Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if anyone else can confirm that Citadel Games in Groton, CT has gone out of business.

I went over a year ago and found the store empty, but I can't find any online documentation to help confirm this, and the old phone number just gives a busy signal, not an out of service message.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want people going out of their way and being just as crestfallen as I was. Thanks!

[Title updated after responses; thanks again!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Citadel Games in Groton, CT, CLOSED
Or, if anyone can prove I just had a severe hallucination and say that the store is still alive and kicking, I will be even happier!

...though I will then probably be extremely concerned about my apparent psychotic break; that's the trade off, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Clausen
United States
Dudley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there on June 7th of this year for the first time ever. WELL stocked! I have know idea if they have closed since then, but they had thousands of games, I've never seen that kind of inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seraph77 wrote:
Wondering if anyone else can confirm that Citadel Games in Groton, CT has gone out of business.

I went over a year ago and found the store empty, but Yelp still won't update the status as closed. I can't find any online documentation to help confirm this, and the old phone number just gives a busy signal, not an out of service message.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want people going out of their way and being just as crestfallen as I was. Thanks!

Did you go to the right address? He moved a few buildings down the road. The store doesn't face the road anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkircher wrote:
He moved a few buildings down the road. The store doesn't face the road anymore.
That is great news, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that place has been around forever! Nice to hear that it's still open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent requests to Yelp and Facebook to correct their address for the Citadel, but a lot of other sites still have the wrong address.

If you belong to any sites that still say 537 Long Hill Road instead of 565, you may want to ask they update it. (Also, it's now the Citadel Game Cellar instead of Citadel Games, but that's probably not a huge deal.)

Peace!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecil Deveau
United States
Stonington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still open? I just moved back to the area and saw they moved next to dangelos since I'd left Groton. They're closed right now so I can't tell. I see empty display cases but also shelves stacked with games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure; the store's website had new posts just over a week ago: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CitadelGameCellar/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Arpin
United States
Baltic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there pretty recently (within the past 6 weeks or so) and it was open. They run hours that make bankers jealous so I can't normally get there when they are open and it is about half hour each way for me anyway.

They have a sign out by the street, then when you get in the parking lot you have to go down the driveway to the left and their door is about halfway down the hill. It is quite literally in the cellar of that mini-strip mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live a few blocks away from there and stop in every couple of weeks. It's really hard to tell when they are open. There is really only that one window on the door and its always dim inside whether they are open or closed. You almost just have to check the door to see if its open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WrittenZero wrote:
I live a few blocks away from there and stop in every couple of weeks. It's really hard to tell when they are open. There is really only that one window on the door and its always dim inside whether they are open or closed. You almost just have to check the door to see if its open.

That sounds like a pretty poor business practice. If you are friendly with the owner, maybe tell him he should invest in a OPEN/CLOSED sign so he doesn't needlessly lose sales. And from your description, he should probably also invest in some lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecil Deveau
United States
Stonington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what he has in stock, as well as his hours, I think he probably isn't in it for the money. His stock is amazing, and he's plenty amiable... people seem to find him and buy what he needs. He does not use Alliance for distribution though, so you cant get any products from game companies that have an exclusive deal with them (Days of Wonder for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citadel Game Cellar
msg tools
Yes It is still open: 11-6 Week days, 11-5 Saturday, 1-5 Sundays

While not all lines are activly carried; it still has the most Hobby Game titles including many out of print.

860 445 0641
citadelgames@sbcglobal.net

Facebook Group 'Citadel Game Cellar'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Pat; glad to see you here!

I've made sure Yelp corrected their data, and I look forward to my next annual pilgrimage from "up north".

Peace,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Vierosos
msg tools
mb
I was in there today and Google had the right store hours. It's way in the back down the driveway and the door is not inviting, and it's a dimly-lit, very dusty basement, but he has tons of stuff and knew exactly where to find what I wanted and knew what he didn't have. Definitely not a traditional commercial store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Vierosos
msg tools
mb
I will attempt to post photos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put photos of the signs up on Yelp, but still feel awkward about taking interior pics. I just gotta get over it, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grills
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
So, what does the wargame (Used and current ) selection look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless things have changed, there were a ton. (I’d wait for others to confirm, but I can remember seeing a lot, quite a bit of older stuff, too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a ton of used , but a very wide selection on new wargames and a far amount of older ones as well. This was about two months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls