Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Here's the deal, I was just in the mood to do "something" (anything) boardgame related, I've already been on BGG most of the day, and none of my friends were available today, so I thought I'd look in my game closet, I had forgotten that I have a couple of old AH bookcase games (I have no clue how I got them). Now normally I'm not a fan of combat resolution in hex and counter wargames, but I thought I'd give it a shot and learn how to play one of 'em (besides, I have nothing better to do).
Well, I started out with MBT. Although the theme doesn't appeal to me, I don't think a bad theme can single-handedly kill a game for me. Unfortunately a 52 page rulebook can kill it. Well, MBT went right back in the box. Next up is Guns of August. The 20-some page rules seems a bit more manageable. But then one look at the board, ugh, I've taken craps that are more visually appealing than the board for this game. Bad art + low rank on BGG means back in the box for this too. Anyway, my point being, I'm not normally a fan of hex and counter wargames, but I think they've got some good things going for them (I like the depth in them) so I would like to give them a chance, but at the same time, I don't want to have to take a college level class to learn how to play. If you've got any suggestions.......

(as always, only list a game if it is still possible to get ahold of without having to rob a bank)

Thanks,
Matthew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can try Starfight from BAP games, and Sergeants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For hex based, take a look at MMP's Fire in the Sky. Beautiful counters and map, Hex based, novel mechanics (manages to elegantly incorporate strategic and operational elements into a single system), reasonably priced, has free pbem support (via cyberboard) and can be completed ftf in a long evening session.
That being said, if you only buy one wargame this year, I would recommend Bonaparte at Marengo for a combination of elegance, simplicity, and replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Fire in the Sky. It's a great looking game that actually has a lot going for it in the rules.

I also like Lock 'n' Load, if you want more tactical gaming.

Both games have excellent, colorful counters and maps plus easy to learn rules with some depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt:

Sergeants isn't that bad of an idea, but it is another Taylor game and the one you mentioned is by the same designer, so...

I took a look at my wargames and subtracted all that were CDGs and block games, because there are plenty of geeklists for those games if you were looking for something like that (Quebec 1759 for example has very short rules, but isn't hex based). Then I removed everything that had complex rules (like Eastfront, Rommel in the Desrt, Rise & Decline of the 3rd Reich, Crisis: Sinai 1973, Europa Universalis, GBOH: Alex Deluxe, Carthage, ROTRR, and Fortress Europa). This is what was left:

1776, Blitzkrieg, A House Divided, Panzer Leader, Panzerblitz, Squad Leader (not all that complicated w/o the expansions), and Tobruk. Of these, I think the best looking board is the Phalanx verison of A House Divided, but it's not hex-based - it's point-to-point.

Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader are games I like, but I doubt if they will rock your world. Blitzkrieg is a classic game, but I haven't played it in years except when I was teaching it to my sun as a beginner's game. There are so many better games. 1776 is a very good game and so is Squad Leader. Both are pretty cheap - $10-20.

If you want to try a great Point to Point game that has a simple rule set, you might think about A House Divided. It is a _beautiful_ game. If you want an easy CDG, maybe Age of Napoleon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Sky is beautiful, but I think the rules are too complicated, based on Matt's reaction to the other game. Maybe you can download the rules online and take a look?

I didn't find any on ebay, but it's available from Fine Games, a vendor I've purchased games from before and can recommend:

IRE IN THE SKY 2ND (MMP) $38.50 BC 1.5 NEW
Simpler, strategic level game of the war in the Pacific in WW2. Revised
(into English) from the popular Japanese game. 1 map, 180 1"counters.
3mo/turn, 900km/hex. T.Nakamura'05

www.finegames.com I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, why not take the time & effort to ''print & play'' some of these?:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Check out the ones here, and IF you can, then I exhort YOU & any others to REWARD the 'list-maker' with some well deserved 'Geek Gold' upon this 'matter'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bunker Hill games has it for 36.00 (and only charges EXACT shipping!). John and Sam are princes among men; I buy all my non-manufacturer purchased wargames from there and have been very satisfied with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess I'm an old AH purist who likes a game that's simple to learn and play but also offers several strategic options to keep the opponent guessing and to make it interesting to play over and over. For me that would be AH "Waterloo." I've never tired of it. The SPI Napoleon Quads, especially "The Battle of Nations: Leipzig" is also very easy to learn and play and offers some strategic decisions. For WWII, AH "Stalingrad" is another good old classic, but the dice early on can make you or break you -- still, it's a very fun game to play as long as the dice don't favor one side or the other. All of these games are playable in 2-3 hours. I've always hunted for an easy to play strategic-level American Civil War game but I'm still looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some simple hex and counter games:

Russian Campaign - in print via L2 (4th edition), plus earlier AH editions common on eBay. Basic game has ~8 pages of rules.

Afrika Korps - out of print AH game, but common on eBay. Another short rule book but a fun game.

Waterloo - out of print AH game mentioned earlier in this thread, again easily obtained on eBay and a fun game with a minimal rule book.

Onslaught - out of print SPI/TSR game of D-Day campaign, fairly common on eBay, another simple affair to learn.

A point on these games - none of them are considered accurate simulations, but they are all FUN GAMES. (And, agreeing with a post the other day from a John Patton, even the most "accurate simulation" wargames really don't simulate war very well at all, so don't get hung up on the supposed simulation value of certain wargames. No real commander would ever have the overall level of command and control (not to mention the near perfect information) that wargames allow the players to exercise - just play the game for the fun of playing the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Clash for a Continent", "Memoir 44" and "Battle Cry". "Clash" is probably the most realistic of the 3. Only a handful of pages and easy to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M.
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MMP, makers of ASL and The Gamers series (some of the best wargames going around) has a deal you might like:

Target: Arnhem is a FREE (you read right, FREE) wargame they are shipping out to hook people like yourself into the wargaming scene. It's a WWII operational scale (meaning you play with divisions of troops) game that covers Operation Market Garden which was the basis of the book and film "A Bridge Too Far".

From playing it so far it's a kick ass little game for being free, all I had to do was pay for shipping. It's challenging for the Allied player to make it up "Hell's Highway" to Arnhem but they aren't push-overs in this system.

Check it out at www.multimanpublishing.com if it sounds good to you.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Target Arnhem is a great way to meet MMP and find out a bit more about the hobby. MMP also makes Fire in the Sky and, also, something that might fit exactly what you are looking for, a gaming line called SCS (Standard Combat Series). These games all share a common basic rules set so that after you learn one, many other battles open up to be played without the long learning period. Mighty Endeavor (which is on the campaign for France in 1944) is very good. Have a look here:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/theGamers/prodscstme.php

Not getting much word but I have put in the IGS line for MMP (which makes Fire in the Sky and Target Arnhem) is Victory Lost which is up for prepub right now. This game is being made for players exactly like YOU. 8 pages of rules (and only that long because it is full of exposition, color graphics and explanations you normally don't get in a wargame) and being playtested and proofread by non-wargamers to make it as easy to learn as possible for people without years of hobby knowledge. It only gets made if enough buy it but I hope you can be patient and give it a vote. MMP doesn't charge you until they affix the postage on your order and send it to you.

Please check this out:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/preorder/viewGame.php?id=2...

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the AH smithsonian games are good and no one has sugested a naval game, so i'll put up midway (smithsonian ed) or gaudal canal. both simple, quite pretty, and only 60-90mins long. mustangs is not bad also, but you tend to endup flying in circles.

hav fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, feel like I'm plugging APL a lot today, but all of their games have the goal of having the core rules under 16 pages.

You can check out their "Great War at Sea" series if Dreadnought-era warfare is of passing interest. "Second World War at Sea" for..well, WW2 naval operations.

And, of course, for pushing tanks and infantry around a table, they have their "Panzer Grenadier" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.