Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been tempted to try this and finally did. I bought wifi access on my flight today across the US and after getting a couple sensible things done I put out a call for a WotR opponent. The new Dunlending release of the Java client has been so gorgeously upgraded with the 2e map and a functioning Mordor track that i was itching to give it another whirl. Uthoroc obliged by hosting. I donned Sauron's mantle and chose Shadow.

Despite my already half spent battery, it was good fun getting in the start of a game. Confined in an economy class window seat, the laptop screen pulled me into a world far wider and anticipation-filled, and so began yet again the War of the Ring.

Uthoroc rolled W W W C (or was it M?) and, thanks to Fear Fire Foes, had the audacity to have the Heir of Isildur proclaim himself in Minas Tirith while a grumpy dwarf roused the North to war. Saruman warily eyed the hobbit that Strider had deposited in Fangorn, and the only riposte i could muster was to play my starting Strategy card: Stormcrow! The Steward was not going to give way to some up-jumped 80-something Dunadan returned from the mists of legend, and an active Gondor was now 3 steps from war. Take that!

The next turn all I had was Palantirs and one Character die. A New Power Rose while Mordor slept, and the Nazgul converged on Orthanc to cast Dreadul Spells on the small garrison at the fords, but failed to clear the path for Isengard's burgeoning host. Gandalf's staff thwarted a tile draw as the FSP got moving.

Then, as the war drums began to beat in earnest along the banks of the Isen, Gandalf took a 3 and reincarnated in Fangorn. Grrrr. Brooding darkly, I chose the Southrons as my next pawn to advance, augmenting them with Olog-hai and dispatching the Black Captain to lead them out of Harad to flush the garrison from Osgiliath. The FSP was moving slowly, but there would now be six blue dice rolling each turn. While Uthoroc contemplated his next move I switched apps to check my work mail and - gah! - the connection was broken! Not epic at all...

My battery nearly gone, I resigned myself to crushing Isildur's preening heir at a later opportunity. After all, it's taken an Age to get myself all set up in Barad-dur again to claim the dominion of Middle-Earth, what do a few more hours or days matter?

See the rest of the session report here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In-flight WOTR - very cool

Should be made available instead of the in-flight movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome session report! Thanks! Do you have the log file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
The log is here. My password was "geheim", I don't know Rafamir's.

Be aware that there is a lot of reloading and syncing happening in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used no password.