USER-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm an hour late posting something, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, and running it without the OLWLG is twice as much work.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those familiar with Math Trades and the Gen Con trade in particular the big change this year (in addition to dates/times) is that we have space in Hall E for trading so we won't be crowded out in the Serpentine Lobby as we were last year. Also, please bring a small sign that you can hold up so that people can easily find you during the trade... that'll help so that we don't have to shout for one another as it may be loud in there.

You can send your thanks to Lee Maile for reserving this space for us:

N/A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Hall E open to the public? I live locally and don't plan to attend, but would like to participate in the math trade. Just need to know whether I'll be able to access the room without a badge or will need to find a proxy.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbhuter6041 wrote:
Is Hall E open to the public? I live locally and don't plan to attend, but would like to participate in the math trade. Just need to know whether I'll be able to access the room without a badge or will need to find a proxy.

Jeff
Based on what I remember from last year I don't believe it is open to the public... I think you'd need to find a proxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, I scheduled a 1.5 hour event for 10 am Saturday for myself and my friends. Looks like I miss the Math Trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Doh, I scheduled a 1.5 hour event for 10 am Saturday for myself and my friends. Looks like I miss the Math Trade.
Last year, I think I made six trades. All of them except for one exchange were arranged and completed prior to the scheduled "trade time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
jbhuter6041 wrote:

Jeff
Based on what I remember from last year I don't believe it is open to the public... I think you'd need to find a proxy.
This is by no means official, but I believe you WOULD be able to access that hall without a badge. Last year they checked badges entering the main exhibit floor, but not to access the thoroughfare hallways. For events such as the NFL Experience last February you wouldn't have been able to get to Hall E without a ticket. However, if Gen Con is set up in the same way as last year... I THINK you'll be alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Last year, I think I made six trades. All of them except for one exchange were arranged and completed prior to the scheduled "trade time".
Thanks Joel, I will toss my few games in and see how it goes then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we need to do anything special to join this math trade or just start adding items to the geeklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkJedi wrote:
Do we need to do anything special to join this math trade or just start adding items to the geeklist?
Just start adding to the GeekList although you will need to get set up at the OLWLG in order to create your wants list... links for details on that are in the 'rules' message at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You said GG and gift certificates are allowed, any chance cash is allowed (i.e., gen con spending money)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything about Math Trades is intimidating to me... but this might be the right time to make the plunge.

Need to up my gamer cred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Everything about Math Trades is intimidating to me... but this might be the right time to make the plunge.

Because you need to fly games both ways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

Because you need to fly games both ways?
I'm packing nothing but games. NOTHING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
fury00 wrote:
adreeve wrote:
jbhuter6041 wrote:

Jeff
This is by no means official, but I believe you WOULD be able to access that hall without a badge. Last year they checked badges entering the main exhibit floor, but not to access the thoroughfare hallways. For events such as the NFL Experience last February you wouldn't have been able to get to Hall E without a ticket. However, if Gen Con is set up in the same way as last year... I THINK you'll be alright.
This is what I remember as well. I was a big time proxy last year (but I am not going to Gen Con this year) and I had a friend pull up a car and we wheeled in a cart of games. There was no badge checker at that door and my friend stayed with the car so we were not toed. We got the trades done and were driving away in about 3/4 hour. It would have been much less if I did not have a huge list of games to swap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cate108 wrote:
fury00 wrote:
adreeve wrote:
jbhuter6041 wrote:

Jeff
This is what I remember as well. I was a big time proxy last year (but I am not going to Gen Con this year) and I had a friend pull up a car and we wheeled in a cart of games. There was no badge checker at that door and my friend stayed with the car so we were not toed. We got the trades done and were driving away in about 3/4 hour. It would have been much less if I did not have a huge list of games to swap.
I'll do one more response on this topic and then let it go...

First, it's your job to ensure that your games get delivered to the appropriate recipients. I'm not a big fan of having everyone post that they're not going to be at the trade and that arrangements will have to be made outside of the trade time. It's fair enough to do so, but I've done several trades where I've had 20, 30, 40 items to trade and muleing an item here and there became my whole convention. I'm subject to this same issue at, for example, Origins where I've had events scheduled during the math trade and have found ways to make it work (aka proxys) so please either try to be at the trade OR have a proxy be there for you if at all possible.

Second, Cate's example above is NOT relevant as I'm assuming she didn't read that we're NOT in the Serpentine lobby like we were last year. Yes, there's been no badge checker in the Serpentine lobby in past years... but that's not where the trade is this time around.

Finally, I ran games in what I recall was Hall E last year. I'm quite sure there was a badge checker at the door to enter that hall (it's not a thoroughfare hallway). If I'm wrong then so be it, but if you're wrong and counting on walking on in without a badge at 10 a.m. then you're going to be out of luck. You'll have to decide whether you want to take the risk of this becoming a ship math trade for you in the event that you can't make your trades because of such a miscalculation. I think it's better to be safe than sorry and assume you won't be able to get in without a badge and try to find a proxy.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any concerns about this. I certainly want as many people to participate as possible, but I also want this to go smoothly and don't want anyone left trying to hunt down their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
You said GG and gift certificates are allowed, any chance cash is allowed (i.e., gen con spending money)?
You know... I'm really not big on restricting things. Phrase it as a Gen Con Gift Certificate useable at any merchant in the United States and I'll look the other way ninja

The only reason I incorporate the no arbitrage rule is that a) I'm a copycat from other math trades and b) it would seem that there's more likely to be an error for such a trade to occur although that's debateable given a large trade loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
Second, Cate's example above is NOT relevant as I'm assuming she didn't read that we're NOT in the Serpentine lobby like we were last year. Yes, there's been no badge checker in the Serpentine lobby in past years... but that's not where the trade is this time around.
My mistake. blush

I honestly could not remember where we did the exchange last year.

Please disregard my previous post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm free that day until 11:00 so count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a OLWLG question. When I am editing my wants in the table, and I have two different games in a row checked off, am I saying I would trade Game A and Game B, or am I saying I would trade Game A or Game B?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Namrok wrote:
I have a OLWLG question. When I am editing my wants in the table, and I have two different games in a row checked off, am I saying I would trade Game A and Game B, or am I saying I would trade Game A or Game B?
I hope to redeem myself with useful information here:

You are saying that you will trade Game A OR Game B. Think of each entry as independent. There is no bundling within the OLWLG. Bundling only occurs if multiple items are listed in the same original geeklist entry.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know, I was hoping that was the case, but it was hard to tell! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Ok, a friend of mine offered to take trades to the con for me, but I dont exactly understand everything.I need to just put them on the OLWLG site? What are the request and trade geekslists for? I'm so confused, a summarized help would be amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time